Massage Bar Fiasco

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Re: Massage Bar Fiasco

Postby StressSolutions on Mon May 30, 2005 5:55 am

Great thread, LOL w/Gaspen and SpiritedJen.  

I make a solid lotion that I mould in mini muffin pans, and sell (I would sell it if someone would buy it) in 1 oz plastic containers.  Neat containers.  

My recipe is simple, equal parts olive oil (any oil will work) butter (cocoa, shea, aloe, mango, avocado, etc) and beeswax.  Note, using cocoa butter will make a much harder bar than the semisolid butters.  You can use a mixture of oils and butters, options are endless.  

A salve I made will get little lumps in it, I think it is the shea butter seperating.  It remelts nicely in the palm of my hand before application.  I used it on some incisions on my wife.  

BTW, I bought the beeswax locally and filtered out the dead bees myself.  That was a lot of fun!  mk
StressSolutions

Postby SpiritedJen on Mon May 30, 2005 2:37 pm

Mick, those sound very nice :) What kind of container do you put them in? Do you buy them locally?
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller
www.spiritedawaymassage.abmp.com
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby DoLLz on Mon May 30, 2005 7:37 pm

Great thread, LOL w/Gaspen and SpiritedJen.  

I make a solid lotion that I mould in mini muffin pans, and sell (I would sell it if someone would buy it) in 1 oz plastic containers.  Neat containers.  

My recipe is simple, equal parts olive oil (any oil will work) butter (cocoa, shea, aloe, mango, avocado, etc) and beeswax.  Note, using cocoa butter will make a much harder bar than the semisolid butters.  You can use a mixture of oils and butters, options are endless.  

A salve I made will get little lumps in it, I think it is the shea butter seperating.  It remelts nicely in the palm of my hand before application.  I used it on some incisions on my wife.  

BTW, I bought the beeswax locally and filtered out the dead bees myself.  That was a lot of fun!  mk

I think the shea may need some tempering.  I cannot recall the recommended temp for tempering shea, but I think it's 180 and keep the shea at that temp for about 30-45 minutes.  Or, you can put it in a baggy and SMASH it in the palm of your hands to get rid of the grains.
DoLLz
Registered Member

Postby nybor7 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:12 pm

I used it on some incisions on my wife. filtered out the dead bees myself.  That was a lot of fun!  mk

Does one have to do with the other??

Dead bees and wifely incisions....Mick you're scaring the @#$%^^% out of me.......
Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Postby nybor7 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:14 pm

Actually, I think there is such a thing as MassageBar.  If I remember correctly it offers quickie seated massages at airports etc.
Like the others, at first glance I thought something happened at one of these establishments.....lol.

Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:23 am

Hahahahaha, kind of funny.  Dead bees and wifely incisions do not have anything to do with the other.  Other than I filtered the dead bees out of the beeswax that I used to make the salve that I smear on my wife.  

The containers I bought online, a while ago, I'll look around for the site and put it into an edit, ok?  They are just the right size for the mini-muffin shaped chunks of solid lotion, 1 oz.  I bought white, they have a hinged lid, and they are plastic.  They have quite a variety of sizes, I also bought some 1/4 ounce to use for lip balm, but the 1/4 oz tins hold up better in my pocket.  The tins are so cute, made of tin, of course, nice snug lid, I use them for lip balm and the salve that I carry all the time.  In a pinch, it can be used as lip balm, of course, but it sure does not taste very good.  

I too thought of a disaster at an airport seated massage facility when I saw this thread.  LOL, mick
StressSolutions

Postby karmassage on Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:17 am

I know a massage therapist who uses massage bars exclusively. she gives them to her clients after the massage, for a special treat to use at home. it sounds like a nice "extra" to stand out from other mt's.
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi
karmassage
Registered Member

Postby yrusore on Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:18 am

I know its a little off-subject but, when I first read "massage bar" I wondered if they'd need to be hiring a Bouncer.  That's like the perfect blend of my past and present lives.

One precaution: You can buy cocobutter in 1/4 lb. sticks, and though it smells very nice, it isn't at all good on toast.
"Movement is life. Life is a process. Improve the quality of the process and you improve the quality of life itself."- Moshe Feldenkrais
yrusore
Registered Member

Postby happyhands on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:41 pm

How do you retail your Massage bars?
HappyHands
happyhands
Registered Member

Postby dorraine on Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:57 am

I do not make massage bars but, I do use them...I buy them at
http://www.lush.com

they have awsome bath bombs too...the bubble bars are so big, I cut them in 3 (I have a 250 gal Tub)...I was however very disappointed in the bath melt...

The massage bars I have gotten have lasted very well...their products have cool stuff inside (whole seaweed,flowers and herbs)...

To make your own sounds like fun...I tried to make my own bath bombs and at one point, and candles too...had a lot of fun...I did use what I made...glad I did it...but really think I will leave the making to someone else  ;)...I just do not belong in the kitchen...let me know if you get it worked out...I am interested...
Cleverly Disguised As a Responsible Adult.

MA44729
dorraine
Registered Member

Postby Knead2care on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:23 pm

Dorraine

I got it figured out, thanks. It has been a lot of fun to make these, and they work great. I mostly just use them for my own personal use and give them to my family and friends. I have not retailed them, nor do I sell them. I just love being able to make my own bath products because not only is it cheaper, I can control what is put into them. But mostly, it is just fun :). Great for little gifts for friends, can package them up creatively.

Thanks all for your great ideas and feedback. Much appreciated.

Happy Days.......

Julie
Jules
Knead2care
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:12 pm

I know this is an old thread, and it took me a while to locate it!

I just ran across a company that makes lotion bars today, and thought I'd add the link here. I have no idea if they are as good as the ones people are making, but just in case (since it may be easier to purchase than to make):

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Spa Techniques