Display advertising DIDN'T work for me (X posted)

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Display advertising DIDN'T work for me (X posted)

Postby lunabelle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:57 pm

I'm a little frustrated but I'll consider this a learning experience.

I put a small display ad in my local newspaper for 3 days over the course of two weeks. I thought I did everything right in the ad. It costs me about $65 per day or $45 if I print 7 more ads over the course of the year. I didn't even notice increased hits to my website.

I made the headline the benefit and used risk reversal advertising. Two tips I learned from the free newsletters I get from two of those massage marketing sites.. I don't remember which ones specifically. I was kind of thinking about even buying one of their marketing programs if it worked.. but I'm dissapointed. I'm beginning to think that we really can't control how quickly people come to us. Everyone has found me via my website or by word of mouth. I am almost willing to just let those things work for me and give up on giving away free mini sessions or sending out mailouts etc.

Here is what my ad said:
(The ad builder threw in a little sleepy sheep graphic too.)

Sleep Well Tonight

Have a reflexology session today
and sleep well tonight GUARANTEED

If your sleep is not improved after
your reflexology session,
your session is FREE.

My name here
Certified Reflexologist
phone number
website
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
lunabelle
Registered Member

Postby marilyn on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:15 am

Sorry to hear your ad didn't work and it was expensive too. I just started my business the 21st of August. I also decided that I would not advertize and just use word of mouth. My office is in a building with a chiropractor and I know many of his patients since I have grown up in this community and people know my name. I have handed out my business cards to lots of folks that we do business with and everyone I know..plus our church. I had 6 clients the first week, one last week and two scheduled for this coming week. I am willing to let it grow slow because we do have other income and my rent is only $150 a month. I decided to do business in a small town that knew my name, I think it will work better than a larger town that I had at first considered because no one knows me there.

Hope your business picks up, my situation is probably very different and I am the only reflexologist in town.
marilyn
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:24 am

Sorry to hear about your ad lunabelle. I've not had luck with print ads either. The website and word of mouth has been the two driving forces in getting new clients in the door. Returning clients respond well to email and regular mail campaigns.

An acupuncturist I know used the following trick... he would take one of his own business cards and write on the back "Sue, this was that acupuncturist I was telling you about" or a similar message. Then he'd "drop" the card in an ATM booth, at the post office, or other public places. Sure enough he told me that people would pick up his card and call for an appointment. They assumed that someone somewhere was pleased enough with his work to tell a friend about it, they might as well give him a try too. :lol: Might nudge that word-of-mouth process to kick in a little.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby UCR on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:05 pm

Great Post!

I love the business card - great advertising is truly outside the box thinking. Be unique and stand out from the crowd!

Marilyn, way to go - networking is the key and the essence of word-of-mouth. Church groups, knitting circles, women's business breakfasts, etc. are wonderful networking opportunities. The fact that you have associated with an existing clinic is also an outstanding way to show that you mean business.

Print ads tend to be challenging for Reflexologists. A plan is needed. It's important to target your market to a specific group - call them your ideal clients. Then find a media source directed to this group - newsletters, trade magazines, community papers, etc. Then buy a season or more of advertising space - write and re-write your ad until it's perfect and run it consecutively throughout the season. Too often advertisers pull their ads too early thinking it's unsuccessful. People need to see an ad 5-6-7 or more times before they are inclined to respond.

Great topic

Jack
UCR
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:10 pm

Any updates on your newspaper ad campaigns lunabelle? Have you continued running the ads or have you moved on to another venue for your advertising dollars?
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby lunabelle on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:15 pm

I actually had one new client call because of that ad nearly a month after I ran it. He found the old newspaper in the lobby of his apartment building. I'm not really sure how that happened to tell you the truth. He has rebooked so the ad has almost paid for itself.

I have not been doing anything lately to promote. I have decided to sit back and let things happen. I am learning that the more I try to control my business the less it grows on it's own.. if that makes sense.

I just wrote a press release about chronic pain and emailed it to our community newspaper. They have printed a release for me in the past but this one is very targeted and I feel good about it. I hope it prints.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
lunabelle
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:39 pm

lunabelle wrote:I just wrote a press release about chronic pain and emailed it to our community newspaper. They have printed a release for me in the past but this one is very targeted and I feel good about it. I hope it prints.

This is an intriguing idea to me! I've read that it should be done, but don't know how to present it. What did you do? Who do you contact, and how does this work? I take it that it isn't an ad you have to pay for? I write my monthly newsletter and have been told I should send articles to the paper in the form of a PR.......I just don't know how!
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby lunabelle on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:29 am

I just googled how to write a press release or something along those lines and found websites that describe the format to send your article in etc. I have called papers to ask who I can email the press release too and I have found email addresses on the newspapers websites etc.

It is free and I have had one printed so far but obviously it is up to the newspaper to decide if it will be printed or not. They printed mine exactly as I typed it so be very careful of all of your grammar etc. to save the editor or whoever work in rewriting because they might not bother.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
lunabelle
Registered Member

Re:

Postby pueppi on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:50 am

lunabelle wrote:I just googled how to write a press release or something along those lines and found websites that describe the format to send your article in etc.

lunabelle, would you mind providing an example of your press release if you still have it? I'd be interested to see how it read.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics