Can Mt's offer facials without being an esthetician?

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

LouiseL
Fresh Hands

Can Mt's offer facials without being an esthetician?

Post by LouiseL » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:26 am

If you don't do extractions can you do a basic facial as a MT?
LOVE Candles?
Soy/Veg Gourmet Cleaner Burning Candles
Once you try ours you'll never go back!
www.Healthfulscents.com

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:51 am

All depends on your state regulations.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

LouiseL
Fresh Hands

Post by LouiseL » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:25 am

I'm in MA I went to the gov site but couldn't seem to find the answer on that..
LOVE Candles?
www.Healthfulscents.com

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 am

No chance.

MA is your typical big government nanny state when it comes to regulation.

Only licensed cosmetologists can perform acts governed by the Board of Cosmetology, and then they can only be performed in a licensed cosmo establishment.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 am

a licensed cosmo establishment

I'll have a facial and a Grey Goose cosmo please ;-)

janice
Fresh Hands

Post by janice » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 am

what about facial massage, first cleansing then hydrating with the cream or lotion you massage with. There is a great dvd unique technique.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:59 am

Check with the state board of cosmetologists, but once you start in with the cleansing, they will probably give you the hand.

tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:55 pm

I'm dually licensed and I would never use the massage cream I use on the body on someone's face to hydrate, although it could be considered hydrating in a sense. As far as cleansers, I have 5 basic ones I use regularly, depending on skin type and condition. If state law does allow it, are you able to determine what cleanser and moisturizer should be used on every client? If you're advertising as a 'facial', are you prepared to answer questions about 'what is this spot?' and 'what do you recommend for...?' ?? Do you have a moisturizer that is fragrance free and non-comedogenic? If someone has a reaction to it, or breaks out in big whiteheads the next day, can you help them? If someone has rosacea, do you have a cleanser for them? Can you recommend sunscreen for them or a home regimen? If they didn't tell you, could you tell by looking at their med list that they have rosacea, by the names of common meds for that condition?

There's more to giving a facial than washing and hydrating. Extractions are only a part of it.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

LouiseL
Fresh Hands

Post by LouiseL » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:40 am

Maybe "facials" is not the correct word I'm looking for. I'm not looking to become an esthetician, nor am I looking to cross boundaries. I know in CT a massage therapist can do face treatments as long as there are no extractions, wondering if MA was the same.
LOVE Candles?
www.Healthfulscents.com

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:28 am

I do a hot towel face massage but can not use any cleansing products. So I tell the clients to come with a freshly cleanses face and I also make sure they understand that I do not do facials. Many clients love this service though.

shannah
Registered Member

Post by shannah » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:46 am

I offer a Rose Facial Massage Treatment which incorporates special facial creams and essential oils, some great massage on the face, hot towels and finishes with some facial serum and a refreshing spritz. I've had facials - this takes the best parts and leaves out the other! Oh, I'm in PA...
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you forget the words.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:59 am

The only person that can answer your question is someone at the MA State Board ofCosmetology.

Chapter 112: Section 87T. Definitions

Section 87T. The following words, as used in sections eighty-seven T to eighty-seven KK, inclusive, shall have the following meanings:—

“Aesthetician”, any person, who with hands or mechanical or electrical apparatus or appliances, or by the use of cosmetic preparations, tonics, lotions, or creams engages for compensation in the practice of cleansing, stimulating, manipulating and beautifying skin.

So what you are doing is, by definition, performing services defined by the act as those of an Aesthetician.

3.02: Operation of Salons Section 2 (d) All "Cosmetology" services, as defined in M.G.L. c. 112, § 87T, including those rendered in connection with the arrangement of any wig, wiglet or hair piece upon the head of any patron, if offered for pay, must be performed in a licensed salon by licensed personnel only.

janice
Fresh Hands

Post by janice » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:13 pm

a massage therapist can't massage a face..........oh please be real

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:20 pm

janice wrote:a massage therapist can't massage a face..........oh please be real
Which post are you referencing? Of course we can massage the face.
Sharon

[email protected]
Registered Member

Re: Can Mt's offer facials without being an esthetician?

Post by [email protected] » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 am

I think this has a few sides to see from.
In Texas you cannot do "facials" without being a licensed Esthetician.

However, I did work for a spa where we offered "Organic Facials" as massage therapists, because we did not diagnose skin conditions, clients chose the products used, we did not use steam machines (just hot towels), did not perform extractions or deal with any acne/blemishes and we did not claim to be skin care experts.

In our sessions we started with a hot towel steam on the face, followed by a cleanser, hot towel, and then a scrub, hot towel, then a masque (leave on), hot towel, and then a toner and a moisturizer. We would generally do 2-4 masques depending on length of session 30-60 min. While the masques or scrubs sat on the skin (up to 10 min) we would massage an extremity like the arms or legs. We also included a long facial massage.

Talk to your state licensing board about alternatives you could offer.
Perhaps you can do "facial massage with a treatment masque".
We always claimed our products did the work, we were just the facilitators.
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:18 pm

I know this thread is over a year old, but was just rereading. In my state LMT/CMTs cannot do anything to treat or beautify the skin (their words). So that would leave out any masking, cleansing etc. Nothing but facial massage. That would mean that any cleaning, exfoliation and masking would not be allowed, no matter how it's phrased on the menu.

If I'm having something put on my face and told it's a facial, I want someone who knows what they're doing, how their products work, what the ingredients are and how they work to improve my skin. I also want to be able to ask questions about the products (what should I do for this or that?) and get a knowledgeable answer.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:36 am

tranquilspirit2006 wrote:I know this thread is over a year old, but was just rereading. In my state LMT/CMTs cannot do anything to treat or beautify the skin (their words).
you must be in MD! They are as bad as MA!

[email protected]
Registered Member

Post by [email protected] » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:47 pm

You know, I decided to read over the Missouri Therapeutic Board Standards of Practice, and I don't see language that would indicate for or against skincare.

(1) A licensee shall practice within the scope of their education and training and shall not misrepresent professional qualifications relating to licensure, education, experience or
areas of competence. Records regarding the licensee’s education and training shall be maintained by the licensee.

(2) A licensee shall recommend or refer a client to another licensed health care professional when appropriate and shall not delegate professional responsibilities to a person
that is not qualified.

(3) A licensee shall acknowledge the limitations and contraindications of massage therapy and shall not provide unjustified services.

What do you all think? Or if anyone knows specifically about missouri?
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:38 pm

You need to check the MO Cosmo Board regs. They may protect the acts/services provided by their licensees

[email protected]
Registered Member

Post by [email protected] » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:52 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:You need to check the MO Cosmo Board regs. They may protect the acts/services provided by their licensees
I searched through the Cosmetology Board Rules and Regulations but couldn't find anything related to esthetics or skin care specifically? Hmm..
~Tiffany Fields

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:15 am

LouiseL wrote:If you don't do extractions can you do a basic facial as a MT?

I took the Facial Renisassiance class at Bancroft School of Massage. And when I was working at a day spa I did skin treatments all the time

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:18 am

JLWmassage wrote:
LouiseL wrote:If you don't do extractions can you do a basic facial as a MT?

I took the Facial Renisassiance class at Bancroft School of Massage. And when I was working at a day spa I did skin treatments all the time

Here is the class infomation

Course: Facial Renaissance Massage May Workshop
Instructor: Susie M. Samaha
Dates: 05/16/10 - 05/16/10
Times: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Cost: $125.00
Register now
Description:
Cost: $125

Reviewer Rate: $95

7 contact hours

Full payment is required a week prior to the seminar.

Learn to blend massage to the face, scalp and neck into an hour-long relaxation session. This workshop focuses on incorporating hydrotherapy, herbs, acupressure points and Swedish massage.

This workshop is geared toward massage therapists. Spa skincare therapists with basic massage skills are welcome .

Materials required: Linens (sheet, draping and draping towels), 3 washcloths; face cream or face oil,cleanser, masque, toner and body oil; a 1-gallon bowl.

jamesashley
Fresh Hands

Post by jamesashley » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:19 pm

I do a hot towel face massage but cannot use any cleansing products. So I tell the clients to come with a freshly cleanses face and I also make sure they understand that I do not do facials. Many clients love this service though.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:22 am

JLWmassage wrote:

Just because you did them, does not mean the spa was not breaking the cosmo board's establishment regulations, much like JUST because you are an IC and the spa provides your equipment and supplies and makes you be there set hours does not mean they are complying with state labor regulations.

Return to “Spa Techniques”