does 100 hrs count???

Topics may include, but not limited to: schools, CEU's, legislation and politics.

Moderator: Dragonflies

does 100 hrs count???

Postby Laura. on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:42 pm

my school offers a course in reflexology. prerequisites are anatomy and physiology and massage therapy. the course is about 100 hours, i think. only about a third of which is actual class time, the rest is home study, clinical, etc. my state does not regulate or offer licensing for reflexology. my school is state accredited, so my certificates "count" as far as massage goes, but is moot in regard to reflexology. the school administrator says the course is complete enough to send me out into the world and offer my clients reflexology sessions.

what is your opinion? if i get a job at a spa or wellness clinic, can i say that i can do reflexology too? if reflexology ends up being something i feel i have a talent for, i do have a long time practitioner willing to mentor me in order to help me hone my skills...

i don't know, i'm afraid of putting myself out there as something i'm not, just because my school says i am. ya know?

Be Well,
Laura
Laura.
Registered Member

Re: does 100 hrs count???

Postby Taoist on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 pm

You can say that you know it and can offer it, but it's iffy on whether you could try to represent yourself as a reflexologist or a reflexology expert.

The reflexologist that teaches at the school I work at only had to take a 60-hour certification course. *shrug*
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby reflexologymentor on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:29 am

Laura,
the national standard for certification education is the hallmark for you to aspire to. Currently that is 200 hours and allows you to sit for an exam with the ARCB, American Reflexology Certification Board, www.arcb.net. However, ACARET, the American Commission for Reflexology Education and Training, www.acaret.org, has very recently raised the national standard to 300 hours for certification to be recognized as having satisfied the national standard. This is all voluntary, not mandatory as reflexology is in general, not a 'licensed' modality. Note: a few states do now have licensing laws in place. First order of business for you is to know what your city/county/state policies are for practicing reflexology.

If someone is aspiring to be a professional reflexologist, the bar to reach for is national standards. It will be a process for schools to begin to implement the new 300 hour standard and currently the ARCB is still testing on the 200 hr. criteria. Please see their site for details. That means if you have 100 hr. of training, you would need to complete up to the 110 hr. required by ARCB (can include home study, etc) and then you apply for application for certification through ARCB, take an exam and you then can be proud to say that you are a Nationally Certified Reflexologist. THEN your continuing education begins for you to advance and enhance your skills ALWAYS ongoing! You may decide on a speciality or niche (which is what I help you discover, as a Mentor to Reflexologists and Business Coach, www.ReflexologyMentor.com, and begin to take your speciality courses. One example and a vital education for all reflexologists is to have as a foundation the science-based knowledge and research that tells you how and why reflexology works. This is typically not so in depth in your basic training, unless the instructor has been trained likewise. Read more about that on Dr. Jesus Manzanares, M.D. reflexology courses, www.ReflexologyMentor.com/Course-Description/

Hope this helps you. Deciding to become a reflexologist is a heart-centered decision, not to be taken lightly. It is a profession that warrants one taking the responsibility to become trained and professional, if you plan to put into service such a gift of touch and knowledge to the public. Just as you would not consider putting out a shingle to be a professional massage therapist or a nutritionist without training, nor would you do so in reflexology without proper training that gives you confidence, skills and knowledge to touch another human being with the intention of enhancing their health and wellbeing. It is a lifetime pursuit to educate yourself in such a rewarding profession and I wish you to the best. Continue to listen to your heart, your passion, your calling - most successful reflexologists began with such a passion as yours and are making a difference in the world - two feet at a time!

You may be interested in my upcoming FREE TeleSeminar, "Creating Your Vision for Your Reflexology Business". It's happening on Nov.2 & 4th. Two 60 minute live classes by phone or internet with me. Read more here www.ReflexologyMentor/CaliforniaDreamin. It could be the spark you need to follow your heart, gain the wisdom to make the right decisions and put yourself out there to help others. The world certainly needs more compassionate, heart-centered healing touch practitioners who know who they are, want to serve and know they can make a difference!
reflexologymentor
Fresh Hands

Postby Taoist on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:44 pm

So the ARCB/ACARET requires 200/300 hours respectively... fascinating. Now I'm interested in finding out if my state regulates reflexology and just what certification our reflexology instructor holds. Hmmm...
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Education/Legislation