Single therapist with 2 clients at once?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Single therapist with 2 clients at once?

Postby PremoMT on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Can it be done? I recently ran a groupon for a few service choices of which one was a reflexology session. Par for the course of groupon, I've had a few clients wanting side by side sessions. I have enough space for two massage tables in my treatment room, so that wouldn't be an issue.
But I'm wondering if any of you have worked with multiple clients in one session? if so, how did you break up the time per client?

Here are my thoughts:
I have a paraffin bath, and I was thinking that I would set both clients up on their respective table/ chair. from there I would apply the paraffin to one client's hands and feet (as I usually work both for my treatments) and wrap with booties/mittens, and leave the client to sit with the heat on.
from there I would work with the other client for the time specified, and then switch.
Apply paraffin to client whom I just finished the reflexolgy, remove other clients paraffin and proceed with reflexology.

Either this, or I could just work one then the other offering the resting client a beverage and a snack in the treatment room or if they prefer out in the waiting area.

Thoughts? Coments?

Thanks!
My Website www.premospa.com
PremoMT
Registered Member

Re: Single therapist with 2 clients at once?

Postby PremoMT on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:05 pm

well it must be an topic that some of you are interested in with 5 reads already... Anyone care to coment with their thoughts?
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby athletica on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Perhaps ask the clients if they have a preference. If they are aware you are a one person business it least there will be no surprises.
athletica
Registered Member

Double your pleasure

Postby holley on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:49 pm

During a couple massage, one asked if they could sing for each other in turn.
Sweet music.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Well PremoMT, I think that it could be done if the couple was open to such a thing. After all this type of thing is done in Pedicures & Manicures all the time.
I think that you will have to plan it all out, maybe even on paper, creating a synchronization for the services. Something like, client 1, apply parafin dip to hands with mittens allow to rest for 10 minutes. That gives you 10 minutes to massage the head/neck & shoulders of client 2. Then switch...
I personally would be prepared for the clients to talk to you and to each other. I think the atmosphere may be more interactive than what we are used to because of the more "couples" or "group" experience. It may not be the couples experience You would want, but it may be just the "together time" that they need.
Please let us know how it goes if you attempt it!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 am

PremoMT,

1.) Are you providing a real reflexology session to the clients or just a glorified foot massage? Because they are different, it's hard to know if my response will be correct for your situation.

2.) How much time have you provided for the session?
3.) Do you plan to go through all of the systems or work just one system in a short amount of time?

From your description of the session you have planned, it is difficult to see the "reflexology" in the session. I am picturing a lot of booties and parrafin though.

Since reflexology is such a dedicated work, although I don't have a problem with another client being in the same room, I don't believe it is the most beneficial. You want to put your energetic focus onto the client at hand (from what I have been taught). A second in the room during reflexology work is not the same as a second person in the room during deep tissue work. There is a different energetic feeling occuring.

If you are wanting to "sell" the idea of your reflexology services, then I think it may be better to treat the reflexology session like you normally would. A good intake, the full session with reflexology and not fluffing it up with other stuff. As a newbie, it seems to me that the "extra's" (if needed or decided on) should be applied in a longer reflexology session, or, if you normally provide a 60 min. reflexology session, then you would only use 5-10 mins. of the session for anything that would take time away from the actual reflexology work. Otherwise, the reflexology-part becomes less and the spa part becomes more.

By the way, I have not learned hand reflexology yet, that will begin next month... May I ask roughly how much time of an hour session *you* nomally spend on the hands? I know each client session will be different, but do you have an average that you would be willing to let me in on? :)

As far as coming up with something that may work... I will base my thoughts on a hour session, with the caveat that I am a newbie/student in reflexology, so this is coming from mainly my knowledge of working with people as a bodyworker. Bouncing off of what others have already said... consider preparing something that shows the layout of the session. Perhaps a 1 hour session block, since this IS a groupon.

" Welcome to PremoMT's Couples Reflexology Session

Although I know many times couples like to talk during a session, reflexology is meant to be relaxing. Therefore, you will have a better expereince if you speak infrequently. Sit back, relax and enjoy the healing benefits that await you.

Please decide which of you would like to begin the session with heated mittens and booties, and which would like to end their session in this manner.

Whichever of you does not want the heated mittens and booties at the beginning of the session will be the first to experience the reflexology work.

If you aren't familiar with reflexology, the following will prepare you for what to expect.

• Reflexology is usually applied to the ears, hands and feet.
    • The goal is to stimulate areas (such as glands, organs and sytems of the body) through the associated "reflexes" which subsequently allow the body to bring balance to itself.
    • Precise finger and thumb movements are used and you may expereice total body relaxation during the session.
    • Although one session can create change, it is normal to return for regular sessions for a chronic complaint and for intermittent sessions if you use reflexology on an "as needed" basis.

Today's hands-on portion of the session will last for approximately 30 minutes. We will begin with some gentle relaxation work and proceed into the reflexology work with only the endocrine, digestive and nervous systems being our primary focus
    (or whatever systems *you* - PremoMT, feel most comfortable with for the session).

If in the future you would like to have all of the systems addressed, the next step would be a full session consisting of one hour per client.

At the end ofthe session, you will be provided with a glass of water and a few moments to collect yourself before I prepare for the next appointment.

We hope you enjoy this unique experience!

To be honest, I appreciate being able to add to this thread, and I hope I am helpful. It is good for me to really contemplate what I think I might do in situations such as these, as I am learning this wonderful work.

I am not sure if my suggestions for the system work are the best (working off my current knowlege and being trained on the systems initially), so, if someone can think of three other systems to work, or in a diffrent sequence as a mini-session, I would be excited to hear those thoughts! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 am

The only time I am actively working on two clients at the same time is in my postpartum treatments with mother and baby. Though I guess maternity treatments could be counted as two in some circles. ;)

When I am treating my pediatric clients I have an adult parent or guardian in the room with them - I like to offer them a cup of tea or glass of water to sip on while I am working on the client. I also do back-to-back appointments with family members, the waiting client can use the foot path in the other room, wait in the waiting area, or hang out in the treatment room seated near the client being worked on.

What is the purpose of the paraffin in the Reflexology appointment? I have a paraffin tub but I haven't used it in so many years!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby riversinger on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm

I've never worked with 2 clients at once, as I'm also a single therapist, with a small massage studio as well. As others have said, so long as your clients have an understanding of the services you are providing & how you are planning to handle it then it sounds as though you can make it work.

Let us know how it goes!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby PremoMT on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:32 pm

Well, I thought I had posted this a day ago- but it must not have gone through..

They innitally ended up deciding to get seperate appts. Then today changed from Reflexology to a completley different service all together.
So that worked itself out really.
But to answer your question Pueppi~ It probablly would have ended up being a glorified foot massage if I had done it that way. :oops: But if together time is what they needed I could have accomidated that. It would have been 90 minutes+ intake time divided equally.
TBH, (and please try not to judge me too harshly!) as I have no continuing education dedicated to reflexology (only what was taught in my original schooling and limited self study)- My current "reflexology" may be viewed by you as just glorified hand and foot work. However, I must say that my full intention is with the client and systems/ areas of concern and moving energy to areas of need.
In my current form of offered reflexology, I divide the time equally between the hands and feet, concentrating on their specified areas of concern. If none are specified- I put emphasis on tonifying and strengtheing systems that cause most clients in my area concern.
I hope this doesn't make me sound like a flakey therapist.
I truely apreciate all of your imput!

Dragonflies- I would have used the Paraffin treatment as a time filler between the two clients. Otherwise, IMO it's just a really wonderful addon to any treatment.

Thanks for the supportive imput friends!
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:29 am

PremoMT wrote:TBH, (and please try not to judge me too harshly!) as I have no continuing education dedicated to reflexology (only what was taught in my original schooling and limited self study)- My current "reflexology" may be viewed by you as just glorified hand and foot work. However, I must say that my full intention is with the client and systems/ areas of concern and moving energy to areas of need.

In my current form of offered reflexology, I divide the time equally between the hands and feet, concentrating on their specified areas of concern. If none are specified- I put emphasis on tonifying and strengtheing systems that cause most clients in my area concern.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a flakey therapist.

Well, it seems to me, if you are working the systems on the hands and feet, then you are genuinely doing your best with the reflexology knowledge you have. There is nothing wrong with that. So, maybe it's time to step up your game and consider your reflexology work in a different light and not offer the work as something similar to foot massage, but make it look like a reflexology session, with more emphasis on the reflexology and less on the pooh-pah (pooh-pah = parrafin and such :P ).

Or, don't call the session a reflexology session at all, but call it "PremoMT's Fantastic Four" (or some such)... 2 hands/2feet/pampered and energized while additionally stimulating the reflex points.

This may bring a change in your service menu, but may be wayyyy worth it! :)

PS: Forgive me for the "glorifed" comment, but as I am learning Reflexology, I am realizing how much it is *not* massage (something that I never really absolutely grasped, although I never have claimed to do reflexology work since I didn't understand it at all). And, how many massage therapists call foot work "reflexology" when it is not. I was only clarifying... not trying to put you down in any way, shape or form.

03/15/12 - edited for a typo.
Last edited by pueppi on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby PremoMT on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 am

No offense taken at all my friend ;)
I don't do the paraffin in my reflexology sessions, only as an add on if they would so chose and at that point the duration of the session would increase.
I plan on expanding my knowledge base with it, there is very few therapists in my area :)
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby bschrag on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:21 pm

I have a thought. I'm still in R school. As part of it I interviewed another Reflexologist that has been in practice for many years. She related to me a session she had where the wife sat in (and talked incessently(sp?)). The mixed energy didn't allow her to ground properly and she ended up having to leave the room for a few minutes to go throw up (the client had been needing to throw up for several sessions and wouldn't. Therefore, the therapist ended up with that negative energy or whatever you want to call it.

I don't have but one person in the room. I'm starting out that way and sticking to it. However, it is up to each therapist to set their boundaries.
bschrag
Fresh Hands

Postby PremoMT on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

i ended up doing a mother daughter sesh this way, and I would have to agree that the energy just isn't the same.

These two needed the bonding time, but at 14 the daughter didn't know how to act during her mothers time, and talked and was (to me) bothersome.

I will do this type of work again, but just stress to the clients that it will be more about togetherness than self healing. Much like getting a peicure, talking will be allowed, and snacks will be had. ;-)

thanks for all of your imput everybody!
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Have you done this as an experiment on two willing volunteers? :-)
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts