Effects of concrete & shoes on society?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Effects of concrete & shoes on society?

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Recently someone was telling me that by wearing shoes and walking on pavement we avoid stimulating many reflexology points on the feet that would normally be stimulated by barefoot travel over uneven terrain. She said that specifically the adrenal points don't receive proper stimulation and that this is part of why our culture is so crazy with stress and overwork.

Wanted to check this out with qualified reflexologists I trust... does the above make sense in any of your frameworks? Has this woman actually pointed out a fascinating way in which systemic factors like the existence of sidewalks can shape culture and individual experience through our bodies?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Effects of concrete & shoes on society?

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Possibly, but I will take stress over ringworm!
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:45 am

Have you read the book on Earthing Josh? http://www.earthing.com/

I think it might be more of a complete disconnect with earth that "ungrounds" us in a generalized sort of way. Throw in a lot of complicated foot wear that isn't designed with our health in mind and we are pretty disconnected from a foot perspective. The location of the adrenal reflexes on the feet make it difficult to stimulate on flat surfaces unless someone has a fallen arch then that region becomes overstimulated.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am

Dragonflies,

I have a question about overstimulation of a reflex. Obviously overstimulation can be just as bad as understimulation, but how do you guage how much stimulation a reflex point needs?

If you'd prefer to answer by PM, that would be just fine too. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Good question Pueppi! Often the reflex can behave the same way for both a lack of stimulation and too much of it. Sort of like children. :lol: In a session the general rule of thumb is 2-5 minutes on any one reflex point in the first treatment. This way you can give the body a chance to take in the information, process it and, hopefully, not go into crisis mode.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I am enjoying learning this modality, and certainly appreciate insight and tips from those who have gone before me! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Dragonflies wrote:Have you read the book on Earthing Josh? http://www.earthing.com/

I think it might be more of a complete disconnect with earth that "ungrounds" us in a generalized sort of way. Throw in a lot of complicated foot wear that isn't designed with our health in mind and we are pretty disconnected from a foot perspective. The location of the adrenal reflexes on the feet make it difficult to stimulate on flat surfaces unless someone has a fallen arch then that region becomes overstimulated.

Hmm have not read. Certainly disconnect from nature impacts us in big ways... so it sounds like from what you said that it could be the case that walking with shoes, etc does result in understimulating those points. Would you agree? Could that have some effect, even if general ungrounding is also present and having a greater impact? If so, what might the effects be, from a reflexology perspective?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Why bare feet can be a problem

Postby holley on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 pm

http://shoes4schools.wordpress.com/2008 ... to-africa/

The above article keeps my tootsies ( 26 bones, 33 joints, 112 ligaments per) in footwear.
In Hawaii, most injuries I come across are to bare feet enthusiasts (which i once was). Infections abound.
Played golf barefoot until realization dawned that the skin was absorbing chemicals and fertilizer,
and such can be fatal.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts