scalp treatment

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

scalp treatment

Postby schantell on Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:01 am

Does anyone know any delicious head treatments with oil?  I use a mango or papaya oil and massage that into the scalp and people love it.  I'm just interested in other treatments, any ideas?  aloha, puamaeole
schantell

Re: scalp treatment

Postby speters on Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:59 am

do you have to wash the hair after one of these treatments?
speters
Fresh Hands

Postby EgoMagickian on Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:44 pm

One word: shirodhara
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby schantell on Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:36 am

No, I dont need to wash their hair.  I use about 4 sprits per side of hair.  Clients love it and it almost acts as a conditioner to their hair.  It really is lovely.
schantell

Postby lac on Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:28 pm

"I use about 4 sprits per side of hair"<br>Can you please expain in more detail how you do it .<br>Thank  you.<br>
lac

Postby schantell on Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:10 am

I have a bottle of papaya oil that i use and i just 4 to 6 sprays per side of head.  It makes it smell delicious and i feel it is easier to massage.  Clients just love the extra that you give them. With just a few sprints it almost acts like a conditioner nothing to heavy that you have to wash out, you should try it then you'll know what I mean your clients will like it unless they spent choke money on styling it (lol).   By the way shirodhara is a cool sight.  Thanks puamaeole 8)
schantell

Postby Texas-gal on Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:13 am

Shirodara -- never new what it was before reading this, but here is some info I found (hope this helps anyone else who was wondering):

Shirodhara- Ayurvedic Treatment

Process: Our concept of shirodhara includes Body Massage, head massage and and oil pouring on forhead. (90 minutes)

Oils: It is recommended to use medicated oil with Sesame oil for shirodhara for long lasting benefits.

`````````````````````

Shirodhara is an ancient Ayurvedic healing practice performed in India for over 2,000 years.  It is the application of warmed sesame oil (infused with herbs) gently poured onto the forehead for an extended period of time.  Herbal oils are gently placed into the nose, as rare Ayurvedic essential oils are placed onto the hands.  It is performed with the client lying face up on a massage table in a relaxing environment.  

`````````````````````

And this site has a nice picture for you to look at:

http://www.steamywonder.com/Shirodhara.html

`````````````````````

And this site has shirodara supplies and classes:

http://www.diamondwayayurveda.com/promotions.ivnu
Last edited by Texas-gal on Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas-gal

Postby Texas-gal on Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:21 am

May I inquire as to if you do anything special when you are performing the papaya / mango spritz massage to the head?  Circular motions,  deep hair pulling, tilting of the head, etc?  Thanks for the info.  Always nice to learn!   :)
Texas-gal

Postby lmtmom on Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:08 pm

where does one get mango/papaya oil here in the eastern U.S.???  sounds yummy....
lmtmom
Fresh Hands

Postby schantell on Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:40 am

i do tilt the head from one side to the next.  My strokes depend on what i pick up from the body.  I cant explain it but some heads need slow rhythmic movements and others is a fast scalp almost like scratching a scalp. this is something i just do intuitively. i do stretch  the hair from the scalp and i pull from the roots my focus is releasing tension from the under the scalp. alot of times i dream of techniques and then use them on my clients its cool because they really like it.
schantell

Postby moogie on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:33 am

"Bump"

Interesting topic......anyone else with interesting scalp treatments?

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby makingachange on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:51 am

this is an amazing thread.. how did i never see it before?

anyway, there's a particular oil blend i use called 'the crown chakra' from www.producedonearth.com. i've been using that this week for scalp massage and it's been amazing! the clients are either sleeping really well and having great dreams or they're having visions. it's amazing. the blend has jasmine, ravensara, clary sage and roman chamomile.

i think i'll get a spritzer bottle though and mix it with our living water. that was a great suggestion!

amanda
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby louieann34 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:57 am

I suggest that you should find out fist the cause of dandruff...so that it wont come back again..Because I've just read that one that causes dandruff are molds...And molds are mostly be found in our house.

:D :D :D :D
louieann34
Fresh Hands

Postby BJB-LMP on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 am

livingwell wrote:this is an amazing thread.. how did i never see it before?

Probably because it was three years old! :lol: Thanks for bumping it up Angie. I don't currently do any spa-stuff but I might be able to pull something like this off.
-Beccy
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 pm

livingwell wrote:there's a particular oil blend i use called 'the crown chakra' >>>>> i've been using that this week for scalp massage and it's been amazing! the clients are either sleeping really well and having great dreams or they're having visions. it's amazing. the blend has jasmine, ravensara, clary sage and roman chamomile.
The ravensara is the really good sleep EO, clary sage is known for vivid dreams. Intersting combination, I usually just use the ravensara for a good night's sleep.
melb
Registered Member

Postby dani9455 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:10 pm

One thing that is really nice to do after a scalp massage is to wrap their head in a hot towel. You just wrap it turban style and then put a dry towel over it to keep the heat in. It is amazing! Their hair gets pretty damp, but I have clients who now bring a baseball cap because they want to be sure and get the scalp treatment.
dani9455
Fresh Hands

Postby AngEngland on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:10 pm

I just ordered a product to try that is a scalp massage scrub. I also order a "strengthening mud hair mask" that I'm going to try as well - I'm thinking scalp massage and then apply the hair mask and wrap in hot, steamy towel turban while I do a 15 minute facial massage with my very nifty cold, quartz facial stones.

It should be here on Tuesday - I'll let you know if it's a Yeah or a Nay on the scap treatment when I finish.

I can guess that I won't be pleased with the quality of the ingrediants and will have to hunt for a better source and/or way to create myself. *laughing* Since the brochure didn't list the exact ingrediants (I HATE THAT!). Oh well - we'll see what happens.

Angela <><
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:01 pm

I do Shirodhara. I use equipment I bought from Sacred Stone Therapy but for better equipment I am now looking at ShiroPlus. The first stuff is more pouring and watching the temperature, and I haven't used the second stuff, but I did get a treatment from someone using it and I was amazed. I saw no equipment, the treatment was perfect and I had to drill her for questions afterwards. Very good.

I also like to incorporate into my massage a thorough scalp massage. For many people I will wipe or wash my hands first and then massage their scalp for 3-5 minutes. The people who are interested in the oil will generally just go for the shirodhara.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby MaybeMobile? on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:07 am

*BUMP*

How did it turn out? Where did you order it? In another window I'm googling some of the oils mentioned.... feeling 'shoppy' today!! LOL
MaybeMobile?
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:02 am

Bumping this because I found an interesting tool by accident today. It is a portable Shirodhara unit that can use water.

Now I don't know anything about how a practitoner of Shirodhara would feel about that, but it may be useful to someone out there. This company also makes an "Oil" system (Cristalmind™ Shirodhara |Item: WP-045).
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:23 am

<bumping this old and interesting thread up>

I'm not planning on doing this in my own office, but since we've got some new MT's on the boards, I though this may bring them out of the woodwork and encourage them to start participating.

The boards can only survive if everyone participates! Newbies... that means you too! :smt006
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Spa Techniques