less expensive alternatives to spa equip

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Re: less expensive alternatives to spa equip

Postby lovingkindness on Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:18 am

Re. those coffee warmers {electric} , has anyone found them? I looked at Wal-Mart with no success. Wendy :-/
lovingkindness
Fresh Hands

Postby scotts45 on Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:37 am

I would try looking for the coffee warmers at Sears, Dillards, or maybe even Target.
scotts45

Postby YogaLMT on Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:34 pm

Found the warmers on Walgreens.com:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... TID=100472
Perhaps they have them in the stores, too.
Good luck!
Andrea
~ Andrea
YogaLMT
Registered Member

Postby happyhands on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:47 pm

I have a slow cooker that I keep my stones in and I also keep my bottle of oil in with them to keep the oil warm. It keeps my oil warm through the whole massage session.
HappyHands
happyhands
Registered Member

Postby art_of_zen on Thu May 27, 2004 5:05 am

I have some suggestions to add to this subject:
As far as big equipment goes, I do have a large Chattanooga Hydrocollator and ColPac unit, but I acquired these very inexpensively... $600 for the ColPac with all of the gel packs, and $100 for the large hydrocollator.  Gotta love Ebay!  ;)
I must have saved at least $2500, and I got what I wanted.  In fact, my equipment is better than the equipment at my chiropractor's office!
The Hydrocollator unit was $50 for shipping, and the ColPac was free shipping (they delivered it to my mother's home in Birmingham, and I picked it up when I visited later that summer).  My boyfriend bough a Hydrocollator like mine for a little more, which we are not currently using, but we did consider using it to hold linens for herbal wraps.  I have not gone as far as to offer spa treatments as of yet, but it's always a consideration for the future.
I also got my GX-99 on Ebay with all the creams, posters, and attachments, for $900 w/shipping.  That saved me a great deal over the package price, which was much higher (just the unit alone costs over $1500).
My baby bottle warmer works great for heating massage lotion and gel!  I got it at the thrift store for $2.00, and it holds several backup bottles and tubes of lotion as well.  Works like a charm.  I did buy a regular one prior to that for about $17 at Toys R Us, but the big unit from the thrift store does all I need.  You need a little bit of water to heat the lotion bottles, but I have a bottled water in my cabinet that I use for this. It never gets too hot, but common sense will tell you not to try and heat a bottle with just a small amount of lotion, or it will get too hot.  If the bottle is at least halfway full, not a problem.
I do have a microwave, but all I've used it for so far is to heat coffee.  :P  I have a water dispenser in lieu of individual bottles.  I imagine one day I might use it to heat towels.
Instead of a table warmer, I bought a twin heated mattress pad for about $22.00 for my massage table.  I didn't like the way it bunched around the edge, so I cut off the excess fabric around the perimeter and it works nicely, like the table warmers you see at massage suppliers.
These are just some of the things I've done to save money, but like Joe E., I agree that nothing really substitutes for the real deal in the end.
Traci

"All those that believe in psychokenisis, raise my hand." ~Steven Wright
art_of_zen
Registered Member

Postby APAYNE on Thu May 27, 2004 5:36 am

I use a baby WIPE warmer not bottle warmer. Just leave the lid up and put several bottles of oil and lotion in it an switch bottle betweent client. so each client get warm oil. ;)
APAYNE

Postby art_of_zen on Thu May 27, 2004 11:43 am

I have a baby wipe warmer also... some of my clients don't like leaving with the feeling of lotion all over them, so they like having those to clean up with, also.  I do notice that it's important to cover the bottom with a small amount of water, or the bottom wipes do get browned pretty well.
Traci

"All those that believe in psychokenisis, raise my hand." ~Steven Wright
art_of_zen
Registered Member

Postby Ladyja on Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:20 am

Just wondering?  If you use a rice cooker for a hot towel warmer, what size do you use?  A 10 cup or 12 cup?  Would one be okay or should you get two?   ::)
Ladyja
Registered Member

Postby GreenDragonfly on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 pm

These are some great ideas for MTs just starting out or looking to try some add-ons without incurring a huge expense. The last post with some tips was quite a while ago! Anyone have any other ideas?

I just found something that is working for me recently. I purchased a new heating pad and it is heavy because it has those beads that absorb moisture from the air and release it with the heat so it is very nice. It is also digital so I can control the temp. I like it that it is heavy because it molds better to the body and I found that it is large enough to fold over and I can heat some stones with it very nicely! I just put a towel between the heating pad and my stones so this way I only have to change the towel and quickly wash the stones. I don't have to fuss with the crock pot and the water.

I do this when I am using stones as a little add on. It certainly isn't large enough area to heat many stones at once but it works great for me and the heating pad has multiple uses for me so it made it worth the purchase ($50 from Massage Warehouse) its the Therma Cure digital heating pad.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Previous

Return to Spa Techniques