Signs of too much Reflexology

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Signs of too much Reflexology

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Hey there! Wondering if it's possible to receive too much reflexology - too many sessions, too soon - for someone who is not used to receiving?

What would the signs be?

Thank you in advance for your insights! :D
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Signs of too much Reflexology

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 am

I tend to be very sensitive so when I've had too much of a good thing I feel yucky physically. For me it is often the eliminatory functions running faster than usual: post nasal drip, runny nose, stuffy head, itchy or sensitive skin, loose bowel movements, frequent urination. I may also get headaches and body aches. Too much, or too soon, acupuncture and Reflexology can both do this to my system. When I get treatments during a cold or flu I feel miserable for 24 hours and then fantastic afterward.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby reflexologymentor on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:49 am

I think we approach this just like any other bodywork and allow the body to have time to process the effects. It also depends on the health of the person - more toxic or unhealthy = more healing effects and quite possible more adverse reactions. Follow the old acronym, SOS. For anyone ill, edlerly or kids, work Softer, Oftener and Shorter. Pressure, Frequency and Duration should be the "dosaging" assessment used based on a health history, age, and current conditions.
The Reflexology Mentor tm
http://www.ReflexologyMentor.com

Business Coach/Mentor for Reflexology-Preneurs
reflexologymentor
Fresh Hands

Postby Sole_Purpose on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:32 am

Thanks to you both. I was assuming the usual suspects.

My inquiry is in regard to my own reaction which was mainly unusual swelling/edema in both my hands and feet. Wondering if the lymphatic system may have been over-stimulated. I was also worked on once per week for 4 weeks by 4 different practitioners.

Over the past 13 years, I have received a ton of bodywork - 10 as a bodyworker, as well as many years prior to formal training - chiropractic since my teens, massage since my 20s, and Polarity, Reiki, acupuncture, craniosacral, reflexology, myofascial, shiatsu/Asian bodywork in my 30s and 40s.

So, my body is used to receiving...however, I was confused and concerned by that reaction. I was definitely in detox mode and feeling much betterer now, lol. By the 4th session, I knew that I had met my limit.

Dragonflies wrote:I tend to be very sensitive...

Same here.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby pueppi on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 am

Piggy-backing on Sole_Purposes question/comment (since I don't know this section of the BWOL very well --- if there is a better thread to put this in, please let me know):

I am wondering if any of you who are both reflexologists and massage therapists have noticed differences in reactions, post-session.

I have recently begun to study reflexology in a course, and although I have read through the majority of posts here on the forums, I am going to need to do so again, to start to see things in a different light.

It is my experience that my body seems to be functioning/reacting somewhat differently to reflexology sessions, than it ever has to massage. I have decided to see a "real" reflexologist (not a student in school) for 4 - 8 visits. My plan is to do 8 at once a week, unless someone suggests different.

I have noticed after the first session (full reflexology on Wed.) and after being in the school sessions (urinary tract and endocrine system on Sat./Sun. respectively) that I am having some eczema issues re-appearing, which had been fairly clear for a while now. This is quite frustrating, as I am not sure if it is a healing crisis from the initial reflexology session, something from the in-class school work that may have been "too much" or not quite proper (as we *are* students after all), or if it was a combination of the regular and school sessions being too close together. Or, maybe it is just the stress of me doing something "new" and feeling off-balance.

The work we are learning is very light work. And, since I am seeing my practitioner this week (and she has learned from this same school I am at, along with the Flocco Method), I expect she'll be able to give me a good explanation.

But, I would like to open this up to all of the practitioners who are part of this forum... please elaborate as to what you have seen in your practice and about anything I am just plain missing since I am new, if you don't mind.

PS: If any of this doesn't make a lot of sense, I would be happy to try again. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am

pueppi wrote:I have noticed after the first session (full reflexology on Wed.) and after being in the school sessions (urinary tract and endocrine system on Sat./Sun. respectively) that I am having some eczema issues re-appearing, which had been fairly clear for a while now. This is quite frustrating, as I am not sure if it is a healing crisis from the initial reflexology session, something from the in-class school work that may have been "too much" or not quite proper (as we *are* students after all), or if it was a combination of the regular and school sessions being too close together. Or, maybe it is just the stress of me doing something "new" and feeling off-balance.

Hi pueppi :smt006

Umm, are you familiar with the healing crisis of 'going back through' an old injury/illness/condition? Kevin Kunz explained this phenomena nicely on his blog a few years back. I see this A LOT in my practice and tell my clients to expect it as a normal response to Reflexology treatments. It can be a little disconcerting at first, especially when the issue has been resolved for some time.

Out of curiosity how much time are you on the recipient end of practicals at school each week?
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 am

Dragonflies wrote:Umm, are you familiar with the healing crisis of 'going back through' an old injury/illness/condition? Kevin Kunz explained this phenomena nicely on his blog a few years back. I see this A LOT in my practice and tell my clients to expect it as a normal response to Reflexology treatments. It can be a little disconcerting at first, especially when the issue has been resolved for some time.

Out of curiosity how much time are you on the recipient end of practicals at school each week?

I am familiar with the healing crisis, but I thought it would show up day after. And be gone within another. I'll sure read your link to familiarize myself though. :)

Practicals are only once a month - two days. This first session was about 1 hour each day for the recipient. Otherwise we are doing case-studies until we return for the following session.

Thanks for the quick response. I am sure I will have many more questions as we go on! Right now, I am un-comfortable taking most questions to any of my instructors so. It has been unfortunate, but when I ask a question in class, I get the distict feeling the people around me feel I am being problematic and it seems to be a lot of rig-a-ma-roll for me to collect a concise and clear answer. This forces me to ask again, which appears to be considered confrontational, which is not healthy for my learning process. So, I am opting out until I can get a handle on the personalities.

edited - for better explanation.
Last edited by pueppi on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 am

pueppi wrote:I am familiar with the healing crisis, but I thought it would show up day after. And be gone within another.

In my experience it takes eczema more than 48 hours to go through a cycle - doesn't it take nearly a month for a complete turnover in the dermis of healthy skin? For skin issues I usually look at it from a three month cycle with my treatment plans, this goes for both active issues and a history of skin problems.

pueppi wrote:I'll sure read your link to familiarize myself with his writings though. :)

Kevin and Barbara have written over a dozen books on Reflexology so you're probably already familiar with their work! :D

pueppi wrote:Practicals are only once a month - two days. This first session was about 1 hour each day for the recipient.

When I was in school we had weekly classes, I received about an hour in the classroom and at least a second hour each week of Reflexology for practicals (I would trade with classmates outside of class).
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the response. I am not familiar with Kevin Kunz, but I am starting to branch out and look around.

May I ask if you think it is good to trade with people in our class, even though we don't know much? Is it like massage where you can? And, do we risk ill effects on someone who isn't ultra-healthy?

Thanks again for the responses! :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 pm

pueppi wrote:May I ask if you think it is good to trade with people in our class, even though we don't know much? Is it like massage where you can? And, do we risk ill effects on someone who isn't ultra-healthy?

Thanks again for the responses! :)

I didn't go through a massage program so I don't have a comparison for you but remember that Reflexology can't force the body to do something it is not capable of doing. I teach my clients to do self-care Reflexology at home, I think exchanges with your classmates can help all involved better understand this hands-on modality. Just my 2 cents.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby linda on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 pm

In reply, as a reflexoxlogy educator, the experience in class exchanging with fellow students is intended to be part of a rich learning environment. Hopefully your instructor feeds the dynamic of this interaction between you all. If not, then create your own healing space with intention and compassion. Remember you are all learning and most importantly you are experiencing the healing power of touch. Stay grounded in your own body, trust, allow and give permission to receive on an energetic level, as you feel safe..meaning set your boundaries, if you feel vulnerable, speak up, change partners with finesse if you don't feel matched, talk to the instructor privately....above all set intention to raise your body awareness about what is going on with you, nurture yourself, drink plenty of water, do that breathing! and have a good time learning.
The body tissue and nervous system will 'give up' those things you want to release if you feel safe in doing so, and this is the best way for you to learn the magic of the body/mind. YOUR body will be your best teacher, revealing to you how healing takes place....stand in awe of this and make your journey in this training something deeper....it WILL benefit you, if you approach it from there. ONE student can be a model for others and can set the energy to shift the whole class (even if the teacher is preoccupied with left brain stuff and does not have a 'bedside manner' so to speak). Best to you....
The Reflexology Mentor, http://www.ReflexologyMentor.com
Linda, The Reflexology Mentor
Business Success Coach/Educator

Helping Holistic Entrepreneurs Thrive in Business
1-1 Coaching by phone, Teleclasses/Webinars
Get CE Credits online/NCBTMB/ARCB Approved
http://www.ReflexologyMentor.com
linda
Fresh Hands

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts