Transferring UK qualifications to US

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

lplkemc
Fresh Hands

Transferring UK qualifications to US

Post by lplkemc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:41 pm

I have searched the net high and low (and probably not in the right places) but am having a difficult time with licensing in the US. I understand that some states do not license reflexology separate from massage (pity, that), and the most I have been able to find is some kind of mechanical reflexology (kind of scary).

Any points in the right direction would be helpful. Possibly moving to Texas, New Jersey, or even southeast US.

Thanks in advance.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - george eliot

Dragonflies
Site Admin

Post by Dragonflies » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:54 pm

I would recommend you to the Reflexology Association of America. I know of two reflexologists in Texas (know both of them personally) that are trying to form a state association. If you find out Texas is the place you could contact them through the RAA and get specific details.

I believe New Jersey has a massage licensing law, I'd need to check that to be sure.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull

lplkemc
Fresh Hands

Post by lplkemc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Thank you very much!

It has been a while since I did search (as we thought we were moving sooner rather than later).

Texas is always a possibility as that is where I am from, but we are hoping my DH gets to transfer with his job and that would most probably be NJ (or a lesser possibility of VA).

My qualification is from ITEC - International Therapies Examination Council. I do see they are now in the US, so hopefully this won't be too difficult.

Thanks again!
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - george eliot

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:38 am

i'd love to have you in the southeast!

here in AL, reflexology is governed under massage therapy.

way back before there was massage legislation, you had to register with vice. there was a loop hole that if you were a minister you could practice. lots of people went that route so that they could offer reiki, reflexology and massage. that loop hole might exist in other states as well. something to think about.

good luck and let us know how it goes!
amanda

edited for a major grammatical error that made my skin crawl
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Dragonflies
Site Admin

Post by Dragonflies » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:19 pm

makingachange wrote:there was a loop hole that if you were a minister you could practice. lots of people went that route so that they could offer reiki, reflexology and massage. that loop hole might exist in other states as well. something to think about.
I've heard of this loophole too, in fact I know a few practitioners who became a minister so they could continue practicing.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull

Return to “Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts”