face massage with cold stones

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

face massage with cold stones

Postby schantell on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:34 am

has anyone tried using cold stones for their face massages?  how was it was it delicious for the client?
schantell

Re: face massage with cold stoness

Postby scavengerheart on Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:03 pm

I've never done a facial massage with cold stones, but I have placed them over the clients' closed eyes, while I massaged the face and head.  They loved it.<br>Scav
scavengerheart
Registered Member

Postby melb on Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:40 pm

I use marble for face massage, particularly for someone with a flushed complexion. Most people have loved it.  It's a bit of I treat people the way I like to be treated and hot rocks on my face make me go red easily.  I've got a set of carved marble from http://www.lapolarstones.com I've been looking at http://www.jadetherapystones.com/ stones too.  Both of these are carved stones - they don't feel like they have the same energy as natural stones.  I've also seen some natural quartzite ones used - they don't feel nearly as smooth and cooling, but do have a higher vibration to them.  I think I will stick with my marble for now, the feel is soooo smooth and cooling, and let the other stones I use do the energetic side :)  I like some bits of the treatment to just be on a physical level :)  (A sock with a few smooth stones on the back of the neck when face down is also very popular in warmer weather)
http://www.healingstonemassage.com/index.html#facial has a quartzite set.
melb
Registered Member

Postby superspagirl on Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:29 am

So when "cold" is mentioned do you mean you just don't heat them or you actually put them in ice or something to cool them???
*Laurie*
superspagirl
Retired Moderator

Postby puamaeole on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:39 am

thanks for the replies  ;) when i say cold i mean in the freezer cold. (lol)  i use cold stones on the body especially on the back for people who have sun burn, i use a aloe gel and then place ti leaves on their back on put cold stones to the leaves.  the clients really like it.  the leaves take away the heat in the body, i grew up using this leaf for fevers and headaches.  It is used for many things here, like hula skirts, protection against unwanted energy, a plate ect.  I think i've tried using cold stones on the face before i cant remember i think i was fumbling at it so did not do it again.  but this heat is inspiring me to take it back up.  I do foot massages to and i use ice cold stones to lomi the feet. Clients love it especially if they been walking on it alot and it's hot outside.<br>
puamaeole
Registered Member

Postby puamaeole on Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:41 am

p.s. finally learned how to log on (lol)  
puamaeole
Registered Member

Postby ylang_ylang on Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:23 pm

While a Client was in a wrap, I put two small, cold stones under her eyes, one on her third eye and one on her chin. The ones under the eyes were to relieve undereye puffiness. They were big enough to also be on the nasal sinus/cheek bone structure to relieve sinus pressure as well. The third eye and chin stones were over the pressure points as energy/balancing techinques. <br>The stones stayed on her face for 5 minutes while I got everything ready for her facial.<br>The client was amazed how the cold stones helped her sinus pressure and how grounded she felt afterwards.<br><br>That was the first time I ever tried stones with the facial.<br>I liked it so much, I began offering it as an upgrade to the standard facial. I only charged five dollars extra and most clients enjoyed the upgrade.<br><br>I encourage you to play around with your stones example: placing on various pressure points, <br>you'll find great techniques that your client and you will love just by experimenting.<br>good luck!
Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were going to live forever.
-Ghandi
ylang_ylang
Fresh Hands

Postby puamaeole on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:15 am

thank you clary sage, and i love that saying from ghandi.<br> :)  when you say pressure points are you refering to the tsubo, or shiatsu pressure points?  And what kind of energy balancing are you refering to, what kind of modality is that?  There is many styles yeah out there, do you know anyone in paticular that has profound effects on balancing energy, besides reiki, i don't want to take that course it's not anyting bad, just ..........sorry cant answer that question.  When you run a cold stone behind a hot one, it helps the muscles to to some kind of arobics, what are the physical benefits also from it?  thanx in advance, puamaeole ???
puamaeole
Registered Member

Postby puamaeole on Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:57 am

yesterday i did an express facial using cold stones at the end just to trace and place.  i fumbled a little but basically enjoyed it.  i did do a hot rocks whole body treatment and with each limb traced it immediatly with cold stones, dude reallllllllllllly enjoyed it. ;)
puamaeole
Registered Member

Postby superspagirl on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:08 am

When you run a cold stone behind a hot one, it helps the muscles to to some kind of arobics, what are the physical benefits also from it?  thanx in advance, puamaeole ???
Is this what you mean by tracing? That sounds interesting. <br>
*Laurie*
superspagirl
Retired Moderator

Postby natalie on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:56 pm

ive had a cold stone facial before and it was toalty wonderful. i taught my self to do it, i use it sometimes usually when my clients are in hot wraps.
sorry i cant spell
natalie
Registered Member

Postby puamaeole on Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:25 am

superspagirl, yeah tracing in following right behind with frozen stones, i like creating and playing so i come up with all kinds of stuff.  It probably has all been done before it's just new to me ;D  But yes thats what i mean by tracing.  or going along a meridian line.  i gotta do some research if anyone knows how hot or cold affects each or some meridians in particular and what is the effects.  does it enhance, constrict ect. let me know please, thanx in advance, puamaeole
puamaeole
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:37 am

Old thread but still interesting. The Healing Stone massage video includes instructions on how to do a cool stone facial massage. I keep my cool stones in the fridge though, not the freezer as someone posted above and they are plenty cold enough!

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby HappyKarma on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 pm

Cold stones on the face,and especially on the eyes are wonderful,and it feels wonderful-- I love it! But somewhere I read one should never freeze the stones,as this may cause minor frostbite and tissue damage. Refrigerated stones will do just fine,and will be much more therapeutic and causes less discomfort for the client.

Namaste'
Johnny :D
"When life wrinkles you up,get a massage"
HappyKarma
Registered Member

Postby lecontefairy on Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:27 pm

I use cold stones when people come in with a headache. I wrap their feet in warm towels and use the cold stones on the back of their neck and around their eyes. It seems to help relieve the headache. I would like to learn more, does anyone have a link to The Healing Stone massage video?

LeContefairy
lecontefairy
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:05 pm

lecontefairy wrote:I would like to learn more, does anyone have a link to The Healing Stone massage video?

This is the link for Carollanne's website: http://www.healingstonemassage.com/

Her video can be purchased at just about any massage supply place.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby lecontefairy on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks, I did find it on Amazon. There is a second video also although I do not believe it shows a facial stone massage.

LeContefairy
lecontefairy
Registered Member

Postby jacqueline on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 am

I watched a stone video where the therapist recommende that you use cold stones at "room" temperature and they would have the same effect..?? hmmm ;)
jacqueline
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Cold stones at room temperature have almost the same effect on the client as in "oooh that's cooooooold!"

I usually just use stones chilled in an ice cooler with an ice block directly on the face, but I put stones out of the freezer in the container too - they're not directly out of the freezer, but a lot colder than stones just put in the cooler (if that makes sense) The ones from the freezer are all marble, the ones just placed in the cooler are various crystals. The marble I use on the body, and use for placement on the face but not directly on the skin, usually with something like a tissue (particularly good with the eye moons I use)

The chilled not frozen stones just stay cold a bit longer than room temp stones, room temp they do warm up fairly quickly.

the second Healing Stone Massage video, from the website DVD #2 takes you to a deeper exploration into stone thermotherapy, with 5 sequences: SPORTS, MERIDIAN, PRENATAL, LYMPHATIC, & very cool RESTORATIVE YOGA POSTURES WITH STONES AS SELF CARE for YOU! It doesn't give anymore info on the face. It's good for sports and meridian stuff, I don't agree with using it for prenatal (and I've not found a single pregnant client that has expressed interest in hot stones anyway, they love the cold ones, but that's not in the video....)

I prefer the Sacred Stone Healing facial dvd over the Healing Stone Massage video http://sacredstonehealing.com/stonefaci ... lvideo.htm

The LaStone Facial one http://www.amlstonesource.com/index.php ... ucts_id=74 is VERY good
melb
Registered Member

Postby lecontefairy on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks Melb. Is there a site to order the Sacred Stone Healing Video from?

LeContefairy
lecontefairy
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Sorry, the navigation on that site is a bit confused (looks like a bit of a redesign since I last saw it). Shopping cart can be found at http://www.sacredstonehealing.com/video.htm and that gives you a better navigation through the rest of the site. http://sacredstonehealing.com/videosampler.html gives you an idea of what the videos are like (warning: don't try and watch that on a dial up connection !)

The video starts with about 15min of stone layout, which is pretty much the same in all their videos, but then it gets into the face bit :) (it's so much the same in the videos when I first watched it I had to eject it to check I hadn't put the wrong one in!)
melb
Registered Member

Postby lecontefairy on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Thanks again Melb. I think I will order that video and incorporate more cold stones into the massage for summer.

LeContefairy
lecontefairy
Registered Member

Re:

Postby pueppi on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 am

melb wrote:I prefer the Sacred Stone facial dvd over the Healing Stone Massage video http://sacredstonehealing.com/stonefaci ... lvideo.htm
melb wrote:The facial one doesn't show as much stone massage for the face as I was expecting, but it includes a crystal layout on the face and a face masque, I still got quite a lot out of it.

The LaStone Facial one http://www.amlstonesource.com/index.php ... ucts_id=74 is VERY good

Updated links for this portion of to the thread:

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: face massage with cold stones

Postby pueppi on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 pm

I can't add to my above post, so I am making a new one with an additional info bit.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Re:

Postby pueppi on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:48 pm

moogie wrote:Old thread but still interesting. The Healing Stone massage video includes instructions on how to do a cool stone facial massage. I keep my cool stones in the fridge though, not the freezer as someone posted above and they are plenty cold enough!

I wasn't real impressed with the Healing Stone Massage video, but I tried to add all of the things that were useful in it for me, in the forums. Here is what I picked up from Carollanne Crichton's DVD in regard to the "Cool Moonstone Facial". Cross thread for my other post about the rest of the DVD can be found here.

Cool Moonstone Facial

Client supine:

White stones are best used in cooling treatments because they do not retian heat well.

Place 2 medium white moonstones over the lymphatic collection sites in lower torso (lateral abdominal regions above inguinal area) and also over chest (at pec/shoulder area). Tuck the lymphatic chest stones into towel/sheet so they are secure.

Place 2 large white moonstones stones into the hands/palms briefly.

Use only cool stones (not frozen / not cold) on facial skin. Use steady movements (do your facial massage with these stones; she worked *very* lightly). Cool stones are always used without lotion.

Larger stones placed over cheeks and forehead to reduce sinus pressure. Briefly hold cool stones lightly over eyes to bring relief due to computer eyestrain.

Tuck the facial stones under neck and traps when done.

Lay last stone over third eye chakra and and trace two over sinuses moementarily. Tuck sinus stones under neck/traps, and when removing forehead stone, pull it up and into the hairline.
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Spa Techniques