Distance learning / no schools local

Topics may include, but not limited to: schools, CEU's, legislation and politics.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Distance learning / no schools local

Postby millielliott on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:25 am

Can someone refer me to a school that offers home study for Reflexology?

I am currently enrolled in a MT program and would like to learn and become certified to do reflexology too.

I live in southern Pennsylvania on the Maryland line and I cannot find any schools in my area.

Thanks!
millielliott
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:26 am

The Eunice Ingham method is taught in weekend workshops across the world, here is their U.S. website with dates of upcoming workshops (one in Maryland in November): http://www.reflexology-usa.net/

I've heard great things about this correspondence school: http://www.universalreflex.com/

Hope this helps!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby txmassage on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:12 pm

Have anyone heard about www.reflexologyinstitute.com ? They have a Minister of Reflexology deploma that sounds great!!! but its like $350 and if it a bogus program and you dont learn anything I dont want to blow that kinda money!!! :shock: the name of the school is the Modern Institute of Reflexology...thanks for the info :D :D :D
Judge not lest ye be judged!! Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!!!
txmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:06 am

txmassage wrote:Have anyone heard about www.reflexologyinstitute.com ? They have a Minister of Reflexology deploma that sounds great!!! but its like $350 and if it a bogus program and you dont learn anything I dont want to blow that kinda money!!! :shock: the name of the school is the Modern Institute of Reflexology...thanks for the info :D :D :D

They do not teach a "hands only" modality and therefore this program is not accepted by the American Reflexology Certification Board or the Reflexology Association of America (and affiliated state associations). Traditional reflexologists believe that the intense over-stimulation of their mechanized tools can do more harm to fragile reflexes than good.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby txmassage on Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:43 am

On the site it talks about how the Reflexology boards have agreed with there school and are know expected its under certification board over to the side. is this not true? :?:
Judge not lest ye be judged!! Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!!!
txmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:50 pm

txmassage wrote:On the site it talks about how the Reflexology boards have agreed with there school and are know expected its under certification board over to the side. is this not true? :?:

ARCB did not agree to certify their students, they found other organizations that will give their students a piece of paper "certifying" them but so far none which have an actual board exam.

It is my understanding that for legal reasons they have stopped using the term "reflexologist" because all descriptions of reflexology are for manual stimulation using the practitioner's fingers and thumbs.

If I went to a massage therapist and they used an electric back massager for the session and I still had to pay as if I had received a "real" massage I would feel cheated. Same with reflexology. I can see the use for an occassional tool (thumb-ez, pencil for self-help reflexology, etc) but would never use a machine on a client.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby txmassage on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Oh I see I dont think they make that to clear!!! I am looking for a online class that has a certification but Texas does not except online or correspondence classes. I want a professional class but I cant afford to relocate to New Mexico for a 6 month class... any ideas? ;)
txmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:22 pm

txmassage wrote:I am looking for a online class that has a certification but Texas does not except online or correspondence classes. I want a professional class but I cant afford to relocate to New Mexico for a 6 month class... any ideas? ;)

I didn't realize New Mexico had a reflexology certification class! Can you post a link or more info?

Have you looked into the International Institute of Reflexology? Their weekend workshops lead to certification and are pretty popular with those students who don't have access to a full certification program nearby. A quick check of their site shows they have dates for February in Houston and April in Arlington. Some people will choose to take a workshop in a city where they have relatives or are planning a vacation if the dates are better for them.

If you look at the ARCB website they list The Crossings in Austin and the Phoenix School of Holistic Health in Houston as schools that provide a reflexology program with a minimum of 100 hours. I looked at both of their sites and didn't find a course listing for reflexology so you may need to contact them directly to get more information.

Let us know if we can be of more help! Good luck in this exciting new venture of yours. :D
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby txmassage on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:33 pm

Sure its the New Mexico college of Natural Healing in Silver City NM the class description says

Reflexology - 20 hours
Students will learn how to access the entire body using specific finger and thumb techniques on the hands, feet and head. Reflexology is based on the belief that certain areas on the feet and hands correspond to different parts of the body. This course includes history, zone theory, contraindications, therapeutic relaxation and self help techniques. Reflexology can be a treatment in itself or used in conjunction with herbal preparations and Aromatherapy.

NEW MEXICO COLLEGE OF NATURAL HEALING
310 West 6th Street
P.O. Box 211
SILVER CITY, NEW MEXICO 8806.
Telephone: 505- 538- 0050

www.newmexicohealing.com I hope this helps!!!
txmassage
Fresh Hands

Re:

Postby pueppi on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Dragonflies wrote:... the Phoenix School of Holistic Health in Houston as schools that provide a reflexology program with a minimum of 100 hours. I looked at both of their sites and didn't find a course listing for reflexology so you may need to contact them directly to get more information.

I just contacted Phoenix School, and my personal opinion is that they have in the past over-billed what they actually do. I've known people who have taken their massage courses, only to be told mid-stream that the dates and times of the classes were going to be changed, or they no longer had a professor for a course (tough luck), etc. They also, have in the past, though I am not sure they still do this practice... called their school by different names in the phone book, in my opinion to be sneaky in order to garner more calls. Personally, that sort of thing just sits wrong with me.

So, as is par for the course, according to the lady on the phone, they do not actually have a full certification reflexology course. They have a week-end seminar (on occasion). Why would one list the school as providing something else, you ask? I did. Well, "because Texas doesn't require any certification to practice reflexology". *rolls my eyes* Yes, that was her reason.

Currently I am looking into the Derwen Therapies Holistic Wellness Ctr & Reflexology Academy in Humble, Texas.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Education/Legislation