Father Josef Reflexology technique for lower pelvis/coccyx

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Father Josef Reflexology technique for lower pelvis/coccyx

Postby pueppi on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:15 am

Just wanted to put this into Reflexology and see what comes of it, as the technique sounds interesting. Dragonflies mentioned in another thread:

Dragonflies wrote:
pueppi wrote:It is possible that during your surgery (a month ago) this new pain (three weeks ago) may be the result of the positioning on the surgical table. Not that you would have been positioned wrong, but that the coccyx is a somewhat moveable entity, and if you were laying "on it" in just the right fashion for a period of time, the tissues surrounding it could have become bruised or inflamed.

I had that problem pueppi - a procedure on the exam table set my coccyx off something fierce. 48 hours afterward I was in class and my instructor did the Father Josef Reflexology technique for the lower pelvis/coccyx - I almost passed out it was so painful. I got up and walked out with the pain cut in half at least. Next morning it was about 25% of what it had been. The pain was gone by the end of the week and one more, soothing, Reflexology session.

Anyone want to persue this subject? ;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Father Josef Reflexology technique for lower pelvis/coccyx

Postby pueppi on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:29 am

I have found that acupuncture will many times cut pain by this much in a session and clear it out as mentioned above. Although my issue was a severe shoulder pain that I am comparing this above comment too. However the acupuncture session was not "painful" nor did it make me feel as though I was going to pass out. So, I am a little worried that the Father Joseph method may not be something I would be interested in for the long-haul of learning, as I have a great acupuncturist. But, I am interested in hearing more.

In addition to my request of others persuing this thread, I was wondering if anyone who is a Reflexologist could compare the Father Josef method to other styles of reflexology. This sounds quite painful. Is it common that all of his methods are painful or it is only for certain issues that the painfulness stands-out/manifests?

Last, in a situation like this, would there also be a healing crisis that follows and what would that "look" like or feel like for the individual. Would it be the same sort of healing crisis as a normal reflexology session, something more (due to the deepness/pain of the work) or something less because the work was so deep that it removed things instantly?

I am a newbie, so I really have no idea what I am asking, except that these are the items that come to mind. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 am

pueppi wrote:...I was wondering if anyone who is a Reflexologist could compare the Father Josef method to other styles of reflexology. This sounds quite painful. Is it common that all of his methods are painful or it is only for certain issues that the painfulness stands-out/manifests?

In my above situation we believe it was a displaced coccyx after a GYN procedure. I could barely sit and the pain in the reflex area absolutely reflected my pain of the tailbone and surrounding areas. Yes, it is possible to use less pressure but the combo of deep + quick brought such fast relief in my case. I've used this particular technique for clients, with less pressure, for complaints of rectal scar tissue, pelvic floor disorders, hemorrhoids, broken/fractured tailbones as well as after vaginal childbirth.

Father Josef's method is what is currently used across Asia. He has in recent years adjusted his techniques to use less force and lighter pressure techniques.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions! Would love to hear others chime in with experience with this style of Reflexology.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:26 am

Dragonflies,

Can you tell me a little more about the Father Josef techniques, and how they differ from other techniques you have used, as well as how the teaching goes. Likewise, I am a bit worried as to why he would have adjusted his technique to be lighter? Did he find it was more effective the lighter he went, or did he change it because he wasn't having as many students as he would like, etc? Do you happen to be knowledgeable of his motivation in the change? Or, can you lead me to somewhere which may have more information on that?
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 am

Sure!

1.) The Father Josef Method uses a lot of knuckle and finger techniques - which I've found particularly helpful to have in my "toolbag" of techniques, thumb walking puts a lot of wear and tear on thumbs and isn't a sustainable technique for me.
2.) I believe he lightened his techniques for a couple of reasons: for the practitioner's hands as well as the client's feet. Over time his technique has evolved to realize that relaxation is an important role in the sessions, something I believe he wasn't as concerned with initially.

I also believe that the anecdotal reports of nerve damage from some extreme pressure techniques that are used in Asian Reflexology sessions may have been influential but I don't know for certain about that. The way it was told to me was that his successors adopted a "no pain, no gain" type of philosophy and have perpetuated that belief in their teachings. You have to realize that these schools may teach hundreds or thousands of students a year so there's a lot of misinformation that got widespread pretty quickly. I've met several instructors from Japan and China that came to North America to learn a "gentler" way of doing Reflexology that they can take back to their schools - I'm afraid it will take quite some time to undo the damage of the "no pain" mindset for Eastern Reflexologists. In the meantime we Western Reflexologists can only try our best to educate the public that a painful foot massage does not equal foot Reflexology.
Last edited by Dragonflies on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts