Advice for new reflexologist

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Advice for new reflexologist

Postby xavion on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 am

Hi I am a new Reflexologist (RCR) and LMT. I live in a VERY small town and to my knowledge there are no other Reflexologists around. I truly feel that people would be open to receiving treatments if they could experience it themselves.
I was thinking of approaching the local hospital and offering to do free "samples" on the staff and then if that went over well, possibly offering treatments to the families of patients in the ICU (who spend hours in uncomforable chairs worried about their loved ones).
Perhaps these people would feel what a difference reflexology can make on the body (and mind) and become regular clients and tell their friends about it.
Have any of you tried this? Do you think it's a bad idea? I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
xavion
Fresh Hands

Postby makingachange on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 am

hi! welcome to the board!

i think that is a wonderful idea - and no i've never tried that particular one before. introducing this wonderful modality will take patience and time, but when you allow people to experience it, and educate them on the benefits, you will see that your business will grow very well. you're on the right track with this thought.

this forum is full of ideas to jump start your career - even the ones that apply to techniques other than what you specifically do can be tweaked and apply very well to your practice. pour over the threads and don't be afraid to jump in!

mostly, develop a brief way to explain what you do, some people will call it an elevator speech - a polished 30-45 second response to someone who asks what you do that tells them very clearly. this may take some time, but you can do it and it's best coming from your mouth. for instance, to someone who has never heard of reflexology, if you say, "i'm a reflexologist" you might find that the conversation ends right there. but if you say 'i help people free themselves from stress, pain and dis-ease through an ancient modality that is used on the hands and feet", that might spark more interest.

good luck! Image
~amanda
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby xavion on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:10 am

Thank you Amanda! I feel more hopeful now:-)

I've spent countless hours on BWO since I started massage school (when I should have been studying!) but I enjoy reading all the great advice and experiences shared by people who obviously love what they do.

After being in retail management for over 20 years this is a wonderful change for me.

Thanks again..
xavion
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:19 am

Welcome xavion!

I know quite a few reflexologists that work in hospitals, most are in the oncology department. While I've not volunteered my time at a hospital from what I understand it can be very emotionally rewarding.

I would recommend posing your question to the Kunz' Reflexology Community for some great international advice. I'll bet you'll get tips on who to approach, what type of proposal to put together for the hospital and how to setup a reflexology program in one of the departments. You may even explore the idea of seeking out a grant for funding of this type of program and train volunteers in basic hand reflexology techniques so that more patients can experience the wonderful relaxation of this modality.

Best of luck to you!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Ryan on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:54 am

Hey,

This sounds like a great idea. Here's a couple things you could do to attract some clients.

1. Reflexology Brochures

Create your own brochure to promote Reflexology. In order to gather more clients, you have to educate them first regarding the healing power of reflexology. Thus, in your brochure, you have to give them bits of information that would attract them to try reflexology. Then, in particular, to try your reflexology.

2. Reflexology Website
Providing a website to promote your services as well as just promoting Reflexology would help out a lot. A lot of people prefer to do there research for this type of thing online as it gives them a way to find out the information they need without the pressure of commitment.

Let me know if you'd like more ideas. :)

Ryan Connolly
Ryan
Fresh Hands

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics