Offering a 30 minute session for cold and flu season

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Offering a 30 minute session for cold and flu season

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:16 am

I've been brainstorming this idea for a while now. I have the 30 minute Taiwanese Father Josef method under my belt and am thinking of bringing it out and offering it on my menu, especially for cold and flu season. For the last 4.5 years I've only ever offered 60 minute and 90 minute sessions. Has anyone else introduced a half hour session to an existing practice? How did it go for you?

I am also trying to figure out if it makes sense to put certain limitations on this half hour session or not. One thought was to offer it only as a prepaid package, another is if it were tied into my maintenance program (bi-weekly and monthly sessions).
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby softy515 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:23 am

I don't do reflexology but a half hour sounds great! Go for it!
softy515
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 am

Depends...are you usually at your practice most days or would you have to make a trip just for a 30 min session?

That is probably the main reason 30 min sessions are shunned, too big a hassle.

The reality is, they are easier to schedule vs. longer sessions and you can usually charge $5+ more than you would vs. 1/2 your 60 min price.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:57 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:Depends...are you usually at your practice most days or would you have to make a trip just for a 30 min session?

I walk to my office so even a special trip isn't too much of a bother. I am there most days of the week though, but you make a good point on scheduling.

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:The reality is, they are easier to schedule vs. longer sessions and you can usually charge $5+ more than you would vs. 1/2 your 60 min price.

Yeah, I was thinking of charging $40 for the half hour, I charge $70 for an hour and $100 for 90 minutes.

I think the "quick" session will be marketable to those who need more frequent sessions for targeted issues. A client could get in twice in the same week for $10 more than they would if they came once so that may be a draw too.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby makingachange on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:07 am

what a terrific idea! i agree with r&r's statements, and your answers would apply to me as well. i've not offered a 30 minute session before, and to be honest it's because i much prefer to work longer than that. but given the state of things, i am seeing more people ask about shorter sesions. ... i think you're way ahead of us on offering that shrotened session.

now that i think about it, i have offered 45 min sessions before and that went pretty well. i think my typical session right now is 75 mins.

i'll have to consider this with my own practice as well! thanks for the great idea!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 am

makingachange wrote:i've not offered a 30 minute session before, and to be honest it's because i much prefer to work longer than that.

A full session of Reflexology is my preferred mode too but I'm seeing more and more how a 20-30 minute session is so helpful for my hubby. I'd love to see some of my clients more frequently and I think the financial break and the shorter session might make that happen. I think I will shoot for a trial period and see how it goes. If it is adding to the practice and benefiting clients then I'll keep it on the menu, if not I'll phase it out.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby maestra on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:07 am

Dragonflies,
Can I ask what makes it different than regular reflexology? I mean, what would be the draw besides the length of time... what makes it good for cold and flu season? Is it because it's designed to boost the immunity or can you actually work on someone who is not feeling well?
Just wondered...
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 am

maestra wrote:Dragonflies,
Can I ask what makes it different than regular reflexology? I mean, what would be the draw besides the length of time... what makes it good for cold and flu season? Is it because it's designed to boost the immunity or can you actually work on someone who is not feeling well?
Just wondered...

Good question maestra! This form of Reflexology is very effective for acute conditions and yes, I treat during illness, which makes it perfect for cold and flu season! :grin:

The Rwo Shur method of Reflexology is a very intense, short session that uses a good amount of pressure. So a full hour is not ideal since it can be too much for most clients. The Universal and Ingham styles of Reflexology lend themselves to longer sessions - such as the 45-60 minute treatments. In a 90 minute session I offer the Flocco Integrated method where I work on the hands, feet and ears. The 60 and 90 minute sessions are great for relaxing and working through more chronic conditions.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 am

I've just thought to add that if anyone is interested in more info on this method of Reflexology to feel free to pm me!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:46 pm

Wow... from a consumer standpoint, "reflexology" comes off as a homogeneous thing... seems like educating folks as to these different styles would be very very valuable.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:21 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:Wow... from a consumer standpoint, "reflexology" comes off as a homogeneous thing... seems like educating folks as to these different styles would be very very valuable.

Hmm, I'm trying. :D

I will officially launch my new menu item "Half Hour Healing Session" tomorrow morning with the e-newsletter going out. I'll post here how things go. Thanks for all of the help you guys!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Yay, congrats!

And I hope my comment didn't come off as putting ALL the responsibility on you :-) I think you are doing a great job... you certainly doubled my reflexology knowledge in one post ;-)

Reflexology as a field though... sounds like they need a spot on Oprah sometime!
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:Yay, congrats!

And I hope my comment didn't come off as putting ALL the responsibility on you :-) I think you are doing a great job... you certainly doubled my reflexology knowledge in one post ;-)

Reflexology as a field though... sounds like they need a spot on Oprah sometime!

We do need another spot on Oprah. And more Dr Oz saying "I use reflexology with every heart patient I see" and more of Anthony Bourdain seeing a Reflexologist on his travel channel show. We're getting there, and no, I don't take the responsibility all by myself but I am very proactive on education with my clients. :)

I hope this post comes out OK, I'm posting from my Treo for the first time in awhile.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Timedess on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Your post looks ok to me, Dragonflies!

I like the idea of the shorter, "healing/healthy flu season" session. I'll have to mention that idea to my hubby and see what he thinks of coming up with something similar.

I will go to your site to learn more about Reflexology when I have some more time- I can't stay online for very long right now. I am definitely interested in learning more!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Update

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am

So, I'm about half way through cold and flu season and didn't get a bite one about this half hour session. :roll:

I have to laugh though because I've had an increase in 90 minute sessions, an increase in clients with acute cold symptoms, and some pretty good cases lately. Really can't complain but I don't know if I'll keep the 30 minute session on the menu permanently.

There were some inquiries about shorter sessions for a one-time trial but I'm not a pedicurist and can't see a new client in 30 minutes for a one-time session. Heck, with most of my new clients I'm just getting to the application of techniques at the end of thirty minutes with the health intake I do! :lol:

Anyway, I'll keep brainstorming on here and with my colleagues in the profession on the subject of a short Reflexology session. If you have any thoughts or suggestions feel free to pm or post!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby EgoMagickian on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:31 pm

You might find if you drop it, your 90 minutes decrease...

It's very possible that having this on the menu increases the perceived value of your longer sessions. Weird how that can work. I've seen it at the spa and the chair massage company I worked for.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:36 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:You might find if you drop it, your 90 minutes decrease...

It's very possible that having this on the menu increases the perceived value of your longer sessions. Weird how that can work. I've seen it at the spa and the chair massage company I worked for.

Good point Josh! I hadn't put that together but I'll bet you're right. :grin:
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby EgoMagickian on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:10 pm

So, do you think I should get that 30 minute service up on the website that I've been meaning to place there for, what, a year and a half? LOL
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics