What is the foundational basis for Reflexology?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Bodywork_Guy
Registered Member

What is the foundational basis for Reflexology?

Post by Bodywork_Guy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:53 am

Once again a simple question that probably won't have simple answers:

What is the foundational basis (scientific or otherwise) for Reflexology?

I know I can Google this all day long but it won't be the same as hearing from people who know, believe in and practice it.

Thanks,

James
James Baugh, LMT

palpable
Registered Member

Post by palpable » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:59 pm

Have you skimmed through the reflexology section? There are some good links there, and maybe some other info depending on what exactly you are looking for.
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute

Dragonflies
Site Admin

Post by Dragonflies » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:54 pm

Reflexology has multiple theories as to how/why it works and none of them are 100% scientifically proven. They include some of the following:
-Interference with neuro-transmitters
-Some Acupuncture meridians are influenced
-Electrically charged energy flows
-Zone therapy
-TLC (tender loving care)
-Rest/relaxation

In Reflexology the body is mapped out on the feet, hands and ears. These maps are stimulated by finger and thumb pressure with certain techniques specific to the profession. The results are stress reduction and a physiological change in the body.

Reflexology in the United States is a 200 hour education program, however in Europe a minimum of 350 hours is required and in South Africa 2,500 hours is required before practicing.

Hope this gives you a peek into the world of Reflexology. As we often say "reflexology is so much more than a foot massage!" :D If you have any specific questions about the theory or history of reflexology, or any other aspects of this modality feel free to ask!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull

MASGN U
Fresh Hands

Post by MASGN U » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Here's a little more-

Reflexology reduces tension and stress. It improves the quality of circulation and nerve supply to the body.....and it promotes balance and normalization to the body naturally.

There are over 7,200 nerve endings in your feet and they correspond to all of your body parts.....reflexology stimulates all of those nerves and is supposed to get those body parts working together and better.....

And yes, this is not scientifically proven. It may be an area that reflexology mapping suggests is a body part, but it could also be a tender part of their foot.

I've been a licensed reflexologist for 4 years, and I've seen some pretty interesting stuff using it. This could all be coincidence, but during school, I had kidney stones and my kidney reflex area burned when touched. I've had a client with a painful bump in her head/sinus reflex area, I worked it, her salivary gland swelled way up and went down-the bump hasn't reappeared. Constipated clients have seen benefits from reflex.....um, recently it helped someone with acid reflux. I've seen people suffering from sinus problems benefit from it.

I'm also a massage therapist, and I think that reflex and massage therapy compliment each other nicely.

Return to “Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts”