poll: reflexology and bodywork

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

poll: reflexology and bodywork

Postby makingachange on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 pm

poll: is reflexology a good introduction to bodywork for people hesitant about receiving massage therapy?

what are your thoughts about this?
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby makingachange on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 pm

i'll start..

i have to say that this is a subject that frustrates me. which is why i have two separate services on my menu: i have reflexology, and i have a hydrotherapy foot treatment.

i don't like the idea of using a reflexology session to introduce them to massage, i don't feel like the sessions are that similar. although massage is definitely my first love, reflexology comes as a very close second and i find that when people are educated about the benefits and flow of the session they are surprised to realize that they have heard of it before, and they become more interested.

if i have a client who is hesitant about a full body massage, i direct them more to a neck/shoulder tx or the hydrotherapy foot tx. if they pick the second, then after the service i will begin giving the client an intro to reflexology in the event they are interested for the next time they book.

amanda
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby lattiss on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 pm

I think it's a good idea.

Some of my male friends don't like the idea of laying in bed and have oil rubbed on them, but some of them tried chair massage and reflexology and enjoyed them, and eventually tried full body massage.
lattiss
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:59 am

I think the reason reflexology can be a good introduction to massage is not because it is similar to a massage, but because it is an introduction to touch. It doesn't really matter what the style or modality is, except as far as whether that individual will like it or not. Reflexology may be a good intro for certain people, neck massage for others, and foot massage for others.

My experience is that most people who need an "Introduction to massage" are hesitant because of the touch factor. Once they receive touch, and learn that it feels good, is for their benefit, and that they are comfortable with it, then can go on to decide what kind of massage or bodywork they would really enjoy, or what therapist.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Re: poll: reflexology and bodywork

Postby pueppi on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 pm

I lean more toward makingachange's viewpoint.

Most times when someone is looking for reflexology, they are not looking for massage --- and that goes the same for someone looking for massage is not usually going to be looking for reflexology. So the idea of using reflexology to introduce one to massage is somewhat incomplete.

You may be able to introduce someone to massage through a good foot rub. You may even be able to talk to them about massage and provide them with a massage example. On occasion you may have the reflexology client who becomes interested in massage. But, I don't think that was what the poll was asking.

I consider this question akin to asking if one would use chiropractic as an introduction to massage. They are just two seperate things. They are different. Both good for the individual, but different entities nonetheless.

So, no, I don't think I would use relexology to introduce someone to massage. I would use massage to introduce someone to massage.

I think a better question from the Massage Magazine would have been: "Is reflexology a good introduction to alternative medicine for people hesitant about receiving bodywork?"

Then, I would have said "yes". :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby reflexologymentor on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:01 pm

I think it all depends on the therapist, communication skills, intention and what does the client need and want. What does not work for one will work perfectly for another. Individualism makes all the difference and how one interacts with their clients or prospective clients. As a massage therapist and professional reflexologist, I offer both services and it HAS happened that someone who received reflexology then wanted my massage as a result, without my promoting it that way. Then at other times, no way are they leaving the foot work, they love it so and say they feel like they had a full massage (we've all heard that), so be it, that is their choice. Then I have those who want both, in combo and alternating sessions of massage and reflexology. I do find with 'new' massage clients, they cannot resist the impact of the reflexology on their feet and of course, often THEY want more reflexology. I say keep your options open, the client will decide and choose. Introduce them to "touch" is the key, honoring boundaries and all that we know... keeping in mind the principle of offering a solution for their need, their problem, their pain -- and offer the choices based on that, all will happen organically. Namaste.
The Reflexology Mentor tm
http://www.ReflexologyMentor.com

Business Coach/Mentor for Reflexology-Preneurs
reflexologymentor
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:55 am

reflexologymentor wrote: Introduce them to "touch" is the key, honoring boundaries and all that we know... keeping in mind the principle of offering a solution for their need, their problem, their pain -- and offer the choices based on that, all will happen organically.

Thanks for the well thought out post. I agree with the above statement.

Reflexology is a way to introduce them to "touch". I see how reflexology by a dual licensed practitioner will introduce the client the other portion of your practice (massage), but is that the reflexology introducing them to the massage, or the reflexology introducing them to you?

Just adding this question, not to be a pest, but to encourage more comments. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics