Massage Table or Reclining Chair?

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Do you treat your reflexology clients on a....

massage table
33%
recliner
22%
La Fuma chair
33%
other
11%

Total votes : 18

Massage Table or Reclining Chair?

Postby Dee on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Hello,

My name is Dee and I have almost completed the practicum portion of my reflexology training. After that, I have my practical exam to do and then I will be certified and merrily on my way!

I am in the process of planning my office. One of my biggest decisions is whether to purchase a massage table or a reclining chair to use with clients. My own preference is a massage table, as I think clients would relax more deeply (and chatter less!) laying on a massage table during a session than they have sitting in the LaFuma chair I currently use. However, I wonder if this would work with very overweight clients - would it not be uncomfortable for them? (i.e., would the table be broad enough for them to comfortably relax their arms?)

If I use a reclining chair, at least I can be assured that clients of every size and shape will be able to comfortably relax during a session. The office would adopt more of a "spa" feel versus a "clinical/healthcare" feel, which is another consideration (and I'm still not sure which image I wish to present).

I'm interested in hearing from others re: their experiences. Do you use a massage table or reclining chair? Which do you prefer, and why? What kind of feedback have you received from clients?

Thanks,
Dee
Dee
Fresh Hands

Postby Pandoras_Gift on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:09 pm

It also depends upon what your main purpose is. I am a MT trained in Reflexology, so I have a table, and it is dual purpose. If you were trained in Reflexology only, figure that is what you will practice, and have experience using the chair, then get the chair. It also depends upon cost, a decent table will cost you a lot more than the chair, and don't waste your money on a cheep table.
love as always,
Muriel
Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:44 am

Hi Dee! Welcome to BWOL! I'm always excited to see new members participating in the reflexology sections. Congrats on choosing reflexology, you're going to love practicing. :D

Now on to your poll...

I've found a zero gravity recliner has been the best multi-purpose tool for my practice. It can hold 300 pounds (we've met that and gone over many times in seven years), is much more durable than the LaFuma, and gets the clients feet at the perfect height (chest height) for the practitioner. Another plus is indulging prenatal clients to recline on their back without tilting the chair fully so as to avoid impeding circulation for mother and baby. While I've given reflexology to an expectant client on a table I found I needed a half-dozen pillows to prop up her back, knees and hips so she could be in a semi-reclined position (reflexology done while the client is side-lying was terrible on my body mechanics and hands).

I've only ever had two clients, in three years, that disliked the chair - the first didn't like his feet elevated so much, the second found it was easier to fall asleep(!!!) on a table.

So my vote is for a back savers brand zero gravity chair in the largest size you can afford ($900-1,500).

Good luck with the rest of your practicum and your upcoming exam! Keep us posted.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby MarionFM on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:12 pm

I used to use a massage table for reflexology, but started using a zero gravity recliner a year or two ago and I find it is much better. I do find that most clients need a small pillow in the small of their back, but other than that, it is great. And much better body mechanics for the therapist.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, most of the larger stores like WalMart have cheap versions of the zero gravity recliners that work well and it is not a big investment if you decide you prefer the table.

I don't find it quite as convenient for hand reflexology, but then I haven't found a truly comfortable way to do hand reflexology anyway!

(I have used my massage chair, but not everyone likes to sit with their face in the face cradle for that long. It is certainly the most convenient for ME as practitioner!)
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Rose of Sharon on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Just a thought.....from someone who doesn't do reflexology , but have you ever tried your massage chair for hand reflexology? I've had a client with arthritis in her hands who wanted just work on her hands. I used my chair rather than my table, and we were both quite comfortable.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby fudja / aka Greatlakes on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:10 am

What about a massage table that lifts up so clients can recline?

My table does this, but I dont use it alot. I most frequently use it for pregnant clients, clients who cant lay flat, and with clients who come in for foot massage. Sometimes foot massage clients want to recline and sometimes they want to lay flat.
fudja / aka Greatlakes
Registered Member

Postby Dee on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Does "zero gravity" refer to the type of recliner, or is it the brand name of a recliner?

Also, I have noticed that clients are FAR more inclined the start chatting (sometimes chattering!) when sitting in a recliner as opposed to lying on a massage table. Have others experienced this as well?! How do you address this? I usually ask clients to focus on their breath - sometimes that does the trick, and other times, they take a deep breath, pause for a minute, and then keep right on talking *L*

Dee
Dee
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:42 am

Dee wrote:Does "zero gravity" refer to the type of recliner, or is it the brand name of a recliner?

It refers to the type of recliner - the part where the person's back rests against the chair is in a complete horizontal position (like lying in bed or on a massage table), while the knees are supported at an angle that puts the feet a good 16 inches above the rest of the body. Sounds like an awkward position but it is often recommended for people with spinal conditions - my clients with herniated discs cannot lay on a massage table but would love to rent time in my zero gravity chair. :lol:

Dee wrote:Also, I have noticed that clients are FAR more inclined the start chatting (sometimes chattering!) when sitting in a recliner as opposed to lying on a massage table. Have others experienced this as well?! How do you address this? I usually ask clients to focus on their breath - sometimes that does the trick, and other times, they take a deep breath, pause for a minute, and then keep right on talking *L*

Dee

This is not a problem with the zero gravity chair since the client has to lift his/her head to look you in the eye (just like if they were on a table).

I tell clients that this is their 60 minutes and I am happy to be silent for them to relax and only talk when spoken to, or that if they would prefer to talk about their day or share how their week has gone I am happy to listen. I have clients that do both and I figure they are getting whatever they need out of the session as an individual.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 am

GrateLakes wrote:What about a massage table that lifts up so clients can recline?

My table does this, but I dont use it alot. I most frequently use it for pregnant clients, clients who cant lay flat, and with clients who come in for foot massage. Sometimes foot massage clients want to recline and sometimes they want to lay flat.

That sounds like a great table! Who's brand and model do you use GrateLakes?
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue May 29, 2007 7:43 pm

What did you end up deciding on Dee?
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby fudja / aka Greatlakes on Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi Dragonflies,

I didnt see your post until now. My table is an oakworks alliance.

PS I have recently been thinking of adding reflexology to my menu. Thanks for all the links and info! In my practice, I have a fair amount of people calling to ask if I do reflexology. I think my area and clients would really go for it. There is a weekend seminar coming to my state in August.
fudja / aka Greatlakes
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Wed May 30, 2007 4:57 am

GrateLakes wrote:Hi Dragonflies,

I didnt see your post until now. My table is an oakworks alliance.

Thanks. :)

GrateLakes wrote:PS I have recently been thinking of adding reflexology to my menu. Thanks for all the links and info! In my practice, I have a fair amount of people calling to ask if I do reflexology. I think my area and clients would really go for it. There is a weekend seminar coming to my state in August.

A weekend workshop would be a great introduction to this type of bodywork! Its just enough to let you "try it on" before taking a full course in it. Best of luck! Please keep us posted on how it goes for you.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Massage table

Postby weh9800 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I have never been a fan of the la fuma chair. The leg bends at the knee and I cannot put as much pressure in. La fuma chairs are easier to tote around, but the massage table clearly is better.
weh9800
Fresh Hands

Postby MarionFM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:42 pm

I had reflexology done in a Lu fuma chair this week - I could not believe how long since I had had reflexology done. I did not find the chair much more or less comfortable than my cheaper zero gravity chair. It was a trade and when I worked on the other practitioner, I found the material a bit saggy.

I think that the massage table is hard on many people's backs, lying still for almost an hour, and the recliner is easier on the practitioner too.

As to depth of pressure, I also do JB MFR and now use less pressure in reflexology too. I find results are just as good and often better. The other practitioner used so much pressure on my feet that it hurt, and she did not believe in lightening the pressure. I had to grit my teeth at some reflexes. The results, on the bunion especially, were good but intense at the time!
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:12 am

MarionFM wrote:I think that the massage table is hard on many people's backs, lying still for almost an hour, and the recliner is easier on the practitioner too.

From the receiving/client perspective I dislike Reflexology on a massage table. My sciatica often kicks in and I get spotty numbness and tingling in my legs and feet when on a massage table receiving Reflexology. This does not happen when I am in my zero gravity chair (I occasionally trade sessions in my space with another Reflexologist).

I too dislike the La Fuma (and their knock-offs), for both giving and receiving Reflexology. It was all we used at school but I lucked out when I found Back Saver's zero gravity recliners after graduating.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Re:

Postby pueppi on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 am

Dragonflies wrote:So my vote is for a back savers brand zero gravity chair in the largest size you can afford ($900-1,500).

Just updating a link to Backsaver brand chairs; I can't open the one you provided. Here's another place you can purchase them at and see examples: http://www.downunderchicago.com/backsav ... -zone.html
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Massage Table or Reclining Chair?

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:35 pm

My training was done on a massage table, so that is what I have alwaysed used
JLWmassage

Re: Re:

Postby Timedess on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:21 am

pueppi wrote:
Dragonflies wrote:So my vote is for a back savers brand zero gravity chair in the largest size you can afford ($900-1,500).

Just updating a link to Backsaver brand chairs; I can't open the one you provided. Here's another place you can purchase them at and see examples: http://www.downunderchicago.com/backsav ... -zone.html

This is now a broken link, as well. :(
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 am

BackSavers updated link: http://www.backsaver.com/
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 am

pueppi wrote:BackSavers updated link: http://www.backsaver.com/

They're completely out of business was the word I got two weeks ago. Great product, great customer service. Truly sorry to see them go under. I guess Human Touch and Relax the Back are the other two options for this type of chair in the U.S. Or try Craigslist for a used one in your area!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics