How much talking during a session?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

How much talking during a session?

Postby Taya on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi, I am beginner and still in school, but I am very interested in Reflexology and think that i would like to eventually make it my profession. I was wondering how much taking do you usually do with the client during a session. I am new and so talking throws off my concentration and the quality of work suffers, but it also seems that just sitting there working on someone quietly with out saying much may be a little awkward for the client. How do you handle that issue? Thanks!
Taya
Fresh Hands

Re: How much talking during a session?

Postby pueppi on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:53 am

I am a Certified Reflexologist (1 week - *whoop*) and a Massage Therapist (15+ years).

Most of my massage therapy clients talk on the table and I talk back.

However, I find that the work I have don as a reflexologist has kept both me and the clients silent for most of the time.

But, when I see a Reflexologist, I jabber like there is no tomorrow.

So, as a newbie, I assume my reflexology work will grow into a more verbal event as the years go by (since that seems to be the majority of my practice), unless I gain a new group of clients who aren't talkers. I also assume that every practice is different, depending on how you decide to allow your practice to run (not let it run you). And, if you want a silent practice, you just learn communication skills to get the client back into that frame of mind.

A friend of mine gets her clients back to focus by saying: "OK, you can talk about that later. Right now the focus is on you and your body."

If you learn phrases like this, you'll be able to guide the session in the direction you wish.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Sole_Purpose on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 am

I think you have to figure out works best for you and your clients. I tend toward being quiet as a giver and a receiver. I could never hold a conversation while giving a massage, but am much better at it as a reflexologist. With my extra chatty clients, I usually offer an herbal eye pillow...most of the time that takes care of it. The eye pillow helps them to be more present to their body and what it is feeling during a session.

I have several cases for the eye pillows which get tossed into the wash.

pueppi wrote:But, when I see a Reflexologist, I jabber like there is no tomorrow.

Haha! :smt005

Congrats on certification! :smt041
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby MarionFM on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:02 pm

I agree on the Congrats!

When doing reflexology (and any body work really), I tend to respond to clients rather than start topics of conversation.

You might feel awkward not talking, but I bet they won't. I have often found that new people ask constantly, through the first foot, what is that point and what are you working on now. During the second foot, they just sit there either zoned out or asleep!
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:31 pm

pueppi wrote:I am a Certified Reflexologist (1 week - *whoop*) and a Massage Therapist (15+ years).

First off congrats :woohoo: I know you worked hard !

I tend to let the client lead. If they want to talk we can talk, for some people talking is very therapeutic. And I myself tend to talk a person ear off when I am getting worked on.
JLWmassage

Postby Rozax on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 pm

As others have suggested, the amount of talking is mostly up to the client. If the client talks too much, then we try to lead them toward relaxing through the session. It also depends on the type of treatment you're providing. For example, there will typically be more conversation during a therapeutic massage vs a relaxation massage. As unpopular a hearing this may become, you just need to listen to the client and trust your intuition.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby Taya on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Oh wow, thank you guys so much for all your answers! Everything you said makes sense, and just like you I tend to try to adjust to a client, so its nice to hear that i am doing things right. Unfortunately as a newbie i still feel too bashful to redirect the especially talkative clients to relaxation, because i am afraid to offend them and lose the client. The eye pillow suggestion was ingenious, thanks a lot! But would it work with a client wearing makeup, mascara, eyeliner and so on? I also wonder if dimming the lights just a tad bit more was a good idea. Those of you who practice Reflexology only, do you guys play music during your sessions? Thanks again for all your wonderful inputs!
Taya
Fresh Hands

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Taya wrote:The eye pillow suggestion was ingenious, thanks a lot! But would it work with a client wearing makeup, mascara, eyeliner and so on? I also wonder if dimming the lights just a tad bit more was a good idea.

Glad you liked it! Just so you know, I encourage feedback from the client during the first few sessions as we get to know one another...and as I get to know their feet and body, etc. I don't usually offer an eye pillow until the chattiness seems habitual. And, they have to actually remove the eye pillow to talk to me! Sometimes I even offer the eye pillow to those clients who aren't chatty, haha! I also offer a blanket/throw...I have a light and a heavy one...most opt for the heavy one.

I haven't seen any issues with eye make-up, etc. Typically, clients come in expecting an atmosphere of comfort and set their schedule accordingly (after work or on their day off). I have had clients decline the eye pillow due to not wanting any eye pressure. The pillow doesn't apply much pressure to the eyes, but for some people it can be a discomfort and then that takes away from their session rather than adding to it.

I have three floor lamps (none directed toward the client's face though) and 2 Himalayan salt lamps lit during sessions.

Taya wrote:Those of you who practice Reflexology only, do you guys play music during your sessions?

Yes, and sometimes a sound machine at the same time.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby pueppi on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:19 pm

I too use music with all of my reflexology sessions! :smt007

I love music!

The only time I don't use music in my practice, is if a client has a migraine and we have established that it would not be a good idea.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts