Book Reviews

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Book Reviews

Postby Dragonflies on Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:55 pm

The Reflexology Deck by Katy Dreyfuss<br><br>I found the charts to be in the American Standard style in this deck and the instructions were very user-friendly. This would be a great gift for a relative or loved one that you can't work on because of distance. I really enjoyed the Ear Charts in this deck and the directions to do an ear session was a bit different than what I had trained in so it was nice to add to my existing style.<br>-------------------------------------------------<br><br>Reflexology: Health at your fingertips by Barbara & Kevin Kunz<br><br>Beautiful full color photographs and charts! An excellent resource for the practitioner or anyone curious about reflexology. <br>------------------------------------------------<br><br>(I'll post more as I put my bookcase back together!)
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
User avatar
Dragonflies
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:17 pm

Postby shivashiva on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 am

:arrow: Bump :!: (fun with icons!)

I'm looking for good books on reflexology. I haven't read any yet so I can't contribute to this thread. But I will when I do! I will definitely try and check both of these mentioned out.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
User avatar
shivashiva
Registered Member
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: New Mexico

Postby UCR on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi,

There are so many books out these days on Reflexology. However, one needs to be discerning on what one reads. I recommend two books to all of our beginning students. Eunice Ingham, the mother of modern Reflexology wrote a wonderful book in 1938 - titled "Stories the Feet Can Tell". It's a great read and really well written (especially in its original print). In 1953, Eunice wrote and had published her follow-up book "Stories the Feet Can Tell".

These are the classics of Reflexology.

They are currently available in reproduction as a single book bearing both those names. Some of the information has been changed (updated) and you can find this reproduction in many book stores.

Enjoy!

Jack Marriott, CSM CRI CBS CSM
Universal College of Reflexology
www.universalreflex.com
UCR
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Edmonton

Re:

Postby pueppi on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm

UCR wrote:I recommend two books to all of our beginning students. Eunice Ingham, the mother of modern Reflexology wrote a wonderful book in 1938 - titled "Stories the Feet Can Tell". It's a great read and really well written (especially in its original print). In 1953, Eunice wrote and had published her follow-up book "Stories the Feet Can Tell".

These are the classics of Reflexology.

They are currently available in reproduction as a single book bearing both those names. Some of the information has been changed (updated) and you can find this reproduction in many book stores.


I apologize for not being in the "know"... but the two books you listed have the same name. Was this a mis-print or are they two different books with the same title, just written in different years?

Help! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
User avatar
pueppi
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5887
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 am
Location: Texas / The Lone Star State

Re: Re:

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 pm

pueppi wrote:
UCR wrote:I recommend two books to all of our beginning students. Eunice Ingham, the mother of modern Reflexology wrote a wonderful book in 1938 - titled "Stories the Feet Can Tell". It's a great read and really well written (especially in its original print). In 1953, Eunice wrote and had published her follow-up book "Stories the Feet Can Tell".

These are the classics of Reflexology.

They are currently available in reproduction as a single book bearing both those names. Some of the information has been changed (updated) and you can find this reproduction in many book stores.


I apologize for not being in the "know"... but the two books you listed have the same name. Was this a mis-print or are they two different books with the same title, just written in different years?

Help! :)

I think he means "Stories the Feet Can Tell" and "Stories the Feet Have Told." They are now sold together as a single book (at least here in the U.S.). This is the book that I stumbled onto some eleven or so years ago and what pulled me into the world of Reflexology. :)
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
User avatar
Dragonflies
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:17 pm

Re: Book Reviews

Postby blissfulbalance on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Eunice Ingham's combined book is great. I am enjoying reading of her hugely successful results in treatment of people's feet and it inspires me as I study reflexology in school right now. I can only hope to have a fraction of the results she experienced when I get into the field. Too bad she isn't around to ask questions of and to continue her great work!
Denise
User avatar
blissfulbalance
Registered Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Minnesota

"Stories the Feet Can Tell"

Postby Timedess on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:13 am

Imagine that-- it is available at my tiny little small-town library! I'm going to go check it out on Tuesday (they're closed Sunday and Monday). Interesting!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Book Reviews

Postby blissfulbalance on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:28 am

That's great Timedess! Something must be bringing the two of you together for a reason.....enjoy! Let us know what you think. :)
Denise
User avatar
blissfulbalance
Registered Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Book Reviews

Postby Timedess on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 am

I will, BlissfulBalance. While Dh and I are not and do not purport to be reflexologists, we both do give a really, really good lower leg/foot massage (and who knows but that actual reflexology classes might be in the future for us?). I've been inspired on a marketing campaign of sorts (see my thread on "First Monday" in the Business Issues & Marketing Discussion forum), and for this particular endeavor, foot massage would definitely be the way to go, and ANYTHING I could learn to enhance my understanding and skills would be very good!!!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Book Reviews

Postby GreenDragonfly on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:56 am

All this isn't exactly on-topic but I just want to share a few things:

I love a good foot treatment. It's been my experience that once people receive a treatment like this they also LOVE it and very much look forward to it being a big part of the massage (that I give)

I took a 16hr class after massage school and it was awesome. I learned a lot, it was so much fun and while I don't tell anyone that I am a reflexologist, I do tell them that I received some training and add it to my massages. I feel that it has added real value to my clients treatment and the feedback has been so good that I am seriously considering going back for the full reflexology cert. Until then, my reading and practice will have to suffice!

I think that to get the most out of any book, it is really helpful to have a 'buddy' to work with and practice with. After taking the class I can see how you get some of the basics from the book, but switching off with someone who is also studying the material really makes it, IMO.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
User avatar
GreenDragonfly
Moderator
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:50 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs

Re: Book Reviews

Postby blissfulbalance on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:04 am

It took me about 7 years from the time I graduated from massage school to go back to school for reflexology. I had always wanted to do it and it is so interesting to me, so I finally did it. Then, I decided to go the whole 9 yards and do the ARCB certification too. I am waiting anxiously for the results of the last part of the exam (I already passed the written and practical) which is the 90 documentations. I sent them in two weeks ago and hope to hear soon. On a side note, I was lucky I went to school when I did, since the school closed about 3 months after I finished...whew! I guess something was telling me not to wait any longer to start. I love reflexology!
Denise
User avatar
blissfulbalance
Registered Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Book Reviews

Postby Timedess on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am

GreenDragonfly wrote:All this isn't exactly on-topic but I just want to share a few things:

I love a good foot treatment. It's been my experience that once people receive a treatment like this they also LOVE it and very much look forward to it being a big part of the massage (that I give)

I took a 16hr class after massage school and it was awesome. I learned a lot, it was so much fun and while I don't tell anyone that I am a reflexologist, I do tell them that I received some training and add it to my massages. I feel that it has added real value to my clients treatment and the feedback has been so good that I am seriously considering going back for the full reflexology cert. Until then, my reading and practice will have to suffice!

I think that to get the most out of any book, it is really helpful to have a 'buddy' to work with and practice with. After taking the class I can see how you get some of the basics from the book, but switching off with someone who is also studying the material really makes it, IMO.


That's one of the cool things about both DH and I being MT's-- we always have a "study buddy", "practice partner", etc.. If only we didn't also find ourselves felling like "the cobbler's children" when it comes to getting massages, LOL!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Book Reviews

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm

GreenDragonfly wrote:I think that to get the most out of any book, it is really helpful to have a 'buddy' to work with and practice with. After taking the class I can see how you get some of the basics from the book, but switching off with someone who is also studying the material really makes it, IMO.

Partnering up is a lot of fun with Ingham's book! My sister and I did it for several years to exchange foot rubs. We thought we were getting quite good actually so I had the biggest laugh when I got to school. I had the thumb walking totally wrong! And most of the reflexes weren't located where I thought they were. Reflexology is so much by feel, "oh, that's the right kidney!!" lol.

Just remember that the difference between a foot massage and a foot Reflexology treatment is in the technique and intention of working the reflex areas. I love a good foot massage just like the next gal, but when I need a treatment I see my Reflexologist. :D
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
User avatar
Dragonflies
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1320
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:17 pm

Re: Book Reviews

Postby GreenDragonfly on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Dragonflies wrote:
GreenDragonfly wrote:I think that to get the most out of any book, it is really helpful to have a 'buddy' to work with and practice with. After taking the class I can see how you get some of the basics from the book, but switching off with someone who is also studying the material really makes it, IMO.

Partnering up is a lot of fun with Ingham's book! My sister and I did it for several years to exchange foot rubs. We thought we were getting quite good actually so I had the biggest laugh when I got to school. I had the thumb walking totally wrong! And most of the reflexes weren't located where I thought they were. Reflexology is so much by feel, "oh, that's the right kidney!!" lol.

Just remember that the difference between a foot massage and a foot Reflexology treatment is in the technique and intention of working the reflex areas. I love a good foot massage just like the next gal, but when I need a treatment I see my Reflexologist. :D


I understand. After taking that reflexology class, I really understood much more and we learned the proper thumb and fingerwalking techniques. I don't think I could have gotten it right just from a book.

We also laughed when we found the reflexes and learned that they aren't always exactly in the same spot for every individual. Fascinating stuff. Can't wait to get back to class with it eventually!! I know I have a lot more to learn and practicing with people in class and under an instructor is really the best because you don't learn the 'wrong' way.

Now I do a little reflexology sample with foot massage. What this is for my clients is a great foot treatment, but like I said, I don't ever tell anyone that I am a reflexologist because I certainly haven't had the same amount of training.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
User avatar
GreenDragonfly
Moderator
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:50 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs


Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest