I have a question...

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

I have a question...

Postby makingachange on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 am

but i'm not a certified reflexologist..<br><br>i did go to a very competitive school (7 yrs ago) that had a great focus on reflexology, they also taught us that it IS a specialized field and one MUST be certified in it to offer it properly.  <br><br>the problem is, i have two small children and have just begun my own business and don't know if i have the ability right now to take on the extra training although i'd love to.<br><br>so for right now, i have a wonderful certified RT here in town that i will refer to, but i also love doing some of the tx within my integrated therapies.<br><br>i've gotten some books and a dvd to learn from and am learning a great deal.  here's the sticky part:<br><br>is it legal to include this as part of my tx?  i don't advertise sole reflexology tx, but i think in the descrip. of my lower body tx i put 'gentle reflexology'.  is that ok or not?  i know that lots of times LMTs assume it's ok until someone tells them otherwise.  and i've realized that i've fallen into that category.<br><br>so?  what are your thoughts and can you forgive me for rambling?!?  thanks in advance!<br><br>also - can anyone who is certified tell me what the hourly requirements are so that i can try to wrap my head around that number?<br><br>thanks again
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Re: I have a question...

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:48 am

Hi LivingWell, it is very polite of you to approach this topic so humbly!  :)<br><br>The National level is 200 hours for certification as a reflexologist.<br><br>You may want to ask yourself if ethically you're okay with practicing and advertising a modality that you don't have sufficient training in.  You may also want to figure out if you would be putting yourself and your business in legal jeopardy by advertising without the credentials to match. As the profession of Reflexology grows, it has recently been added to the National Complementary and Alternative Medicine category, more States will be encouraged to add requirements for reflexology in the bodywork industry. Currently State and National associations are trying to educate therapists and consumers about reflexology and how it is not foot massage.<br><br>For me the issue is more black and white than for some, I'd never offer plumbing services after reading Better Homes and Gardens "how to install a kitchen sink." There are also reflexologists out there practicing to feed their small children too. <br><br>Be honest with your clients and tell them you have brief training in foot reflexology, call it a yummy foot massage; but a 10 minute foot rub is not reflexology and by advertising as such it takes away from the profession.<br><br>No hard feelings please, I get a little overzealous about reflexology.  :D BTW - I am certified and spend more time educating my clients that the 10 minute foot rub they got at the nail salon was not reflexology. <br><br>What State are you in? Perhaps I can help locate information about the requirements (if any) on a local level or what your options are for training. Glad you're networking with a local reflexologist! Networking is great!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby makingachange on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:41 am

oh, heavens, no offense taken at all!  honesty - and respect - are SO IMPORTANT!  thank YOU for being respectful!<br><br>i'm in alabama.  i thought the required hours were way more than 200.  did you do it in weekend workshops, a special school, or what?<br>i would appreciate the help so much.<br>thanks!<br>
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:17 am

oh, heavens, no offense taken at all!  honesty - and respect - are SO IMPORTANT!  thank YOU for being respectful!

i'm in alabama.  i thought the required hours were way more than 200.  did you do it in weekend workshops, a special school, or what?

i would appreciate the help so much.

thanks!

Yeah our 200 hours seem like nothing compared to the UK! :D They go to "university" for their reflexology studies! I'd still be in school if I lived on the other side of the pond.  ;)

I went to a massage school that offered a certificate program in reflexology. They were two classes of 100 hours each, they ran 12 weeks long for a total of 24 weeks with a semester break between the two. I have since added to those hours with workshops on the weekend, though they don't count towards my initial certification, more as CEU's.

Alabama has a State Association - it's out of Daphne.  Here's the contact info:
Name: Alabama  
Address: 912 Van Ave #713
City, State: Daphne, Alabama
Zip Code: 36526
Phone: 1-215-625-0080
E-Mail: [email protected]
(this is courtesy of the Reflexology Association of America at http://www.reflexology-usa.org)

I would think they (ARA) would be a great resource for info on any local reflexology programs and workshops. If you don't find anything locally I've heard the best correspondence program is through the Universal College of Reflexology out of Alberta Canada. They're online at: http://www.universalreflex.com/

Well, I hope this helps as a start. If I run across other information that might be relevant I'll post it here or PM you with it.  :)
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Sharon on Tue May 23, 2006 4:12 am

Dear Livingwell,

Maybe I am a bit late on replying here, but I have only just discovered this site, so I beg your forgiveness...

I would have to agree with Dragonflies response to your question. Including extra 'yummy' bits to your tx can only serve as a plus for the patient/client- and would not, I believe, contradict any code of ethics if it is done with the sole purpose of enhancing the tx and promoting healing/relaxation, etc.

But, making any claim for specific tx without certification and training would be a no-no in my book as well.
I too spend a lot of time feeding the clients brain with as much education as I can into a tx, without sounding too preachy- some folks are more receptive than others, and easier done with familiar clients whom you have built that lovely rapport with! I come from a teaching background (Humane Education and State Voc. Instructor, once upon a time...) so I have to work sometimes not to climb on my soapbox about what is happening during/after the tx!

My own children are grown now, in fact my oldest son is at Fort Rucker in AL! But I remember well, trying to juggle the 'littleuns' and a business as well as furthering education! You are undoubtedly an inspired woman! I wish you all the best in your Refelxology quest!

Blessings,
Sharon
Sharon
Certified Reflexology Therapist
Sharon
Fresh Hands

Postby makingachange on Tue May 23, 2006 2:55 pm

hi sharon!

since i posted originally, i've taken a course and have been working with a CRT. and i can't tell you how much i've read.

the practicing has been beneficial - my clients love the work and we really are seeing a world of improvement in almost all of their cases.

i will be going to denver in june and will see sue stackhouse while i'm there (canine reflexology), and am hoping to attend the 7 day intensive on the west coast in the fall (all depends on the storm season this year, we live on the coast). i can tell that training will continue forever, just as every other subject.

amanda
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue May 23, 2006 6:27 pm

I've done about 90hours of reflexology training, books, videos. To be a licensed reflexologist in Australia it's about 500hrs, a lot of that is the anatomy, etc, that is covered in licenced massage qualifications, so I'm actually only about 100hrs off the qualification, plus 50hrs of supervised clinic, but I'm not going to do that.

I don't offer reflexology sessions, but I do say "reflexology techniques" may be used in a massage. I mainly just use the opening relaxation sequence I've learnt, and I know how to loosen up tight areas in the feet pretty effectively with the limited training I've done :)
melb
Registered Member

Postby Sharon on Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 am

Hi Amanda!

Thats wonderful! Good for you- sounds like you are moving right along your path!
Interesting, isn't it, how things come together once we put the thought/desire/energy out there?

I am interested in the canine reflexology (have not been exposed to this before)- especially with my previous 7 years work with the SPCA in CA.

Maybe you might consider posting on it when you return from your seminar! Sounds like fun.

I will keep a protective thought for you and yours regarding the upcoming storm season...Blessings.
Sharon
Sharon
Certified Reflexology Therapist
Sharon
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:05 am

makingachange wrote:I did go to a very competitive school (7 yrs ago) that had a great focus on reflexology, they also taught us that it IS a specialized field and one MUST be certified in it to offer it properly.

...So for right now, i have a wonderful certified RT here in town that i will refer to, but i also love doing some of the tx within my integrated therapies

...I don't advertise sole reflexology tx, but i think in the descrip. of my lower body tx i put 'gentle reflexology'.  

Dragonflies wrote:Be honest with your clients and tell them you have brief training in foot reflexology, call it a yummy foot massage; but a 10 minute foot rub is not reflexology and by advertising as such it takes away from the profession!

I know of a few people who are not Reflexologists, but doe work the feet "more" than the average MT. Those individuals call what they do "Reflex Therapy" (which seems to connotate to the average person that they will be getting foot work, even if it's not a real reflexology session). Granted, if we want the Reflexologists to be more recognized, something like this may not be helpful, but on the other hand, I believe that if the MT does their part to educate the client that they are not performing a real reflexology session, it may be just what is needed to help increase the awareness of the profession.

Reflexologists, I would love to hear your input on this theory.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics