Wanting to offer a workshop - ideas?

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Wanting to offer a workshop - ideas?

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:16 am

I would like to offer a reflexology workshop for parents of younger children (infants on up), but I don't know exactly how to go about this. When I've mentioned it to a couple of my really close clients with children they were thrilled. I even have another reflexologist lined up to help me with the workshop.<br><br>Can anyone give me practical advise about doing an "introduction to..." type of workshop for the general public? I am hoping it will draw more parents and children into my practice. I would assume it would be a good idea to get in contact with many "parent-children friendly" groups (Early Intervention, midwife groups, etc...), and make up a ton of fliers and a mailing list. I am also thinking of reserving a conference room at a nearby hotel or center.<br><br>Any advice will be helpful, thanks in advance!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Re: Wanting to offer a workshop - ideas?

Postby Jen on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:46 am

What a great/sound idea! :)<br>I wouldn't make the workshop too long--maybe 3-4 hours in total length since it is an introduction to reflexology. Like any presentation, you need an opening, a middle, and a conclusion. So your first statement or paragraph would be a summary of what reflexology is (in a nutshell) and then I'd go over the following topics:<br>History of...<br>Benefits of...<br>Who could use/needs this therapy<br><br>I'd also then give a demonstration, explaining how the feet/hands are like maps to our bodies, and as you go from (toe to heel), you can explain what part of the body is being affected/handled/worked on. <br><br>You could then wrap it up/conclude with handing out some informational flyers/business cards/FAQ's/etc. Then allow some time for folks who have questions or wants to know about things you didn't necessarily cover during your seminar.<br><br>It couldn't hurt to have (healthy) snacks on hand as a complimentary addition for your attendees. <br><br>One last thing you may want to consider. Hand out a short little evaluation sheet at the end, asking people to complete it (if they have time) to let you know if they enjoyed the seminar; got something out of it; did it meet/exceed their expectations; what else would they like to see covered; would they be interested in an 'Advanced Reflexology Seminar'; etc.<br><br>I hope it goes smoothly for you. <br><br>Be well,<br>Jen
Jen
Registered Member

Postby mush on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:05 am

a variation of this for you could be: reflex for couples.<br>i'm told alot from clients that they want to learn some massage for their mate.<br><br>good points jen! <br><br>i hope it works out for you. let us know if you do this  :)<br><br>
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005
mush
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:17 am

a variation of this for you could be: reflex for couples.

i'm told alot from clients that they want to learn some massage for their mate.

Thank you, I have thought of the reflexology for couples workshop. I am thinking around Valentine's Day (2006) might be perfect. We'll see.  :)
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby maestra on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:39 am

Are you going to actually have them bring their children to practice on?<br>3-4 hours might provide of course a more comprehensive introduction to reflexology but I doubt kids would be good for that long. (I suppose you could always use dolls as they do when teaching baby massage.)<br>LOL Depending on how open minded the parents were ...and if you had some washable markers (non-toxic) you could have them draw the reflex point on their child's foot. <br>Would it be a series of classes? Or just one general workshop? You could really make it into a series of short classes... dividing up the class by common problems parents have. Each class might be an hour to 1.5 hrs long, and parents could take as many "segments" of the class as they wished.<br>Ex: Bonding with Baby, Colic, ADD/ADHD, etc.<br>In addition, you could drop off fliers @ health food stores, children's clothing stores, toy stores, etc. You might even get one of the "Stores" to "Partner" with you on this. (They could perhaps promote you "in store" and in their newsletters and you might even get another store to contribute the "healthy snacks" that were mentioned.<br>In this way you would be getting your name "out there" to many parents and doing some great networking besides.<br>Would there be a charge for this class? How much?<br>Will there be a "Booklet" or some sort of info or products for parents to take home?  Don't forget to include something for them to Keep with your name and phone # on it!<br>Don't forget to play some nice relaxing music during the class as "background"... <br>But it definitely sounds fun, and I hope you'll keep us informed about how it goes!<br>
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby KneadedMassage on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:12 am

Breaking it down is a good idea, so people can spread the word and bring more people to the next one.<br><br>When you are developing your flyer, I would start with the benefits first.  I think that will catch people's attention.  If you start with "What is Reflexology", people might just see a big word and not think it applies to them.  If you start with something like "Looking for ways to calm your colicky baby?" then you might get people to stop and read further. <br><br>When you distribute to your "Mom" locations, I would recommend talking with owners, managers, teachers at that location and explain what you are doing.  They may make some verbal recommendations to the moms who have maybe expressed frustration with certain issues with their children.
KneadedMassage
Registered Member

Postby sagetherapist on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:58 am

I love the idea about the washable markers (one of my instructors used to draw landmarks on the demo body in school), but was thinking, why not ask them to bring a pair of socks or footies that may be drawn on? That way they can take home their "trail guide" for practice.<br>Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby SpiritedJen on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:05 am

We used grease pencils in school. They were messy but they sure helped you remember where things were. They make socks and gloves with reflexology maps on them right? Those might be handy too.
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller
www.spiritedawaymassage.abmp.com
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:48 am

Would it be a series of classes? Or just one general workshop? You could really make it into a series of short classes... dividing up the class by common problems parents have. Each class might be an hour to 1.5 hrs long, and parents could take as many "segments" of the class as they wished.
Ex: Bonding with Baby, Colic, ADD/ADHD, etc.<br>

I really like this idea Maestra. I think my mind is running with it.  :D
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:50 am

They make socks and gloves with reflexology maps on them right? Those might be handy too.

I personally don't like the socks and gloves, it segments the feet and hands too much and takes away from the "whole body" concept. I would much rather send parents home with a reflex chart to refer to when they forget a reflex's location.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby maestra on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:04 am

Plus the socks and gloves are made for adults, not "pint sized" for "little people." Besides... what if you are on vacation or somewhere without your socks or gloves and your baby needs you to work the reflexes that bring them relief. But you can't... because your stuff is at home. <br><br>Glad you liked the idea of breaking up the class and making a series out of it. My thinking there was that there may be some parents with children in different age groups...and with different issues.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:02 pm

Okay, here's the update: I have decided to hold off on the workshops until I return from Amsterdam the latter end of September. One of the speakers at the conference will be talking about ADD/ADHD and how reflexology helps. I am thinking this will be valuable information to have and will start my first workshop on this topic.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby gracefulbeing on Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:11 am

Oh, please start a new subject line with ADD/ADHD when you return.  I would love the info.  :)
gracefulbeing
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:00 am

Oh, please start a new subject line with ADD/ADHD when you return.  I would love the info.  :)

Will do.  :)
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:30 am

Pete wrote:Sounds like a lot of good ideas have already been tossed out there.  One thing for me to add, is don't forget to contact day-care providers and preschools, gymnastics centers and the local "Mommy and Me" classes.

If it was mentioned and I missed it, I apologize in advance. I didn't see anyone mention Baby Furniture Stores.

For example, there is a Baby's First Furniture across the street from us. It's huge and garners a lot of traffic. They are very receptive to flyers and "coupons" there. Maybe you have one in your neck of the woods too. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:46 am

Thanks for resurrecting this thread pueppi!

Since I first posted I have given multiple lectures and workshops on this topic. I am in fact between a two-part lecture for parents of children with special needs (autism, ADD, ADHD, learning disabilities, etc...). It is very well received and I get asked to give this sort of talk fairly often. It is fun to look back here and see some of these early threads when I was first starting out. See how far we've come. :)
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby GreenDragonfly on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Dragonflies wrote:Thanks for resurrecting this thread pueppi!

Since I first posted I have given multiple lectures and workshops on this topic. I am in fact between a two-part lecture for parents of children with special needs (autism, ADD, ADHD, learning disabilities, etc...). It is very well received and I get asked to give this sort of talk fairly often. It is fun to look back here and see some of these early threads when I was first starting out. See how far we've come. :)

I also think it is great to see topics come full circle! Your work sounds very rewarding!
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics