Looking for a reflexology class

Topics may include, but not limited to: schools, CEU's, legislation and politics.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Postby barefoot on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi all! I am a CMT living in Cozumel, Mexico. Each summer I travel up to the States to take some kind of class and this year I am strongly drawn to reflexology. I would like to be in the Boston area, as I have family I want to visit there as well.

Anyone know of a class in that area in July or August? Any other areas of the country that might have a short (one week or less) reflexology class?

I have been to the IIR website, but they don't list workshops that far in advance and I need to start planning now!

Thank you for all your help, love this board!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel
barefoot
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:33 am

If I hear of something I'll definately let you know. It's fairly difficult to find reflexology training that isn't 200 hours long spread out over 6 months to a year, or 14 hour weekend CEU workshops. Have you emailed IIR to see if they can give you an idea of what they're offering that far in advance?

If you don't find anything I suggest talking to Laura, the owner, at http://www.universalreflex.com/. I've heard some great things about their distance courses. :D
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby melb on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:09 pm

The International Dermal Institute offer a 2 day reflexology course. It covers the theory a bit, but most of it is hands on training for a relaxing reflexology session. I'd had done a 6 day course over 3 weekends when I did my massage treaining, which obviously covered more, but not that much more than IDI did in 2 days. I did the IDI course too as it was required module for the spa certification I did with them. It gives you a good basic routine. It's not enough of a course to say "I offer full reflexology treatments", but it is enough to incorporate reflexology techniques in another treatment, plus it would give you an idea if you want to investigate it further - I know I find it a bit too much strain on my thumb and I have to keep my thumb nail so short it's not comfortable, but I do some of it, and it's let me be confident working the feet with hot stones.

IDI courses are primarily directed at beauty therapists (it's post-graduate beauty therapist education) but they will let bodyworkers do most of their body, wellness and alternative therapies courses.

From their web site:
Reflexology
Hands-on 10 AM to 5 PM (2 Day Class)
Fee: $200 Deposit Required
Reflexology is one of the most dramatic relaxation tools available, and the perfect addition to any skin care treatment. We’ll share the ancient theories, as well as how to link body zones to the feet. Offer a whole reflexology service, or add it into a skin care treatment.
Whatever you do, this is a sure-fire client favorite.
> Explore the background and theory of reflexology
> Locate the reflex points on the feet, and correlate them to points on the body
> Develop a complete massage treatment
> Incorporate reflexology into your existing skin care treatments

They have the dates up to June available on the web site and it looks like Reflexology is not running in Boston at that time. I'm not sure if you'd consider a couple of days elsewhere, and where elsewhere might suit you, but they have LOTS of locations, including Miami where you might be able to pop over to? Reflexology is running the last 2 days of May in Atlanta, end of June in Vancouver...... I haven't checked every location, so there may be others, and it might be somewhere you've got a friend you wouldn't mind catching up with on your trip :)

I'd actually recommend any of their courses for a great short course option. In Boston in June they've got Chinese Acupressure face routine, it's great, and at the end of May they have Aromatherapy Face and Neck - it cover essential oils and theory a bit, and a very good face and neck routine, which actually has a fair bit of accupressure work in it.
melb
Registered Member

Postby barefoot on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:50 am

Thank you both! That's a great start for me anyway. I'll look into these suggestions. More are always welcome!

Sally
barefoot
Registered Member

Postby Texas-gal on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:08 am

Hi.

I did a little searching, and found a few websites that may or may not have some sort of class info that would be of help. Since I am not a reflexologist, I'll leave it up to someone else to tell us if these are "good" or not. :)

I couldn't find anything in Boston. :(

Claire Marie Miller Seminars (looks like there are a few in Pennsylvania and along the East coast)
http://www.integrativereflexology.com/schedule.php
http://www.integrativereflexology.com/course.php

New York/New Jersey
David Cook
http://www.reflexologyny.com/index5.htm

Burlington, Vermont (maybe you can visit Staggnant if you end up there)
Emily Bay
http://mysite.verizon.net/olavarri/www. ... lasses.htm

Maryland
Massage Institute of Maryland (has a Reflexology I in September)
http://www.massageinstitutemd.com/schoolcl.htm

-=-=-=-

The North East Directory of Holistic Resources
Workshops & Classes
http://www.neholistic.com/Dworkshops.htm

Connecticut Center for Universal Reflexology
Dr. Christine Jensen
250 Wolcott Road
Wolcott, CT 06716
203-879-2746; [email protected]

The Connecticut Center for Universal Reflexology is dedicated to providing a quality education to people from all walks of life. It is the school's mission to provide space for you to grow and the tools to assist your growth in the future.

Inner Journeys Holistic Care LLC
Dorothy J. Sala
269 Route 87
Columbia, CT 06237
860-450-6391; FAX: 860-228-4110; [email protected]

Inner Journeys is Devoted to Self-healing, nurturing and a greater connection to Mother Earth. Offering Therapeutic and Hot Stone Massage, Facials, Reflexology, Energy work, Ear Coning, Herbal counseling, classes. Call for Appointment. Dorothy is a CT Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Infant Massage Instructor; Hot Stone Therapist, Reiki Master and Herbalist
Texas-gal

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Were you able to find anything barefoot that would suit your timeframe?
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby barefoot on Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:01 am

Back in March I did check every one of the links posted and I have returned to some of them periodically. I guess it's time to review them all again. So far, no luck. Many thanks again to all who posted.

Also I'm in the midst of renegotiating with the hotel I worked for prior to hurricane Wilma, which did major damage here. The hotel took the time to remodel and although it is now operational, there are still many electrical and plumbing problems, with occupancy at only 35%. My massage room is at the end of the hotel gym which is still being used as a storage area. Until the gym is cleared and usable, I can't ask them to air condition the whole area just so my clients are comfortable, and I can't work without a/c. Also one of the employees seems to be sleeping in there. I've removed my table and anything else that could walk away, as a few easily replaceable items did find new homes, leaving only heavy furniture: desk, standing cabinet, large rattan chair, ashiatsu bars attached to the ceiling. It's a waiting game at this point.

I'm still interested in reflexology and will continue to pursue training, although it may have to wait until next year.

Thanks again,

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel
barefoot
Registered Member

Postby his_hands on Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi Sally,
I noticed that there has been no mention of International Institute of Reflexology. Their web address is www.reflexology-usa.net. I have taken several workshop with this organization and feel that IIR does an excellent job with the teaching of "The Ingham Method" of reflexology. The president of IIR, Dwight Byers, is the nephew to the late Eunice Ingham, who is referred to as the mother of reflexology. She is also the developer of "The Ingham Method".
I believe you will find the website very informative. There are also listings for workshops.
I am working towards certification with IIR.
Hope this helps.

God bless,
his_hands
"Three things I cannot escape: the eye of God, the voice of conscience, the stroke of death. In company, guard your tongue. In your family guard your temper. When alone, guard your thoughts." Venerable Matthew Talbot
his_hands
Fresh Hands

Return to Reflexology Education/Legislation