Facial or Facial Massage?

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Facial or Facial Massage?

Postby PremoMT on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:39 am

Hi All,
I have a question, where is the line drawn between a facial, and a facial massage? I would like to offer a facial massage with some extras like cleansers, masks, and lotions. But would that be considered a facial? Or does a facial massage seperate from a facial when you start getting into extractions and skin diagnosis?
I like the thought of massaging the face, neck and scalp, but I know I hate the feeling of oil, or heavy lotions on my face, neck and scalp. I much prefer the feeling of a cleanser massaged on my face.
Any suggestions? thanks~ ;)
My Website www.premospa.com
PremoMT
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:32 pm

This has been discussed on at least one other thread and I think the general consensus was: check your state laws. Some states allow it, some states don't.

I'm in New Mexico and I do facials. I call them "Inner Beauty Ayurvedic Facial Massage" and in my state I think the differentiation between esthetics and massage is that esthetics aims at beautification of the skin. So I just market mine as "not for cosmetic purposes" I steam the face with hot towels, cleanse, do a massage on face, neck and shoulders. Then mask on the face and massage hands/feet while it sets. Remove mask and moisturize.

I also never do extractions, nor use any machines (steamer, etc)

I would look up the esthetics laws in your state and see how they define it. Then figure out if/how you can do what you want to do while staying legal.

I love facials! They make a great break in the day, rest for the hands, and I just like playing with all the ingredients. :)
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Re: Facial or Facial Massage?

Postby makingachange on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:22 am

PremoMT wrote:Hi All,
I have a question, where is the line drawn between a facial, and a facial massage? I would like to offer a facial massage with some extras like cleansers, masks, and lotions. But would that be considered a facial? Or does a facial massage seperate from a facial when you start getting into extractions and skin diagnosis?
I like the thought of massaging the face, neck and scalp, but I know I hate the feeling of oil, or heavy lotions on my face, neck and scalp. I much prefer the feeling of a cleanser massaged on my face.
Any suggestions? thanks~ ;)

there's also some training for a hot stone shiatsu facial (i took it several years ago, can't remember the name... i think it was by shogo?). anyway, i really enjoyed it and my clients loved the tx too. in fact, i think i may dig up my materials and go back over them!

eta: the whole reason i posted this... whether you decide to do use oil,lotion or other facial products, it doesn't take much - AT ALL.

edited to add, again - hope i can find the manual - these things are going for minimum $100 since they're out of print!
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby softhearted515 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:00 pm

To me, a facial is cleansing, exfoliating and ending with moisturizer. A face massage is just that, massaging the face.

Once I did go to a day spa and got a facial. It was a face massage and I was pretty bummed out. It was nice but not what I wanted for the money. So I always ask now.
softhearted515
Registered Member

Postby Empathic~Heart on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 pm

In Oregon, LMTs are able to do "facials" based on the facial massage portion and apply product with massage as a vehicle. We do not do peels, pore extractions, microdermabrasion or other skin treatments of this nature, under our licensure anyway.

I offer European facials with hot towels, aromatherapy, hand and foot massage and of course facial massage. I apply a cleanser, skin conditioning oil (and the primary massage), mask, toner, serum, eye cream and protective day cream. Each step involves some type of massage stroke, which is why it is covered by my licensure.

I call it "European Facial and Massage" on my menu, with a description like the one above (but more flowery). ;)

It's important to be specific so that people don't end up disappointed because they didn't get what they expected.
Empathic~Heart
Registered Member

Check state regulations

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:13 pm

I have both - CMT and aesthetician. In our state, an aesthetician is licenses to "practice the cleansing, stimulating, manipulating and beautifying of skin, with hands or mechanical or electrical apparatus or appliances, and to give treatments to keep skin healthy and attractive" (from the state website). There's been some discussion about this between the massage board and the cosmetology board. Massage board says that CMTs/LMTs are allowed to do wraps and scrubs, cosmetology says no, that falls under the scope of skin treatment and beautification. Massage board says we're definitely not allowed to cleanse the skin, as that falls outside the scope of practice (knowing what types of skin can be treated, how and with what products) and more importantly, knowing what we can't treat.

I don't use oil on the face, as that is very pore clogging. I have a great facial massage cream that is activated with water but even that is removed after the steam/massage. Our European facial consists of cleansing, exfoliation, massage (w/ or w/o steam, depending on skin type), examination and extractions, masking, toner, eye cream and day lotion. If the service advertised as a 'facial', it should be with products for their skin type (dehydrated, oily but dehydrated, acneic, mature, normal, couperose etc.) I have say, I love the days when massage and facials alternate as it is a great change of pace!
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Postby jeffreyfrog on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Why does the blood pressure increase after a facial massage?
My mom is under medication for blood pressure. After she had a session of facial massage her bp shooted up.Even after taking the medicine she says after getting up from bed every time she has dizziness. What could be the reason.

swiha.edu
jeffreyfrog
Fresh Hands

Postby maestra on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:16 pm

I have not heard of someone's blood pressure going up after a massage.

I do however warn my clients after a massage to get up slowly as having been on the massage table for a while (reclining) it's possible that their blood pressure could have went down while they were resting. (Think relaxation response.)

While it is rare for them to get dizzy I like to remind my clients that it can happen and just to take things slowly as they go to get up and get dressed.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Rose of Sharon on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:05 pm

When I had problems with dizziness, the doctor had his nurse take my BP while lying, sitting and standing, then lying-to-standing. Getting up too quickly causes too great of a drop in BP for some folks (me included), causing dizziness.

Was your Mom's BP checked after the massage, or did she assume it went up because she got dizzy? Chances are she got dizzy because her BP dropped. Ask her to sit up slowly, dangle her feet off the table for a minute and then stand slowly, and see if that takes care of the dizziness.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Re: Facial or Facial Massage?

Postby jamesashley on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm

In facial they steam your face, massage it, scrub it and then apply a face pack. This is done to get rid of blackheads n make the skin glow. Face massage is just like simple massage- a massage cream or at ayurvedic places, some oils are used and your face is massaged in a scientific way but if you hate oil so I recommend you to take a facial for your skin.
jamesashley
Fresh Hands

Return to Spa Techniques