Maybe I'm not girlie enough

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Ella Menneau
Registered Member

Maybe I'm not girlie enough

Post by Ella Menneau » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Would somebody please explain the point of sugar scrubs, and chocolate scrubs and all those spa treatments? I just don't get it, sincerely. Is it just different aromas to go with the exfoliation? why do you want them to smell like food?

TIA
Pain is a natural occurrence. Suffering is a choice.

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:20 pm

I think sugar scrub sounds like a "sweeter" experience than a salt scrub... metaphor is important.

It's entirely possible sugar has a different beneficial effect on the skin than salt, maybe someone else here knows for food.

As for chocolate, chocolate is not mere "food"! Chocolate is practically a vital element... what were those chinese sages thinking, only 5 elements? :-D

Ella Menneau
Registered Member

Post by Ella Menneau » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Chocolate is practically a vital element
Well, exactly? Why waste it by shmearing it all over your body? :grin:
Pain is a natural occurrence. Suffering is a choice.

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Sugar is much finer, and has been recommended as a facial exfoliant by beauty experts like Paula Begoun. Sugar grains have softer edges than salt, and does not irritate "scratched" skin, which is what exfoliation is all about.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

MaybeMobile?
Registered Member

Post by MaybeMobile? » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:05 pm

I just think its all fun :lol:

[email protected]
Registered Member

Re: Maybe I'm not girlie enough

Post by [email protected] » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:52 am

The whole point of spa treatments is not only the fact that they can be customized but that they enhance skin function and cellular turnover rate through exfoliation and soaking up the ingredients for hydrating and other effects (dependent on the ingredients of course). They also make your skin feel silky soft, can be a great base for spray tanning (especially for those special events!), and just make you feel good!
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

TessKB
Fresh Hands

Re:

Post by TessKB » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:I think sugar scrub sounds like a "sweeter" experience than a salt scrub... metaphor is important.

It's entirely possible sugar has a different beneficial effect on the skin than salt, maybe someone else here knows for food.

As for chocolate, chocolate is not mere "food"! Chocolate is practically a vital element... what were those chinese sages thinking, only 5 elements? :-D
That's somewhat true. I know salt is a way better exfoliate than sugar ones are. Coco has a lot of properties to help deal with nourish skin cells especially used in the butter form. The best scrub though is the salt one by far.

Taoist
Registered Member

Re: Re:

Post by Taoist » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:14 pm

TessKB wrote:
EgoMagickian wrote:I think sugar scrub sounds like a "sweeter" experience than a salt scrub... metaphor is important.

That's somewhat true. I know salt is a way better exfoliate than sugar ones are. Coco has a lot of properties to help deal with nourish skin cells especially used in the butter form. The best scrub though is the salt one by far.
The reason for salt being a more aggressive exfoliator is because it doesn't dissolve when added with water or oil. Sugar partially dissolves, leaving a few grains to exfoliate and some melted substance that helps hydrate the skin. The reason it's recommended for the face is because of the fact that it's more gentle, plus the face's delicate skin can dry out very easily, making salt a poor choice for the face. Whenever a scrub is done with salt it's always (or at least should be) followed with a short massage using some sort of hydrating cream, such as shea or cocoa butter. There's also less risk of an allergic reaction or accidentally finding a cut or scrape with sugar that salt would burn (salt being an antiseptic). The whole exfoliation process not only makes the skin soft by sloughing off dead skin cells, but it's tonifying which makes the skin feel more firm and it also stimulates the circulatory system via friction.

As far as chocolate goes (which does have benefits for the skin), 100% cocoa is usually used so it's not the sweet milk-chocolate that we usually eat. The reason is for the caffeine. Coffee beans have been used for a long time in poultices because the caffeine constricts blood vessels, which can be beneficial for recovering from injuries or bruises, but most people like the smell of chocolate better. When semi-sweet chocolate is used, it's for the added soothing benefit that milk has on the skin.

I think that smelling like chocolate or sugar is what spas market for the "luxury" factor. A lot of us are emotionally tied to sugar & chocolate as stress relievers and a momentary "break from life", which is also kind of what spas are about, right? :)
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Re:

Post by Taoist » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:22 pm

Taoist wrote:The reason for salt being a more aggressive exfoliator is because it doesn't dissolve when added with water or oil.
Breathe wrote:Sugar grains have softer edges than salt, and does not irritate "scratched" skin, which is what exfoliation is all about.
I missed this when I posted.. this is also a reason :)
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:06 pm

I think either sugar or salt is a preference. I like both.

Why have a scrub? Your WHOLE body will be the softest its ever been! I LOVE scrubs. :):)

If someone asks me about going to the spa and the best treatments, I always tell them to do a scrub. When I go to the spa, ALWAYS a scrub.

Salt is rougher then sugar though so if someone is sensitive, I would suggest sugar.

Darn it, now I want a scrub!!!

Skye Phillips
Fresh Hands

Post by Skye Phillips » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:24 pm

As far as the scrubs go I would have to vote for sugar. It is a finer texture and it doesn't fall off when applying it to the client's feet. It also feels much better on my hands and the clients always have complimented it. Of course, this is not going to be used on every person because of diabetes...but I'm just talking about normal sessions and pretty healthy clientel.

-Malena

riversinger

Post by riversinger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Though I've never had one of these done in a spa, or offer them to my clients - I do keep these products in my bathroom shower for treating myself, especially during the winter months when the skin tends to get dry. The relief from any dry itchy skin is wonderful & feels completely pampering & luxurious, as it leave the skin silky & smooth. Scrubs are great!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:23 am

Oh - and the GUYS that have gotten scrubs absolutely LOVE them.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

pear2apple
Registered Member

Post by pear2apple » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Skye Phillips wrote:As far as the scrubs go I would have to vote for sugar. Of course, this is not going to be used on every person because of diabetes...but I'm just talking about normal sessions and pretty healthy clientel.

-Malena
Maybe I'm just that clueless, but whats diabetes have to do with a sugar scrub on the outside of the body?
Licensed Massage Therapist at Fringe by Carrie Salon Studio
www.facebook.com/fringebycarrie
www.fringebycarrie.com Toledo, OH 43614
http://www.etsy.com/people/PearsPalette

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:02 am

pear2apple wrote:Maybe I'm just that clueless, but whats diabetes have to do with a sugar scrub on the outside of the body?
Waiting to hear as well. I'm diabetic and I have done sugar scrubs on myself. Never noticed any negative effects??

Angie

Skye Phillips
Fresh Hands

Post by Skye Phillips » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:10 am

moogie wrote:
pear2apple wrote:Maybe I'm just that clueless, but whats diabetes have to do with a sugar scrub on the outside of the body?
Waiting to hear as well. I'm diabetic and I have done sugar scrubs on myself. Never noticed any negative effects??

Angie
That's great that you didn't have any negative effects.
My lead therapist at one of the clinics I used to work at told us to refrain from giving sugar scrubs (whether it be the hands ,feet, or whole body) to people with diabetes because the sugar would absorb in the skin and therefore get in the blood stream,which could lead to problems. So, we would have to give salt scrubs instead. I don't work in a spa anymore and don't have to worry about that situation , but every body is different and it just seems a littel risky. It might really be ok and I'm open to that as well, but some people are more sensitive than others.

-Malena

Taoist
Registered Member

Post by Taoist » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:35 am

Some spa treatments that are contraindicated for diabetes relate to the loss of sensation people have in their extremities in more advanced stages. They're unable to tell you if something is uncomfortable and damage could occur. It's usually in relation to hot or cold treatments though because there's a lot more possibility for burns and other damage to happen than with a scrub.
Lao Tzu

JaeMarie

Post by JaeMarie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:18 am

Equally, would salt scrubs be contraindicated for those with high blood pressure? I don't do scrubs, but the idea of avoiding sugar scrubs for diabetics made me curious.

I only came across a quick blurb on a yoga site that cautioned against using sugar scrubs on diabetics, but everything else I saw said it would be ok. Justification being that it's washed off (and to be sure that it's thoroughly rinsed - especially from the hands before a finger stick to test, as any remaining sugar could throw off the results) and that it's not so readily absorbed into intact skin. The only concerns I came across were to be careful not to abrade the skin in areas of poor circulation due to infection/healing concerns.

Again, I haven't been trained to do scrubs so don't take my word for it, but this is the information some searches and reading brought me.

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm

I don't think either sugar or salt can be absorbed through intact skin, the particles are just too big.

Angie

GreenDragonfly

Post by GreenDragonfly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

moogie wrote:I don't think either sugar or salt can be absorbed through intact skin, the particles are just too big.

Angie

I'd have to read the science behind this to believe it also Angie. Has anyone ever heard of people with high blood pressure being banned from going into the ocean? I haven't.

Sugar, if it DID absorb into the pores would probably take an excessively long time to make any affect to anyone. Just as you can't sit in a tub of water and not get thirsty. However, I did see on an episode of Myth Busters that if a person were to sit in a big tub of alcohol for long enough, it would affect them.

So of course we know that the skin is permeable, but to sugar? Enough to pose a problem for a diabetic. No. I'm not buying it till I see the proof on that one.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!

Skye Phillips
Fresh Hands

Post by Skye Phillips » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:42 am

GreenDragonfly wrote:
moogie wrote:I don't think either sugar or salt can be absorbed through intact skin, the particles are just too big.

Angie

I'd have to read the science behind this to believe it also Angie. Has anyone ever heard of people with high blood pressure being banned from going into the ocean? I haven't.

Sugar, if it DID absorb into the pores would probably take an excessively long time to make any affect to anyone. Just as you can't sit in a tub of water and not get thirsty. However, I did see on an episode of Myth Busters that if a person were to sit in a big tub of alcohol for long enough, it would affect them.

So of course we know that the skin is permeable, but to sugar? Enough to pose a problem for a diabetic. No. I'm not buying it till I see the proof on that one.
You got me there too. This is a good topic to think about. I mean if you all are using these scrubs on anyone and there are no negative effects from your clients then that's cool. I would think that if it was used in excess-practically bathing in the sugar scrub(which it never happens like that)..then maybe, but it is only a small amount and not even left on the skin long enough. So I think ultimately it would be ok to go through with the scrubs of any kind unless the client states otherwise.
-Malena 8)

GreenDragonfly

Post by GreenDragonfly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:27 pm

I decided to try and find if there is any scientific basis for this and I found:

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v6/n3/ ... 7_BX1.html

The article talks about trying to extract glucose in diabetics as an alternative to taking blood samples. Honestly, the whole process is lengthy and involves ultrasound in order to make it work. So I guess unless you are using an electric current, with a suction device, SLS to make the skin more permeable, soaking the skin in saline for a certain amount of time beforehand, you aren't even going to be successful in pulling OUT any noticeable amount of glucose.

I'd say that we fall back to universal precautions for using any type of scrub, lotion or otherwise to anyone. Of course if a person has diabetes we should be sure that they aren't also suffering from peripheral neuropathy or some other contraindication but the sugar itself doesn't really have any bearing at all.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!

Skye Phillips
Fresh Hands

Post by Skye Phillips » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm

GreenDragonfly wrote:I decided to try and find if there is any scientific basis for this and I found:

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v6/n3/ ... 7_BX1.html

The article talks about trying to extract glucose in diabetics as an alternative to taking blood samples. Honestly, the whole process is lengthy and involves ultrasound in order to make it work. So I guess unless you are using an electric current, with a suction device, SLS to make the skin more permeable, soaking the skin in saline for a certain amount of time beforehand, you aren't even going to be successful in pulling OUT any noticeable amount of glucose.

I'd say that we fall back to universal precautions for using any type of scrub, lotion or otherwise to anyone. Of course if a person has diabetes we should be sure that they aren't also suffering from peripheral neuropathy or some other contraindication but the sugar itself doesn't really have any bearing at all.
Exactly! :)

Return to “Spa Techniques”