oil in hair

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

oil in hair

Postby scotts45 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:16 pm

How do you keep oil from getting in the clients hair during a massage.  I know that a client would come in and say,  "please don't get oil in my hair today, I'm going out  after this massage".  And also, what do you do besides using cremes if client doesn't want to feel greasy?  Does anyone use hot towels and wipe off the oil of your clients after a massage?  :-/
scotts45

Re: oil in hair

Postby Sadiedawn on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:12 pm

A fellow therapist uses a towel to put over EVERY clients hair. It's just something she likes to do. She can also do a scalp massage through the towel so the client doesn't miss out on it. Although they do still have a wild 'do the client can usually make themselves presentable after the massage.
Other non-greasy options so clients don't feel like a french fry....try different oils. As mentioned in another post, jojoba oil doesn't tend to leave the greasy feel. I'm sure there are many different ones out there. Start testing them out! Creams are also great. You can use cornstarch too...something we used a little in class. It's better for a light (vs. deep) massage. Make sure clients aren't allergic to corn though!!
Polarity Practitioner, Transformational Coach, Hypnotherapist, Soul Portrait Composer
Sadiedawn
Registered Member

Postby BasicKneads on Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:04 pm

I always start with the head, so there is nothing on my hands.  It never becomes a problem.
Earl
BasicKneads
Fresh Hands

Postby CalicoComfort on Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:52 am

I've used disposable shower caps if a client is really insistent about oil in the hair, but they are noisy, every time they move, there is that crinkle-crinkle-crinkle. You can get cloth shower caps, but they are expensive and I don't know if even washing them would make a client feel comfortable about putting it on their head. There is always a little oil in the hair of my clients when they are done. I do the neck at the end of a session, so the hairs near the occiput are a touch greasy, but I try my best to wipe off as much as I can, without pulling the skin. Witch hazel on a small towel can cut the oil a bit.
CalicoComfort
Registered Member

Postby mel on Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:45 pm

In the spas I have visited, they use these terrycloth headwraps.  Just like when you get a facial.  I have not had any complaints about greasy problems.  I use biotone cream and do an extra rub down with the sheets after the massage is complete.  This usually makes the client happy and is a standard sign that the massage is over.  The towel idea is good but I feel that it is too heavy when I am receiving a massage so the Facial Wrap that just covers the hairline is perfect for me.  If you do scalp massage at the end just keep a small towel handy for your hands.  My clients don't mind when I take a second to wipe off my hands before using my hair pulling technique, and it really minimizes the grease.  Hope I helped.
Compassion from heart to hands!
mel
Registered Member

Postby jillrmt on Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:48 pm

I personally like the biotone gel, less greasy feeling.  I also gently remove the gel from the back and then leave the towel with the client "for if you have any extra oil you don't want on".  As for the hair, if the client asks to have the hair avoided I just use a small towel drapping it over/under the neck and pulling it up and this clears the neck.  They usually appreciate this gesture. :)
Jillian, RMT
Canada

"We as healers should be working together not in the spirit of competition, but in the spirit of compassion"
jillrmt
Registered Member

Postby lovely_day on Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:46 am

Hi, I have had a lot of "thank Yous" from clients when I explain how I'm going to take a minute to clean my hands of oils before I massage their face and scalp. I also ask before hand, if they wish a scalp massage and explain how I can do it without getting oil on their hair or messing it up. If they want that type of careful head massage it's more of a pressure point head massage. Still very relaxing to client.
lovely_day
Registered Member

Postby Joe_E on Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:13 pm

Why not just start them supine and begin on their head and face?  That way, you don't have any oil on your hands when you work on their head and your hands are clean of any other body part when working on their face.  
Joe E.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby jillrmt on Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:36 pm

Personally I find that the neck is one of the hardest areas for ppl to relax, so by the time I get there it is much easier for me to work the area than to start right off.   :)
Jillian, RMT
Canada

"We as healers should be working together not in the spirit of competition, but in the spirit of compassion"
jillrmt
Registered Member

Postby Joe_E on Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:39 pm

Jill, I'm confused, what makes it easier to do later in the massage than towards the beginning?  
Joe E.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby lovely_day on Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:28 am

Jill, I also start people prone, if they have no preference.
One: it's less vulnerable, esp. to people who are new to massage.
Two: If people tend to get stuffed up from prone position, they enjoy the supine time to unstuff.
Three: Neck tension has connections in the back so I work the prone side first, flip and do side and or supine and when I get to the neck they are fully relaxed, and able to "give me" their neck. Everyone has a different way to start and as long as you honor or ask the clients preference, both ways are fine!  ;D
lovely_day
Registered Member

Postby jillrmt on Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:35 am

Exactly...You and I think alike lovely :)
Jillian, RMT
Canada

jillrmt
Registered Member

Postby CalicoComfort on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:13 am

Lovely, I agree as well!
Another reason I start prone......
When my clients are face down, they turn over, and they have indents on their face from the face cradle. Starting prone gives 20-25 minutes for the face to go back to "normal". And yes, I've tried the Memory foam face cradle and seamless flannel face cradle covers, but the face still looks a bit "off" after being in the cradle for 1/2 an hour.
CalicoComfort
Registered Member

Postby lovely_day on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:49 am

Calico, I knew I was missing reason four!!!! I hate that myself.{face cradle forehead}  I like starting prone when I get massage, but I do not return to MTs who start supine without asking my preference! When I'm getting massage it's ALL about me! :D
lovely_day
Registered Member

Postby reikicara on Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:50 am

The more I read posts the more I worry about how I am doing... :)  All the advice is great but it's like a floodgate opening.  I live in PA and there isn't much regulation so a lot of us take an intro class and then add classes.  We aren't taught a lot of the considerations many of you have.  I am glad I am going back to school this month!  (A different school, of course!)
Did all this make sense?
reikicara
Registered Member

Postby Tranquilmassage on Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:37 am

I agree with most of what everyone has said here.  I like to start with the head because in school I did not care for someone touching my head and face after their hands had been on my feet!  Yes, my feet are showered every day, but it's just the thought of it.  I had a very good Kinesiology/Pathology and Palpation lab instructor who is also a LPT, NCMT who advised us all not to use too much lubricant, whatever your preference, because you will give a superficial massage and end up with oily sheets which are hard to get clean sometimes.  I have taken his advice and have rarely had a problem with stained sheets and it's much easier to do controlled deep ts that way.  I use Biotone gel for the most part.
~Deb~
"Disconnecting from change does not recapture the past...it loses the future!" -- Kathleen Norris
Tranquilmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby S Williams on Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:33 am

Before I begin a massage I put my holster on (containing my lotion) and I always tuck a white hand in the belt as well.  That way it's there if I ever have too much lotion on my hands I can easily just wipe it on the towel.
I start my massages off in the prone position, when I have my clients flip over I grab a spray bottle that I keep close by and spray my hands and wipe them with the towel.  I explain to the client that I don't want to put the lotion (or sombra or whatever else I might be using) on their face or in their hair.
It's like starting with fresh clean hands.  I think they appreciate it. ;)
S Williams

Postby bodyworker on Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:33 am

Yep, you are right.  If you start face up, then there should not be a problem with oil in the hair or on the face.  However; not everyone starts face up.
I attended school in two different states and each school taught it different. One face up the other face down.  
It all depends on what feels right for you....and even then the client may have their own preference.  You just never know, but you do need to be prepared.
Thanks.  
Blue skies,
bodyworker
Registered Member

Postby LadySinatra on Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:03 pm

It's weird this has been brought up because our school wants us to learn face up but my instructor prefers face down so we are learning both.
I did think about how I didn't think I would want to touch someone's face after I had been all over their body because I know I wouldn't want that. That was like the only drawback to starting face down.
I guess the safe thing to do is not to assume and ask the client what they prefer.
NJ Lady Massage Assassin "Kill 'em with comfort."
LadySinatra
Registered Member

Postby Gator on Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:10 pm

I start almost all my massages prone.  For the reasons stated above.  My preference is to end with head and neck work.  Amazing how people can sleep while you are moving their head and working on their neck and shoulders.  They don't sleep if I start with it.  I also use a hand towel to wipe my hands off before touching the face at all.  Many massages end with  the Cranial, CV-4 hold to really induce relaxation and balancing.  
If the client has a preference or their chief complaint requires me to start with them supine then we do that.  Have to be flexible plus it keeps you from becoming stuck in a set routine.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Gator
Registered Member

Postby happyhands on Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:25 pm

I start face up first. and when the client is face down and im ending I put a towel over their head so that oil doent get into the hair and then wipe my hands off to end with the scalp and my clients love it and don't get oil in the hair.
HappyHands
happyhands
Registered Member

Postby Texas-gal on Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:28 am

Hi. :)
As a preface, generally I start face up, because I have many people who need a minimum of 20 mins. worth of neck work, so the problem of oil in the hair does seem to be non-existent when you do this, mainly because head and neck work can be done minus the lotion or if you use lotion for some moves on the neck, it only needs to be minimal anyway, due to the stroke pattern.
In a complete spa setting I still found myself starting face up.  However, many people don't do too much neck work in the spa setting, because the clients are usually asking for a LOT of back work.  A colleague of mine would start all of her clients face down, and gently lay a white hand towel (not a wash cloth) like the ones many estheticians use for the facials across the back of the head and tuck it behind the ears, so no hair and only the neck was exposed.  The towel was light enough to give the client a rested feeling as though a "hand" were placed gently on their head.  She would remove the towel once she finished the prone shoulder work, just in case by now the client might be getting clausterphobic due to the towel not having moved.  This technique always worked well, and I have used it on a few people myself.  It may be something you want to try.
I use lotion for my massage and it never leaves the client feeling greasy.  Two types I have found are excellent for a non-greasy feel, though I am sure there are others are CBI Avocado Body Lotion and Natural Formulations Sunflower Deep Tissue Lotion.
Hope that helps.
Texas-gal

Postby Katykangaroo8 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:14 pm

I start prone too.  I use Biotone Deep Tissue Lotion because it evaporates quickly and doesn't seem to leave a residue on hands or hair.  Not to mention the control I have by not overlubricating.  I do arms and hands after I do feet, and by then the clients have forgotten about their feet.
We tried changing lotions a few months ago because my boss pays for lotion and he's always looking to cut costs.  Our clients hated it.  They called us on it right away - nobody had to tell them we'd switched.  I ended up sampling every lotion I could find, but in the end we went back to the Biotone.  I regularly have clients ask if they can buy some to use at home as everyday moisturizing lotion.
I keep a hair clip on my table leg too.  Keeping hair up and out of the way helps.  Before I close with a face and scalp massage, I wipe my hands on a towell and take out the hair clip.  It doesn't seem as stuffy as a towel or shower cap.<
Katykangaroo
Katykangaroo8
Registered Member

Next

Return to Spa Techniques