Featured Topic: Session Enhancers

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Featured Topic: Session Enhancers

Postby makingachange on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:10 pm

http://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/ ... le_id/1220
I found several great ideas in this article.. new ideas as well as a twist on things that i already do. have you tried any of the things mentioned in this article? what are your experiences?

the heated oil works very well in my practice - the clients just melt with it. i haven't had too much luck with the stones (but it's very warm down here now), but the hibiscus scrub we use is out of this world.

~amanda[/b]
Last edited by makingachange on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Great link, I'll have to refer back to it and read some more!

I tried heated oil for a bit for the Ayurvedic Reflexology routine but found it really slippery. How do you handle that aspect? I was using sesame oil, I believe, and some kasa/kansa bowl (depending on who you ask) work but got frustrated from all of the slip-sliding around. :lol:

I've been using hot stones steadily for nearly every session, year round, for a bit over a year now. Prior to that I was exclusively keeping it as a winter routine but clients got a little upset that I was planning to put the stone heater away for the summer. So, I kept it out and had so many raves I'm going into my second summer with it. I also use cold stones during the summer which I've found is very popular with my nurses and runners with plantar fascia pain. My expecting clients love it too.

I'd love to hear about the hibiscus scrub, that sounds yummy!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby AngEngland on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 pm

I use an herbal hot pack (the kidn you are supposed to microwave to heat up) on the client's back once I finish their back massage portion. I cover them with the top sheet, get the herbal pack out of my hot towel cabi (I LOVE that thing!) and then either cover with a large towel folded in half or the blanket if the client has asked for a blanket.

Everyone LOVES it. I only have one client who is hot-natured and prefers to do without....and then only on warm days. :-) He is a weekly so he always just says "Let's do that pack thing today" if he wants it. 9 times out of 10 he does it.

I get lots of comments from new clients coming in about how their friend said I have this pack thing I put on their backs....blah, blah, blah. It stands out in people's minds!
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:02 pm

AngEngland wrote:I use an herbal hot pack (the kidn you are supposed to microwave to heat up) on the client's back once I finish their back massage portion. I cover them with the top sheet, get the herbal pack out of my hot towel cabi (I LOVE that thing!) and then either cover with a large towel folded in half or the blanket if the client has asked for a blanket.

Sounds cool! (or warm rather) I wonder how it could be incorporated into a Reflexology session? Maybe use it on the belly instead? Or would it be comfortable for someone to recline into a heated pack on their back? I might have to roll that idea around in my mind a bit. The microwavable neck warmer has been a big hit for my headache and tension-pain clients but I never thought about using heat on the lower back. Neat idea. :idea:
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby makingachange on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Dragonflies wrote:
AngEngland wrote:I use an herbal hot pack (the kidn you are supposed to microwave to heat up) on the client's back once I finish their back massage portion. I cover them with the top sheet, get the herbal pack out of my hot towel cabi (I LOVE that thing!) and then either cover with a large towel folded in half or the blanket if the client has asked for a blanket.

Sounds cool! (or warm rather) I wonder how it could be incorporated into a Reflexology session? Maybe use it on the belly instead? Or would it be comfortable for someone to recline into a heated pack on their back? I might have to roll that idea around in my mind a bit. The microwavable neck warmer has been a big hit for my headache and tension-pain clients but I never thought about using heat on the lower back. Neat idea. :idea:

i've actually done this on the tummy, specifically for women coming in with reproductive issues. they love it - the weight and the warmth which seems to bring extra comfort during emotionally different times.

re: the warmed oil - i use it for massage after the reflexology portion. i use quite a bit of it at first and then wrap the foot with a warmed, dry towel. then move to the other foot and do the same. when i get back to the first foot, i drag the warmed towel off which removes most of the excess. then i massage as normal, and wipe the soles of the feet to prevent the client slip-sliding when they stand up.

ETA: the hibiscus scrub is sugar based, and it is yummy. i've also found a wonderful green tea & crushed rice scrub that is very uplifting. i've also found that mixing oatmeal with a squirt of an aloe leaf is great too.

~amanda
Last edited by makingachange on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby Seattlesunshine on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:40 pm

I like to end my sessions with hot towel compressions on the feet. And its funny because if I skip it for some reason then my regulars sure notice! Also I use a hot rolled up towel under the neck most times. Clients tell me thats pure heaven. Never experienced it myself but they love it. Its those extra lil things that bring em back huh!
Seattlesunshine
Registered Member

Postby AngEngland on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Dragonflies wrote:

Do you work one foot at a time? What about having it laid out where they could rest the "unworked" foot on it while you were working on the other foot?

I've had two clients ask me to place the hot pack UNDER their shoulders when I flip them "belly up" so maybe you could just bring it out for them to lay on under their shoulders and upper back?

I just thought I would throw it out there because it is the one thing I KNOW my clients remember and talk about because their referrals have mentioned it. :-)

Angela <><
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby makingachange on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:07 pm

this got me thinking about the contrast tx that we do too... for clients with migraines. we have a 'fire and ice' session where they're reclined for the reflexology (not flat). i keep one of the herbal neck wraps in the freezer and place this around their neck with the hot sanijet bath (or hot towels) for their feet. there's something about the contrast that helps the headache leave quickly. we do this as a 30-45 minute tx instead of the traditional 1 to 1 &1/4 hr session. it works well and it's usually scheduled last-minute and on a lunch break.
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:17 am

AngEngland wrote:
Dragonflies wrote:

Do you work one foot at a time? What about having it laid out where they could rest the "unworked" foot on it while you were working on the other foot?

I've had two clients ask me to place the hot pack UNDER their shoulders when I flip them "belly up" so maybe you could just bring it out for them to lay on under their shoulders and upper back?

I just thought I would throw it out there because it is the one thing I KNOW my clients remember and talk about because their referrals have mentioned it. :-)

Angela <><

Sorry Angela I'm just coming back to this! I use the Universal style of Reflexology primarily so I work both feet system by system. A lot of Reflexologists are trained in the Ingham method and work one foot for 20-30 minutes and then the second foot for 20-30 minutes but I haven't done that in years. I also work from a zero gravity chair (like this one) - it cradles the spine heavenly but tall clients have their ankles hanging off the leg rest. I do warm my hand towels which is a big hit in cold weather - when I am not doing bilat. work I keep one foot covered, even if for only a couple of minutes.

I think this winter I will offer a microwaved rice bag for the abdomen or a microwaved neck roll for the neck and shoulders and see how it goes. If anything it will help take the chill out of a below zero day for a client. :D
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts