Castor Oil & Reflexes

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Castor Oil & Reflexes

Postby Sole_Purpose on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

:smt006 Hi there - it's been a long while since I've posted. Curious to know if anyone has experience using castor oil on specific reflex points. I am asking for myself, not a client. It has been suggested to me, by at least 4 different health practitioners, to use castor oil packs for uterine fibroids (to decrease their size) which I have recently just started. Not to use during cycle. As a reflexologist though, I am wondering how effective it would be to apply castor oil directly to reproductive reflexes...rather than using a pack w/heat on actual lower abdomen. My inclination is to try it.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Castor Oil & Reflexes

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:56 pm

As of right now, I see 145 look-sees...but unfortunately for me no replies. However, since I posted this topic about a week and a half ago, I've decided that I'm totally not diggin' the consistency of castor oil (it's very thick and sticky...too much for me during the heat of summer especially) and won't continue the packs or use on reflex points. Cheers! :altsmile:
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Have you looked into clary sage? It's good for uterus support
JLWmassage

Postby Sole_Purpose on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi - thank you! No, I haven't looked into any essential oils for uterine support.

My main goal is to avoid surgery. Castor oil is known for use with soft tissue injuries, decongesting tissues and supposedly helping toward shrinking fibroids. Fibroid growth is sort of estrogen dependent, so I'm trying to get to and through menopause - at that time, the fibroids should shrink on their own. For the past 13 years, my cycles have been extremely difficult. This year I was diagnosed with thickened uterine lining, as well as fibroids. Thankfully, no signs of cancer.

The fibroids are not particularly large, but at least one of them is situated between the muscle and endometrium...possibly interrupting the uterine function during time of cycle.

Interestingly, my ankles and wrists (which contain the pelvic & reproductive reflexes) are physically weak. I'm sure there is some strengthening work I can do there.

I have been giving and receiving professional reflexology for 3 years and this is the only area of my body that seems resistant to balancing. I have not tried weekly sessions though. In school, while learning, that much reflexology left me feeling not so great. But, I could try working on myself a few days per week.

The consistency of castor oil is like syrup. Since I haven't been committed to applying packs to my lower abdomen - like I really should - I got the idea of applying to reflex points.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby jdcan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 am

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Sole_Purpose on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:52 am

I decided to go with the book written before that one on pre-menopause first (will read the menopause one after). Downloaded it to my tablet for 6 dollars and change, fabulous. Thank you for the suggestion.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby jdcan on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 am

You're welcome.
PM me if you have any personal questions.
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Sole_Purpose on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Will do - thanks. :altsmile:
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Castor oil packs are super tough in hot, muggy weather! You layer the pack: castor oil, plastic food wrap, towel, heat source. The heat source alone would be yucky on a hot day and castor oil takes its sweet time soaking in so you need to hang out with it for at least a half hour. Considering where the pelvic reflex areas are on the feet and hands I think it would be quite challenging to do an oil pack on them.

Reflexology treatments for fibroids do need to be spaced pretty close together for some folks (think: up to twice weekly half hour treatments).

Might be worth exploring Maya Abdominal work for both a professional session and some self care at home. Good luck!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Sole_Purpose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks! Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of applying castor oil to reflexes, no pack or heat source. You've mentioned the Maya abdominal massage to me before (you're not the only one either...which should be a hint). This forum would be a good place to ask more about it! :altsmile:
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby Sole_Purpose on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:09 am

Sole_Purpose wrote:You've mentioned the Maya abdominal massage to me before (you're not the only one either...which should be a hint). This forum would be a good place to ask more about it! :altsmile:

Apparently, I don't need to ask about it - just did a forum search and there's already plenty of info floating around here on it! Awesome.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts