Gym/exercise ball instead of stool?

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Gym/exercise ball instead of stool?

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Wondering if any of you practicing reflexology (or massage) use a gym/exercise ball instead of a stool?

I saw this on another board and thought it was such a great idea...in theory! Haha. Any feeback?
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Gym/exercise ball instead of stool?

Postby TouchofGrace on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Only thing I know about the exercise ball is what I read on the most embarrassing moment in front of a client thread.... Someone posted using one and falling backwards with her legs up in the air. that would be my luck lol
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength
TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby Vivian on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 am

I don't like the stools with the wheels. The wheels stick out and are noisy when you kick them, and I cannot seem to avoid kicking them, they are always in the way.
I like using the balls, they are not noisy if you bump them. Just be sure it's safely tucked out of the way before your client gets off the table.
Vivian
Eco friendly Hemp Microwave Heating Pad for moist heat therapy.
Vivian
Registered Member

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:00 pm

I have a nice wooden stool without rollers. But, I am very curious about the ball. Likes I said, it sounds great in theory. Glad to know that there are a few practitioners using them without issue.

Someone mentioned that the ball makes a noise when you get up from it (?). Like a passing-gas sound, I guess.

Vivian - are you using a small one?

TouchofGrace wrote:Someone posted using one and falling backwards with her legs up in the air. that would be my luck lol

LOL! :lol:

I think I'd be using it without clients for a while in order to get used to it. :altsmile:
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby Talenyn on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:27 pm

When I had my own office I used a ball, and I loved it! I didn't have any problems at all. I would puchase a "burst proof" ball and spend a little extra. My exploded in the middle of the night (after I brought it home). That could have been a nasty surprise mid-massage!
The Other Side of the Sun - Earth's Treasures Brought to Light - www.tosots.com
Talenyn
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Talenyn wrote:When I had my own office I used a ball, and I loved it! I didn't have any problems at all. I would puchase a "burst proof" ball and spend a little extra. My exploded in the middle of the night (after I brought it home). That could have been a nasty surprise mid-massage!

Thanks, Talenyn!

OMG...that's just too much... :smt044
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby Vivian on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Kindred Spirits wrote:I have a nice wooden stool without rollers. But, I am very curious about the ball. Likes I said, it sounds great in theory. Glad to know that there are a few practitioners using them without issue.

Someone mentioned that the ball makes a noise when you get up from it (?). Like a passing-gas sound, I guess.

Vivian - are you using a small one?

TouchofGrace wrote:Someone posted using one and falling backwards with her legs up in the air. that would be my luck lol

LOL! :lol:

I think I'd be using it without clients for a while in order to get used to it. :altsmile:

It was a big one originally but has slowly shrank, I should pump some more air into it, but I have adapted to the smaller size, well, I guess I prefer it.
And no, it does not make any sound when you rise off of it, they are very quiet.
But it is easy for one to get in your way. It's almost like they have a magnetic attraction to people, you push it out of the way and it rolls back to you, if you walk by it fast the air movement will make it move and I swear it sometimes follows you.
I have learned to tuck/wedge it under one end of the table to protect myself and my massage dazed clients.
Vivian
Eco friendly Hemp Microwave Heating Pad for moist heat therapy.
Vivian
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 am

In the Universal technique I spend the session adjusting my stool a good six inches up and down as I work the feet. The swiss/exercise/yoga ball wouldn't work for me because I need the flexibility in height throughout a session. However, I could imagine it would be great if you're using a massage table - you could just adjust the bolster under the client's feet as needed.

Another factor where the ball would absolutely not work for me: my Maternity Reflexology clients. See I work from a recliner and my full term clients feet are in my lap. I use an alternate stool for these sessions that goes very low to the floor.

I do love using the ball as a replacement to a desk stool though. Be sure you pick the right ball for your height and weight and do invest in a quality one and a bike bump. It will save you $ in the long run if it isn't popping all the time or causing a personal injury.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Rozax on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 am

It sounds like a great idea for most, but I don't have the balance for it. I went to an aerobics class that used the ball and I kept falling off. I looked forward to getting better, but I had to quit because I couldn't stand the music she was using. Seriously, of all the music crafted specifically for aerobics, she'd use a Fergy remix??
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 am

I use the ball also. I very much dislike the noise a stools makes on my hardwood floors. And I also us it all the time to work on my back bends and crunches while I wait for clients
JLWmassage

Postby pyronymph on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 am

I just put air in mine! I love it, way more comfy than any stool I've used thus far. Plus it helps me with keeping good posture while I'm sitting.
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. - Dick Cavett
pyronymph
Registered Member

Postby Sole_Purpose on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am

I was using a yoga ball for a long while, but it was just not happening for me. It's very comfortable and a great working height, but I need to be more mobile and I just can't get that with the ball. I do really love the ball for loosening up my hips and low back though.

JLWmassage wrote:And I also us it all the time to work on my back bends and crunches while I wait for clients
Hehe! ...you're good!
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics