Diabetes Foot Neuropathy/Neuralgia

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Dragonflies
Site Admin

Diabetes Foot Neuropathy/Neuralgia

Post by Dragonflies » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:00 am

I've come across this on several clients and wanted to get some feedback from the other reflexologists here.

I always work the feet as a whole, never for a specific condition or issue, but definately do some focus work within the session. My clients have described their feet as having partial "numbness" (i.e. toes, heel, ball of the foot), to "itching" or "burning" or "tingling in the morning." I tend to work with a light to moderate pressure with these clients with an emphasis on range of motion and circulation-enhancing techniques (what we called "heal and flush" in school).

Aside from the usual focus reflexes one would work for a diabetic client what would you incorporate for the foot itself? I tend to send the client home with some "homework" whether these are simple foot workouts, a suggestion of using a foot roller or tennis ball, or reflexes to be worked on the hands between sessions.

Looking forward to other ideas and suggestions. :)
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull

renauddv
Registered Member

Post by renauddv » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:19 am

You are on the right track. Any technique that increases circulation is a help. A large proportion of my family members are diabetic, and about 80% of my over 50 clients have it to some degree. Reflexology is the modality with the biggest wins for foot and leg problems. 2nd place goes to Acupressure, and a close 3rd is Lymph Drainage.
I am very carefull with pressure as healing in the diabetic leg and foot can be slow. Kidneys and Bladder are often tender areas, and sometimes Liver and Thyroid. For overall diabetic improvement I do a fair bit of acupressure, and focus bodywork on mobility, which helps them to exercise more. Exercise is the big life changer for them.

Darren

UCR
Fresh Hands

Post by UCR » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:57 am

Hi Amy,
Diabetes type II and peripheral neuropathy is a great topic! One most Reflexologists will encounter many times in their career.

Several years ago I posted a story on this very subject dating back to when I was a new Reflexologist. Here is the story http://www.universalreflex.com/article. ... 2145348879

Have a great day!
Jack

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Diabetes Foot Neuropathy/Neuralgia

Post by pueppi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Dragonflies wrote:I've come across this on several clients and wanted to get some feedback from the other reflexologists here.

I always work the feet as a whole, never for a specific condition or issue, but definately do some focus work within the session.
Dragonflies, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you still work the feet as a whole, or if you have now incorporated sessions for specific conditions/issues as you've grown in your practice.

If this should be come a new thread, feel free to move my question. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Dragonflies
Site Admin

Post by Dragonflies » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 am

pueppi wrote:
Dragonflies wrote:I've come across this on several clients and wanted to get some feedback from the other reflexologists here.

I always work the feet as a whole, never for a specific condition or issue, but definately do some focus work within the session.
Dragonflies, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you still work the feet as a whole, or if you have now incorporated sessions for specific conditions/issues as you've grown in your practice.

If this should be come a new thread, feel free to move my question. :)
That probably is a topic for another thread pueppi, and you're welcome to start it if you'd like. Very infrequently do I ever work on just one or two reflexes, because we may or may not know where the root of the problem is coming from. Great to resurrect some of these older threads because as the years have flown by my clinical experience has too.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 am

Being a newly trained reflexologist, I can now add in a comment. Neat. :)

I have a family member who is diabetic. I have been working with him at a rate of once every few weeks as I have been learning and now, I plan to do a full wholistic session on him at a rate of once per week.

If anyone has any suggestions as to if twice a week would make a better impact, I'd love to hear your advice.

Here is what I found:

When learning, we were taught the urinary system first and this really seemed to jumpstart the healing process of the diabetic feet. However, it was quite obvious that it would not be enough. But, the change from adding in each few systems each month has lessened the pain in the feet by about 20%, and the overall "look" of the feet is about 30% better. So, obviously, even without full wholistic sessions we're getting some benefit.

Today, I noticed that the area of the liver was calloused. At first I thought it was the right shoulder, but my family member does not have shoulder issues. Then I got to thinking it may be liver, so I worked the area. It is nice to find (from reading this thread) that can be an associated issue in the diabetic foot. The feet really do talk. :)

I performed a full wholistic session with some extra care on the colon. I seem to find a lot of colon issues with my family member. I wonder, now that you mention we're not sure where the root is coming from, if some of it could be from the colon. I am hoping to see big improvements by the end of the year and look forward to updating this thread then.

Please feel free to elaborate on anything you can! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts”