contraindication?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

contraindication?

Postby blissfulbalance on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 am

I have a referral to a client who has encephalitis caused by a cold sore and a weakened immune system. She looks and is very weak and ended up with colitis and a colon resection recently. This wll be repaired in the future. I worry about her body being too taxed and toxic to do a reflex session on. I went over to meet her today and she said maybe we shouldn't start today as she is running a temp and thinks she has a UTI. I definitely agreed and we did reschedule, but I don't feel comfortable working on her. What is your opinion and experience with such sick clients? She would be part of my case documentations for the ARCB, so I would have to be able to work with her three different times.

Thanks for any input,

Denise
Denise
blissfulbalance
Registered Member

Re: contraindication?

Postby Jonathan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:22 am

Maybe, you could ask her Dr.(s)? If OK, then go for whatever she could handle or want? I have a couple of clients on chemo. When they feel good enough to get out they really appreciate relaxing touch. I know it's a little different but, with a heavy illness comes some heavy thinking and it's nice to get away from it for awhile. Reflexology is not my forte, but I'm thinking there is enough leeway in the discipline to send some support to the afflicted areas along with your regular work. (If I'm off base in my thinking please ignore and forgive that part.)
live & let live
Jonathan
Registered Member

Postby blissfulbalance on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for your opinion Jonathan. I did check with the author and expert Kevin Kunz and he agreed that I should decline working with her for now. The positive stressor of reflexology may be a negative stressor for her and would overload her system. I sure wouldn't want to make her any worse, she has enough to deal with right now.
Denise
blissfulbalance
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 am

I think if I were in your position here I would demonstrate a couple of self-help points and not give an actual treatment until she's stronger. I think the healing crisis of a full treatment would send her over the top. :undecided:
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts