most common ailment - success stories?

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

most common ailment - success stories?

Postby makingachange on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 pm

what is the most common ailment you see when doing reflexology sessions? do you have any success stories?

thanks
amanda
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:10 pm

I guess the most common ailment I see in my practice is stress/anxiety. In many different forms, but pretty clear to pick up on.

I also see a lot of female issues, ranging from PMS to fibroids to prenatal discomforts. Infertility has been a tough one to crack, it's hard to know if one has had a hand in the process of the client becoming pregnant, but once the client slows down pregnancy usually comes quickly. :D A colleague of mine moved away and one of her clients tracked me down for a session. It was so cool to find out that this client had become pregnant within 24 hours of her reflexology session (from the other reflexologist) after trying for many years. We addressed lactation and irregular menstruations in her sessions with me.

I'd love to hear more reflexology success stories, from a practitioner's viewpoint or a client's. :)
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby JMcColleyLMT on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:42 pm

I would like to know some of the things you didfor the infertility i have a couple of friends that are trying to get pregnant and i would like to help if i can...

~Jennifer McColley LMT
JMcColleyLMT
Registered Member

Postby makingachange on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:22 pm

jumping in here... since reflexology is supposed to help the body balance itself, i would think that working all of the female organs, including the low back and pelvic line would help everything get to proper working order. having dealt with infertility too, i think it's also necessary to be aware of the heart - emotionally - i try to pay attention to these areas because when your heart is heavy, your flow of energy can be compromised. does that make any sense? i can't figure out how to put it into words.

i felt like my heart was so heavy that it was cutting off some kind of flow into the lower part of my body. anyway, don't know if this helps.

good luck
amanda
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

conditions

Postby Qiwalker on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:11 pm

I have had good success with treating back pain, sciatica and constipation. In additon to the stress/anxiety relief, of course.
Qiwalker
Fresh Hands

Postby lunabelle on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:46 am

The most common ailment I see is definitely fibromyalgia. It seems these people are desperately looking for someone who can help them and are willing to try anything. I've obviously never "cured" someone and don't claim to try but I can't wait until I've had a fibro client for several years so we can look back at the progress.

My most successful cases are people with sleep problems/high blood pressure. These seem to be "quick(er) fixes"
People tend to sleep like logs the night immediately following a treatment which is a good reason for them to come back regularily.. Getting a good nights sleep lowers blood pressure.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
lunabelle
Registered Member

Re: most common ailment - success stories?

Postby pueppi on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:39 am

Dragonflies wrote:II'd love to hear more reflexology success stories, from a practitioner's viewpoint or a client's. :)

Client Success Story:

So, here's my success story that actually got me interested in Reflexology in the first place.

Go back to 2003. I was under an immense amount of stress and while in Europe my neck went out. Now when I say "went out", I mean seriously "went out".

I have some severe injuries from a accident when I was younger and about every 3 years my neck "goes out" and I can't move. I can't lift my head from a pillow without moving exquisitely slow, turning, sliding and eventually making it with my knees on the floor --- all while holding my head in one position... next, trying to stand (usually via walking my body up a wall to gain vertical lift :smt010 ). This sentence doesn't even do the pain, stillness or slowness justice. I can't rotate, flex, extend or even laterally flex the neck without pain -- and then it is only about 5 degrees in any ROM at best.

I have a traction unit at home, so sometimes I can maneuver into that, and sometimes I cannot. If I can, it will take up to 4 hours of traction, traction and more traction, to get even the slightest bit of relief.

If I can get a friend(DC) or husband(MT) to help, I am still lucky to only begin moving decently after three days. Generally, I will go through a lot of pain to regain that ROM and am probably a bit more aggresive about it than the normal individual. :) I believe I have an uncinate process issue and am sorely against surgery. :undecided:

So, that's my background... and while overseas, this happens to me!

We got a massage scheduled for the next day at the "Swiss Hotel" (who I'd like to give a plug to, since their therapist was kind enough to see me, even though I wasn't a guest, and she came in on Sunday).

To my dismay (at the time) the only therapist there was a Reflexologist. Knowing what I know about my neck and what works, I was deeply disappointed.

However, she did her thing (a lot of work with my big toes / hallux) and after the session I was about 30% better. Amazing for me! So, I got a second appointment and made it to about 55% better. It was a life-saver.

Now, 6 years later, with a little extra time on my hands coming up in a year or so, I would like to try and persue my Reflexology Certification. My first step is reading through all of the Reflexology Sections, since I've never had the time/opportunity in the past.

Wheeeeee... here I go! :smt006
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby bschrag on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 pm

And since I am now in your Reflexology class .... I'd say you've succeeded!!

And folks - She's great at it.
bschrag
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 am

bschrag wrote:And since I am now in your Reflexology class .... I'd say you've succeeded!!

And folks - She's great at it.

Oh, bschrag is really being nice here.

If we want to talk about someone who's great at it... I return the compliment and fully think that although Reflexology is not my "gift", it is hers. I feel thankful to be in a course with someone who is passionate about the work. It gives me something to piggy-back on as I learn.

I am so thankful to have met a friend in the course and welcome you to BWOL.

Everyone, please make her feel at home! WELCOME to the forums... I look forward to your posts throughout this journey. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics