neuropathy ?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

neuropathy ?

Postby petedose on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Has anyone had a cliet with burning on the bottom of the feet? I know that neuropathy has to do with the nerves but does any one know how to get there client out of so much pain? Is there a trigger point that will help relieve such pain?
petedose
Registered Member

Re: neuropathy ?

Postby squash_blsm on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 am

With any client that comes in with a dx of neuropathy, it helps to know why the diagnosis was given.
For most of my clients, neuropathy in lower limbs was a result of spinal stenosis.
So -
I am very clear to the client that (usually) there is nothing that I can do that will change their underlying condition.
Besides doing cranio-sacral therapy, I might work on the body parts adjacent to the affected nerves - for feet I guess you would be working lower lumbar/sacrum.

There is some possibility that there is additional nerve impingement contributing to the problem - so if this hasn't been ruled out, I don't see any problem with working legs and calfs thoroughly - looking for trigger points along the way.

Okay - now your original question was regarding trigger points - if you could get better information as to WHERE the burning is that would be helpful.
Some muscles that have tp's that refer to bottom of foot include gastrocs, soleus, tibialis posterior, flexor digitorum longus.

I know that you posted this in the reflexology section but I do not know anything about this technique to address your question.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby petedose on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Tks for responding squash
When the client comes in her feet are burning all over. She walks invertenly on the side of her feet. There talking about doing sergery an cutting the nerve. It just seems like docs are so ready to cut. I know sometimes that's necessary. At one time I gave her relief but I don't remember where I focused on and I didn't put it in my notes. I think I may have given a foot bath first not sure. So there are several tp's on the feet?
petedose
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:30 am

Is this a form of severe plantar fasciitis? I've had two clients now that have had surgery for PF due to extreme nerve pain.

If you're looking for advice on massage and TP I can move this to another section but if you're looking for Reflexology tips then let's stay on topic here. Thanks!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby squash_blsm on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 am

petedose wrote:Tks for responding squash
When the client comes in her feet are burning all over. She walks invertenly on the side of her feet. There talking about doing sergery an cutting the nerve. It just seems like docs are so ready to cut. I know sometimes that's necessary. At one time I gave her relief but I don't remember where I focused on and I didn't put it in my notes. I think I may have given a foot bath first not sure. So there are several tp's on the feet?

No - the trigger points that you are looking for are in the calf.
Nerve irritation and/or impingement is not the same as trigger point pain referral.
Freeing up the nerve is possible (if that is the issue) - I don't have this video but have the upper extremity (medial nerve) one and it is very good...
http://www.realbodywork.com/nerveback/nerveB.htm

Sounds like client does not understand or was not given complete diagnosis from the neurologist.
If "cutting" the nerve was given as an option - what nerve and where?
doesn't really make sense to me...
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby petedose on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

I will get back to you with more info. I'm going to send you a private message so we don't get away from this if that's ok?
petedose
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts