Evaluating a reflexology place before going

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Evaluating a reflexology place before going

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Hey folks,

I read this article at http://scottsvalley.patch.com/articles/treat-your-feet — makes me want to pass it on to my family who live in that area. But the website has almost no info on it: http://www.flyingcranemassage.com/

Would you go try that business? Or, what questions would you want to have answered first?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Evaluating a reflexology place before going

Postby MarionFM on Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Sounds pretty nice to me. And they got a testimonial.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Dragonflies on Fri May 06, 2011 6:18 am

EgoMagickian wrote:Would you go try that business?

This sounds like a classic Asian style foot massage center Josh, probably very similar to what I found in SF's Chinatown. Would I go? Perhaps. The ridiculously low prices and the statement from their website "acupressure foot massage (aka reflexology)" make me hesitate. For one acupressure and reflexology are very different techniques and map systems. Secondly, how they are taking care of their employees with such low rates? Reflexology "parlors" around the States are being shut down with charges of human trafficking and prostitution and that has made me quite the skeptic of a cheap foot massage place. :irked:

EgoMagickian wrote:Or, what questions would you want to have answered first?

Of any establishment advertising Reflexology, I would want to know at least these two things:
1) Is the practitioner formally trained in Reflexology or did he/she just take a weekend workshop?
2) Will they do a health history intake (big red flag to me if they don't take one or adhere to standard contraindications in the profession)?

Now, if I am going for just a foot massage (a la like the pedicurist) I don't get into questions about education since I'm only there to relax and have my feet massaged.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby RedReflex on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

New member here :D
My take on all of this is one of a spoiled reflexologist.
I no longer pay for reflexology - I trade.
The best currency with which to remunerate a reflexologist is reflexology itself!
When you have a valuable skill (reflexology) and can effectively transmute it to payment, I say GO FOR IT!
For the record, I agree with Dragonflies statement regarding "acupressure foot massage (aka reflexology)." Definitely gets my antennae up.
Although, it's a non-starter for me for the previously stated reason.
I learned long ago the best reflexology is from someone to whom you then return the favor.
Great forum!
Thanks,
Wayne
"Take it to the limit, one more time."
Don Henley - Eagles 1975
RedReflex
Fresh Hands

Postby Taoist on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:27 pm

I agree with Dragonflies as well. If I just wanted to doze off after being on my feet all day or a foot rub before getting my toenails painted, yeah, I'd go there. Like the article stated, there are still whole-body benefits, but the chance of them occurring just by "accident" is pretty high.

However, if I wanted some serious reflexology and needed something specific from the session and wanted someone who definitely knows what they're doing, I would prefer to see someone like Mr. Wayne, who posted above me, and pay his $100/hr fee because I can see just from his website that he must have quite a bit of education behind him. Just comparing his website and The Flying Crane's is a good example of the differences that Dragonflies mentioned.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am

RedReflex wrote:Hi Everyone,

New member here :D
My take on all of this is one of a spoiled reflexologist.
I no longer pay for reflexology - I trade.
The best currency with which to remunerate a reflexologist is reflexology itself!
When you have a valuable skill (reflexology) and can effectively transmute it to payment, I say GO FOR IT!
For the record, I agree with Dragonflies statement regarding "acupressure foot massage (aka reflexology)." Definitely gets my antennae up.
Although, it's a non-starter for me for the previously stated reason.
I learned long ago the best reflexology is from someone to whom you then return the favor.
Great forum!
Thanks,
Wayne

Welcome to the board Wayne! Always nice to have another Reflexologist around to talk shop with.

I very rarely trade sessions anymore but I gladly pay my Reflexologist and I get a treatment at least once a month for 'maintenance' and weekly if I am experiencing an imbalance.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby RedReflex on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the "Welcome" to the forum, Dragonflies :D

Life's been a-Buzz since my last post, but...
Truth be told, If it hadn't been, I would've been bored :-)
Anyway, I'm in the process of producing a series of reflexology videos that I will be releasing one at a time on my website.
These are free content and it's really a labor of love - I love my video camera! :lol:
But seriously, reflexology is a gift I wish to share because it is how I can give back for being blessed with something wonderful to share.
The first video will be on Hand Reflexology. And the second will be on How to Give Yourself Foot Reflexology. Subsequent videos will be titled and announced as they manifest. :?:
Anyway, I wanted to be sure and give everyone here in the forum a heads up and I'll be sure to post a link to the videos when they are up.

Hope everyone is doing well as we engage in the Holidays.

Many Continued Blessings,

Wayne
"Take it to the limit, one more time."
Don Henley - Eagles 1975
RedReflex
Fresh Hands

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics