Help! - Derwen Reflexology Academy / ITEC?

Topics may include, but not limited to: schools, CEU's, legislation and politics.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Help! - Derwen Reflexology Academy / ITEC?

Postby pueppi on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:15 pm

I don't know what to look for in a good reflexology program and am just beginning to go through our Reflexology Forums, so forgive me for not having a better knowledge base prior to this post.

Anyone with any input or opinions on the following school and/or it's curriculum, is much appreciated!

PS: Is an "ITEC certified reflexologist" to be compared to anything else anyone knows about? Pros, cons, etc?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Help! - Derwen Reflexology Academy / ITEC?

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:54 am

This program sounds pretty solid peuppi. ITEC is a certification standard that is more common in the UK than it is here. Last I checked Europe had a 350 hour standard of education for Reflexology practitioners so you're probably looking at a school that will offer you more than the 110-200 hours that is the standard here in the States. I'm not sure though because they don't list their training hours on the site. I would recommend getting a breakdown of their hours to compare with other programs or schools so you can see what is the best fit for your education goals and needs. The American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB) has the following guidelines (from page 2 of 2009 brochure) for a 110 class room hour and 90 clinical hour program:
- 25 hours theories and history
- 40 hours studying reflex maps, mirrored body systems, sensory identification, etc...
- 30 hours A&P
- 5 hours business, ethics, standards, laws
- 10 hours supervised clinical work (in the classroom)
- and any extra home study, case reports, etc...

I would also encourage you to get in contact with the brand new Texas Reflexology Association. Have a chat with Sue there in Cypress, she's a total dear and I'm sure she'd be happy to be your local contact for all things Reflexology. :) Tell her I sent you, we had some good laughs at the annual conference a year and a half ago.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks Dragonflies! I'll certainly call your friend at the TRA and pass on a happy "hello". Thanks a ton for that link! Didn't even know there was an Association!

If you'd be so kind as to answer one more question... I still haven't scoured your sections like I ought to yet... :smt009

How many hours really makes for a good basic Reflexologist? I know some of it is how you study, how you pick up, natural talent and the like... but what do you think is a good minimum? I read in another of your posts, that many Reflexologists believe the 200 hours don't quite cut it. And, at what point do you really start to feel like you are advancing? Past 350? Just guessing, because I really don't know. I am thinking of taking the course work next year sometime and I'd like to plan out a strategy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:36 pm

According to their certification info I recieved the other day, it ends up being a 250 hour program. Is that enough to get me certified in the US by the organizations other than and in addition to ITEC?

Looking forward to your replies. :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 am

pueppi wrote:Thanks Dragonflies! I'll certainly call your friend at the TRA and pass on a happy "hello". Thanks a ton for that link! Didn't even know there was an Association!

Well don't feel bad, they just launched after trying to form for a few years now. :)

pueppi wrote:If you'd be so kind as to answer one more question... I still haven't scoured your sections like I ought to yet... :smt009

How many hours really makes for a good basic Reflexologist? I know some of it is how you study, how you pick up, natural talent and the like... but what do you think is a good minimum? I read in another of your posts, that many Reflexologists believe the 200 hours don't quite cut it. And, at what point do you really start to feel like you are advancing? Past 350? Just guessing, because I really don't know. I am thinking of taking the course work next year sometime and I'd like to plan out a strategy.

110 hours of classroom training plus 90 clinical hours does pale in comparison to other bodywork modalities. If you add the standard 100 hours of A&P, like some schools are requiring as a prereq, the 300 hours seems more of a solid course. Our standards are quite laughable compared to South Africa's two-year diploma course...so yes, some of us feel like the 200 hours is very small.

As for how you would feel in terms of an advanced practitioner...that's very subjective. Someone coined the term "Master Reflexologist" and refers to that as someone with 500 hours of formal education or higher. Of course I have issues with the "master" aspect because how on earth could you "master" a modality with roots in every ancient culture on this planet in just 500 hours? But I also struggle with the "Reiki Master" concept of someone attending weekend workshops for a few weekends and earning this title. Master used to be someone who had been practicing something for a zillion years. It wasn't a title he gave himself but one that the community bestowed on him. But I digress...I think the 200 hour ballpark gives you a good start and then you can pick up additional CEs as you go along based on your niche and styles that interest you.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:40 am

pueppi wrote:According to their certification info I recieved the other day, it ends up being a 250 hour program. Is that enough to get me certified in the US by the organizations other than and in addition to ITEC?

Looking forward to your replies. :)

Yep. ARCB will take a minimum of 110 classroom hours so the 250 will put you head and shoulders above other basic-entry practitioners starting out. :)
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Just adding a few cross-thread heres, as they was of some more help to me and may be to others reading here in the future:

pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:23 pm

I followed up with the Derwen School's founder, Patricia, and received the following condensed information through a series of e-mails. Also, I am adding some quoted material that she stated would be fine for me to pass along on the forums.

• The coursework = 250 hours plus 10 hours of exams.
  • Final total = 260 hours.

"The course is a complete course incorporating Holistic thinking. Everyone that has completed the course here is an excellent reflexologist. I would be very surprised if you would not be able to pass the ARCB exam after completing the course and passing the ITEC exams.

We also run Post-graduate seminars with protocols for a number of conditions e.g. gall stones, kidney stones, fibromyalgia etc.

The clinical Aromatherapy course gives 200 hours in addition to the other Seminars I run here."
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:13 am

Well, it takes me a while, but eventually I get there. Yes, I've gone and done it. I have signed up for the class. So, I am diving in and it will be very interesting to see where this will take me.

It comes at a strange & very busy time, as I am seeing about 20+ hours of massage work each week, while limiting my chiropractic work to about 15% of my practice. I'm also raising my rates at the beginning of the year... so, I admit I am a little nervous with all of the changes.

However, my husband will be in a very heavy semester load (completing a degree at age 49!) of 18 hours for his second semester of his Junior year, double majoring in History & Political Science. So, it makes sense to do it now, when we won't be seeing each other much for the next 4-5 months anyway - unless he has a client or two at the office or we are on the same time schedule for the week.

For me, bodywork consists of multiple components, and I think reflexology will be a benefit for some of my more fragile clients. Of course, I know it is beneficial for everyone, but I am not sure how many of my regular clientele will be interested.

More specifically, I am looking to gain this knowledge for my parents as they get older, in case there comes a time I am unable to work on them in the other ways I have been trained.

This is a big step for me, and I am not sure how it will all pan out. :smt107

The class begins mid-Jan. and will end sometime in June/July 2012.

I'll post more here, as I go through the class, so that others looking into this school will have some ideas for what to expect. :)

PS: Dragonflies, I am so appreciative of what you bring to the BWOL forums. You have been a real help and inspiration.
:mrgreen:
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:49 pm

wow sounds like there will be a lot on your plate :shocked: but i am sure you will have a fun time and i can't wait to hear about your training :smt007
JLWmassage

Postby Dragonflies on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:03 am

pueppi wrote:Well, it takes me a while, but eventually I get there. Yes, I've gone and done it. I have signed up for the class. So, I am diving in and it will be very interesting to see where this will take me.

How exciting pueppi! Congratulations on taking the leap! Can't wait to hear your updates too. :D

pueppi wrote:PS: Dragonflies, I am so appreciative of what you bring to the BWOL forums. You have been a real help and inspiration. :mrgreen:

The feeling is mutual my friend! It's been a pleasure finding and offering support over the years. Glad to be here in various capacities depending on how busy life is at the moment.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Step One complete.

I drove over to the school today and paid my $1,500 reflexology course fee. I found a hotel in the area which will be useful if I don't want to drive between class days.

The school is very convenient (within 20 -30 mins./maybe less) to Bush Intercontinental Airport, (Texas) for anyone looking to travel for the course.

The school is exceptionally clean and uncluttered. I was pleasantly surprised. In the past the massage schools I have taught in (4) have been cluttered and nothing of the caliber of the way this school is kept. The owners are Welsh. They also teach aromatherapy courses (for 50 oils) and the school had a wonderful aroma that didn't affect my migraine status at all. :)

Dress Requirements = Black t-shirt and black pants. They provide a "smock" in your size.

Class starts in a few weeks. I'll be back with updates as we go.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 am

Class Weekends 1 & 2:

I got a migraine headache on day 1 of Class Weekend 1 and was able to abate it with meds. I continue to find that my eyes tend to swell quite some during classes and I am assuming it is all of the aromas in the school. However, it is not stopping me. My body systems are also notably quite fragile at the moment, so this could be an additional influence. So, I am getting my standard professional weekly reflexology sessions at the moment as well. I hope to maximize the reflexology sessions with my therapist by having the classroom sampling sessions as supplemental in nature. :)

This course is a lot of work. And, I will be the first to say, if you don't have an anatomy background you are going to find yourself struggling. The anatomy portion of the work is generally presented but the student is pretty much expected to teach themselves the info. I do believe if the course was a full year instead of the half year, and the anatomy was taught up front in more detail... the students who don't have the background would be better off in the long run.

That is not to say that it can't be done. I've been in a study group with a flight attendant who is in her early 60's and she passed her first exams just fine. But, she said she studied for most of the month prior to the exams (where I put in about 5 hours). The exams we're mainly fill in the blank, labeling and listing, which can be daunting to a new student. Even me!

So, it is my suggestion that anyone embarking on this coursework who doesn't know basic anatomy, to learn things like orientation and anatomical language. Knowing some of the layout of the body, and what anatomical position is, would be helpful, along with understanding how the different systems work. I don't have the book, but something like "Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple" & "Illustrated Physiology" (which I do have and it *is* excellent) or this site may help you. The following is a very simplistic example:

• lateral
  • medial
  • infereior
  • superior

In Texas, one does not have to have any sort of background to start into Reflexology school, nor do Reflexologists fall under any of the massage therapy boards. So, there are people from every walk of life, learning this new subject. We have 10-12 students in our class, ranging from someone in her early 20's to someone in their 60's. There are health care professionals, an electrician, a database programmer, a quality control person, etc..

The Reflexology course-work is excellent. I am learning all sorts of things and finding that the sessions can be very powerful. Something, that as a massage therapist, I would have never thought. I always knew Reflexology was much more than a glorified foot massage, but I didn't realize just how powerful of a modality it was. I am hooked. But, I am also not sure I will use it in my practice. It takes a LOT out of me. I would either have to charge more than my given cost per session at this point or only offer it "By Special Request". I am hoping that is just because it is new, and that as I go along the energy drain will become less.

After weekend 1, I would have quit, had I not been so bent on completing the course. There was a lot of posturing going on, and personally, I felt very uncomfortable with the way people in the class were addressed. Although certain items of interest and points have to be made concerning the way the class is run, etc... it was a bit unbridled in inflection and tone. However, others may have thought it to be just fine. It is my opinion that when working with adults in a classroom situation, that questions which are asked should be answered promptly, thoughtfully and without extra clutter, so that the newbie can get a handle on the item first. Extensive follow-up can... follow. I learn better when I have a syllabus outlining things like test structure, the weight of grading, what to expect, how much of a grade is given to appearance, etc. So, I was expecting something like that.

I was told prior to starting the class that it would be a "life changing experience for me" and I was very excited. I walked into class in my "required" black t-shirt (of the working variety... and oversized), not knowing people would be wearing actual street clothes. I had on a pair of scrub bottoms (note: without the scrub top which would have looked better, because I was *told* to have the black t-shirt). I was "looked" at by my instructor... and not in a good way. But "at least I was dressed".

Looking back, maybe I should have assumed that most people weren't coming to work comfortably, as I was. But, had I just been made aware that the quality of dress was to be in street clothes fashion, dressed nicely... then, of course I wouldn't have had white tennis shoes with black scrub bottoms. Afterall, I don't wear white shoes with black street clothes. That would have kept me from being singled out and made to feel "unprofesional". My excitement of a "life changing experience" turned into "Oh, yeah... it's gonna be a life changing experience alright. (feel free to insert the inflections where you know they go)".

So, if you go... I suggest you *do not* quit after the first week-end, as you really will learn a lot. I definitely feel like this work is profound. And, I want to learn profound work... no matter if I have to become a little more flexible.

Over the course of the first month following the Weekend 1 class, I started on my case studies. Be prepared that if you have a full bodywork practice, something is going to have to give. And, in my case it has been working longer hours to get the case studies in, along with my regular clientele. Because I want to practice the information as we go, I have chosen to spread the case studies out over a series of months. However, it may have been best to knock all of them out on my days off, seeing 5 people per day for two days --- for 1 month. Then I would have completed my case studies and lessened the *amount* of time I am going to be tired. I guess it depends on how you want to structure it. Just don't let it go too long.

I am taking pictures of my case studies feet, for their "ID". It seems to be workng well. Keep in mind, that ITEC is very detailed regarding case studies and each takes much more time that you would expect to properly write up. I am definitely looking forward to getting them completed in the next 5-6 weeks, if not sooner.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 am

Class Weekends 3 & 4:

The course work continues to be challenging. That is a nice way of saying it is a LOT of work.

It seems that our class has taken all the way to the fourth month to actually semi-bond (and only... semi) with one another. In speaking with the lead instructor, this is not common with the groups that she teaches. This lack of bonding has definitely contributed to my stress around the course. I have tried to send e-mails to get people involved; to give handy-dandy info or whatever other stuff I have come across in my new adventure. I get very few responses from anyone, and the occasional and rare thank-you. I got so frustrated with this after my last e-mail, that I have since decided to put useful information on my blog instead. I haven't added much, but, I feel better about sharing with those who may be interested (via the blog) instead of e-mailing bits and pieces to people who don't respond. :lipsaresealed:

I completed the 8 weekly professional reflexology sessions I mentioned in the prior post, which seems to have really helped my system to get balanced.

I highly suggest anyone reading this who is planning on or is attending the school, that you plan to get your case studies finished by the 4th class. Otherwise, you will find yourself in a postion where you are trying:

• ...to finish the case studies (including ALL of the typing that goes with those)
  • ...studying for the 5th class Dewen Exams (there are exams at the beginning of each week-end class)
  • ...beginning to studying for the the Derwen Written & Practical Exams (a portion of Class 6)
  • ...beginning to study for the ITEC Certification Written and Practical Exams (~2 weeks after the Derwen Finals, when the examiner flys over from the UK to give the exam).

And, yes, you should begin studying 2 months in advance for the ITEC exams, if you have one or a combination of the following: are not really familiar with the anatomy or UK Business Practices (there is information expected on the ITEC that may not have been covered precisely in class, since the ITEC exam is European in origin), if you have difficulty getting study time in and/or if you have a full time job. Because, as we all know... life happens!

A word about the case studies. They are required for both the Dewen school and the ITEC Certification. If you do them right, you will learn a lot. But, be aware that it is a lot of documenting and it must be elaborated on in a specific sequence. There is a Word document format that you will be given and need to follow. Here is a simple list of how we have been required to put the studies together.

• Binder labeled "Case Studies"
    • Consent Form signed by each client agreeing to be a "Case Study".
    • Consent Form signed by parent/guardian if "Case Study" is a minor.
    • Consent Form signed by "Case Study" if there are any medical contraindications or letter from doctor, as necessary.
    • Consultation, Initial & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
    • Follow-up 1 (that's the clients second visit) & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
    • Follow-up 2 (that's the clients third visit) & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
    • Follow-up 3 (that's the clients fourth visit) & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
    • Overall Conclusion - this is not an ITEC provided document, but a plain sheet; for 10 cases
    • Case Studies should be typed or handwritten (but only if "extremely neat").
    • Case Studies should be seperated by dividers.

Additionally,
  • I took a picture of each Case Study's feet and put it at the beginning of their section.
  • I placed all of my documents in page protectors.

Be prepared that if you have a full bodywork practice, something is going to have to give. And, in my case it has been working longer hours to get the case studies in, along with my regular clientele. Because I want to practice the information as we go, I have chosen to spread the case studies out over a series of months. However, it may have been best to knock all of them out on my days off, seeing 5 people per day for two days --- for 1 month. Then I would have completed my case studies and lessened the *amount* of time I am going to be tired. I guess it depends on how you want to structure it. Just don't let it go too long.

Looking back on this, the fact is, you need your case studies, but there is no requirement as to which body systems you work with (but you should be working with the systems you have learned to date). The only way to limit the paperwork in the case studies, is to do all of the case studies within the first two classes, when you have only learned 2-4 body systems.

It is just my opinion, but as a full time massage therapist, if you can accomplish this feat, then it will give you more time to spend on personal case studies, instead of being bogged down for months in the ITEC documentation. Additionally, that would give you the benefit of practicing in a way that brings the work to a place where it can be more complimentary to your learning experience and subsequently decrease extra energetic output over a longer period of time (which, at least for me, was more detrimental to my rest cycles than it would have been, had I just sucked it up and done it all in 5-6 weeks, instead of 8-10 weeks). However, your experience may be completely different.

Another item to mention is requirements for keeping Derwen Exams (in case someone is just looking for information for class req's in the future): Personal exams (class tests) are kept in a binder throughout the course, seperated with dividers for each segment, and with a log sheet of each sections' grades (behind each divider and in front of the exams). There are usually 3-4 exams/tests per week-end class. --- Both the Case Study & Exam/Test binders are to be brought to both the Derwen Final Exams and the ITEC Certification Exams, for the examiners to go through.

Last, a very positive note about the Reflexology. As I said before, the Reflexology work is excellent. What you will get in this class, is a System approach to learning. That means that they have just one system at a time, laid out on a foot chart for you. It makes learning so much easier and keeps you from getting distracted with everything going on with a regular foot chart. Another nice thing, is that the charts are subtle coloring, instead of those glaring-burn-your-eyeballs-out colors of the average foot charts you find online. I highly recommend the Derwen Foot Chart Poster if you are looking for a chart that would be complimentary to your office, instead of distracting.

Each class is broken up into 1 or 2 body systems. Instruction is verbal and visual - with a presentation of the system/s by an instructor, on an instructors feet. When practicing on another student, there is plenty of time given to going through the entire relaxation regimen and then dove-tailing into each specific body system you have learned to date. This forces those who have not been practicing to do the work, and gives the instructors the ability to correct any problems and see where someone may be lagging behind or needs a tweak here and there.

Each hands-on portion of the class is also structured in a way that you will be very prepared to take the ITEC certitication test, because you have been over and over and over the format of how the exam will take place. Proper dress, proper expectations of hair/nails/jewelry, proper room set up, specific client interaction, knowledge of posture and understading of how the equipment in the room works (chair locks, etc.). Nothing regarding the hands-on reflexology exam protocol is left to guess about, as you start off at day one with this protocol and build upon it.

Breaking the class up this way, gives the student time to specifically work on just a few new systems for an entire month (once they go home), and also provides time to figure out the best way to integrate the work into a full session.

I am pleased with the work, and suggest that any bodyworker take the time to learn more about reflexology travel this journey. :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Fri May 11, 2012 6:22 am

A few additional notes about the ITEC Reflexology Case Study binder in case someone cames across this thread and needs the information. I know it would have been really nice to have had this up front, for streamlining purposes.

A word about the case studies. They are required for both the Dewen school and the ITEC Certification. If you do them right, you will learn a lot. But, be aware that it is a lot of documenting and it must be elaborated on in a specific sequence. There is a Word document format that you will be given and need to follow. Here is a simple list of how we have been required to put the studies together.

• Binder labeled "Case Studies"
• Consent Form signed by each client agreeing to be a "Case Study".
• Consent Form signed by parent/guardian if "Case Study" is a minor.
• Consent Form signed by "Case Study" if there are any medical contraindications or letter from doctor, as necessary.
• Consultation, Initial & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
• Follow-up 1 (that's the clients second visit) & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
• Follow-up 2 (that's the clients third visit) & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
• Follow-up 3 (that's the clients fourth visit) & Foot Reading Picture; for 10 cases
• Overall Conclusion - this is not an ITEC provided document, but a plain sheet; for 10 cases
• Case Studies should be typed or handwritten (but only if "extremely neat").
• Case Studies should be seperated by dividers.

Additionally,

•I took a picture of each Case Study's feet and put it at the beginning of their section.
•I placed all of my documents in page protectors.

All ten case studies in plastic page protectors (purchase a box of 100 for a three ring binder) fit perfectly into a Heavy Duty 2" D-Ring binder (meant to hold 500 sheets). Originally, I purchased a 3 or 3½" binder, and it was entirely too large.

Each Case study will take 9-10 plastic sheet protectors if you put the pages back to back as follows:

• Divider for Case Study 1.
    • Picture of Case Study's feet.
    • Consent Form (a.k.a. Case Study Agreement) signed by each client agreeing to be a "Case Study".
    • Consent Form for minor or medical contraindications, if necessary.
    • Consultation, Initial & Foot Reading Picture - (3 plastic page protectors if info is placed front to back) - signed by client and therapist.
    • Follow-up 1 (clients second visit) & Foot Reading Picture - dated by therapist.
    • Follow-up 2 (clients third visit) & Foot Reading Picture - dated by therapist.
    • Follow-up 3 (clients fourth visit) & Foot Reading Picture - dated by therapist.
    • Overall Conclusion - approximately ½ to 1 page in length.

• Divider for Case Study 2.
    • Etc.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Fri May 11, 2012 7:30 am

Wow, they're very thorough with their documentation requirements. That's fantastic! My school didn't require pictures of case study feet but I can see how that might be helpful for the instructor to grade. We used a blank foot chart to denote skin texture changes (callusing, blisters, peeling, cracks, warts), as well as color, temp, and structural changes.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 am

Dragonflies wrote:My school didn't require pictures of case study feet but I can see how that might be helpful for the instructor to grade. We used a blank foot chart to denote skin texture changes (callusing, blisters, peeling, cracks, warts), as well as color, temp, and structural changes.

Our school doesn't actually "require" the photograph, but we have to have some "thing" to deliniate the case... so I chose to photograph the feet for my "overview" page.

For each of the Foot Reading Picture's, we use the blank foot chart as well (and fill it out, of course :lol: ).

I will say that I was decidely bummed at how much I missed when I looked at the photograph of the foot and compared it to my blank foot chart I filled in. :smt017
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:36 am

Class Weekends 5 & 6:

The course work remained challenging during Class 5, as the A&P section was Skeletal and Muscular systems, and much of the information for the week-end, had to be self taught at home, after the week-end. I believe this is because the instructors are not as proficient at this portion of the anatomy and find it challenging to teach in a structured format. So, if you do not have A&P knowledge going into this class, either read up ahead of time, find a tutor or plan to go home and memorize what you need for the following exams. My suggestion is to do a brief overview of both systems (understanding the nomenclature) prior to the week-end.

The reflexology portion of Class 5 mainly covered Business Practices and some Ethics.

I have not continued with my regular reflexology sessions on my own, but this is a personal decision due to other obligations at this time, not because I don't fully appreciate the work.

A word about the hands-on portion of the class. I can re-itterate that taking a class where each and every hands-on portion of the course is set-up as the practical will be given, is a huge benefit. The system approach to learning has been divided into extremely functional in terms of understanding & memorization. This gives you a very solid base to build on. It keeps the new therapist very grounded for the practical portion of the final exams.

Class 6 (Day 1) - Exams for the Skeletal and Muscular Systems and a review of the practical exams. Again, set up in the exact format of how they are to be structured.
Class 6 (Day 2) - Practical exams in the morning (greet client, seat client, perform health history, went through the systems on our own and an examiner came around to ask each candidate questions as to what they were working on and specific reflexology based questions, completed working on the client and provided a treatment summary and after-care instructions for the client) . Comprehensive written exams in the afternoon. We knew at the end of the day how we did on the practical. We will be sent the information on how we did for the written. If we pass both, we are considered Certified Reflexologists and mailed the diploma.

If we don't pass the practical and written school exams, we cannot sit for the ITEC exams.

Next up will be the ITEC exams... in approximately 3 weeks. The examiner will fly over to the US from the UK. One does not have to take these exams to "graduate", but I suggest taking them, since it is provided with the tuition.

My next post will be regarding the ITEC Reflexology exam, in this new thread.
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Education/Legislation