shirodhara

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

karmassage
Registered Member

shirodhara

Post by karmassage » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:36 am

has anyone ever done or experienced this ayurvedic oil treatment? it involves pouring oil on the forehead and into the scalp. it sounds heavenly, but at $600+, i'd like to see what others think before buying the equipment.<br><br>thanks!
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

IntuitiveHealers
Registered Member

Re: shirodhara

Post by IntuitiveHealers » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:40 am

:o $600.00  :o<br><br>I made my own equipment for $20.00 and an old stool: it looks and feels great!<br><br>I love this treatment. It is fabulous!
Blessings and Be well!

karmassage
Registered Member

Post by karmassage » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:33 am

would you share how you made it?<br><br>thanks!

lovely_day
Registered Member

Post by lovely_day » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:16 am

I too would like to know how you made it! I love deals!!!!!!

karmassage
Registered Member

Post by karmassage » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:45 pm

actually, it looks pretty easy. i just bought a copper hanging pot for 10 bucks and found a quiet motorized pump for $30. i think i can add some tubing relatively cheaply and voila! of course, i don't think you have to have a motor or tubing...

IntuitiveHealers - how long do you let it pour? 15/20 minutes?  

thanks!

lovely_day
Registered Member

Post by lovely_day » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:13 am

Why would you need pump and tubing? As I've seen it, the oil slowly comes out of the bottom of the pot onto the forehead. I'm guessing you have plastic under their head area for protection and the oil residue tumbles into a larger pail to be discarded. {Actually, very similar to how I used to wash patients hair who were bedridden in hospital.}

karmassage
Registered Member

Post by karmassage » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:10 am

yeah, i don't think you need a pump/tubing. some of the equipment i saw for purchase had the oil being pumped from a tube into the vessel... but i think it takes away from the organic experience. :)

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:17 am

i used to perform the Tara Ayervedics spa rituals whan i worked in a large resort spa.<br>in training for the shirodhara, i was the body. when done correctly, this is heavenly.  ;D<br>if the oil is not warm enough, dribbles, or is placed incorrectly, it's annoying.  >:(<br><br>table set-up for the head area includes: <br>a small cervical roll to slightly tilt the head, so oil rolls superiorly off the scalp,<br>a medium sized sheet of plastic, held in place by the cervical roll and client's head. must be long enough for the ends of the plastic to hang into the drip bowl..<br>a small stool with a drip bowl, probably 8" or 10" round. (we used stainless, not rubber or plastic)<br>the shirodhara stand/oil bowl (has a screw to regulate the stream of oil)<br><br>very, very important:<br>before opening the stream, which is supposed to hit the "3rd eye", you MUST dip your finger into the warm oil and rub the 3rd eye chakra spot briefly, tracing a "tail' of oil back towrd the scalp-line. then you would begin the stream of oil. the reason why you do this is to 'prime' the direction of the oil drip. otherwise, the run-off will randomly move off the face.<br>the stream lasted about 10-15 minutes.<br>we finished this portion of the ritual with carefully picking up the drip bowl and sitting on the stool, we would use the oil from the bowl to completely saturate the scalp and hair. apply a shower cap and carefully remove the cervial roll and plastic sheeting.<br>we also covered the eyes with cotton rounds sprayed with the aroma mist product and used these round to wipe the forehead of any excess oil from the stream.<br><br>
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005

karmassage
Registered Member

Post by karmassage » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:55 am

thank you mush! that is very helpful information. i'm working on putting my equipment together and will try it out on a couple of regulars. i'll let you know if it's heavenly or annoying!  ;D

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:13 am

a couple of other things:<br>when you 'hit' the third eye, it will produce a pleasant sensation. in my experience, it was resonating...best word i can think of. <br>the other thing, the dispensing bowl from Tara had a screw feature on the outside bottom to start and stop the flow. if you use this, or anything else you may devise, you should hold your hand under the stream when it first starts and stops (when it is most apt to dribble) until the time when the dribble turns to stream. remove your hand to allow the stream to fall. (think chinese water torture  ;D)<br>do the reverse at the end. when the stream approaches the end, don't allow it to dribble. insert your hand to catch it while turning the screw shut.
red rocks 9/2005

lovely_day
Registered Member

Post by lovely_day » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:25 am

Thanks Mush! Do you just sit there as the treatment is being done or do you do hand or foot massage as the oil is dripping?????

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:46 pm

You don't do ANYTHING else while the oil is streaming over the forehead, it is relaxing for the client because all focus is on the forehead.  If you start mucking around adding hand massage etc you are removing that and you may as well not do it.  You can't leave the room, it requires supervision, plus it is really really disturbing having someone going in an out of the room - regardless of how quiet you are, the senses get heightened during the treatment.<br>Some people you can get away with just s fine stream (stream - never dribble or drip - just like mush has said, you need to move a stream of warm oil on, not build up to a stream)<br><br>If the client is high Pitta - you need a thick stream of oil - you need some basic Ayurvedic understanding to identify Pitta.  A fine stream on Pitta is horrible, very very very irritating.  I'm fairly Pitta, but become high Pitta in classes yet look very Kapha, so people don't recognise how Pitta I actually am.  I HATED the practise treatments in the course until the very last one where the instructor said "she's very Pitta, make it a thick stream" - that was wonderful, but it was much much much thicker than anyone else on the course needed.<br><br>Ayurvedic Beauty Care includes set up of equipment - (and you don't want a pump - too distracting)  You do need the oil warmed, and that can be a problem for a couple of pints of oil. The oil should be discarded afterwards - this can add a great deal to the expense of the treatment if you use the recommended oils (different oils depending on their Ayurvedic doshas, but none are cheap oils) The Art and Practice of Shirodhara DVD will give you a good understanding of it, or best option would be do a course so you can experience it and feel how bad it can be when you don't know what you are doing - it is VERY off putting done badly.<br><br>

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:56 am

lovely~<br>melb is right on  ;D<br><br>i'm a pitta too. but i didn't know that about the thickness of the stream, but for me, it makes perfect sense.<br>thanks for the insight & the links melb  ;)
red rocks 9/2005

klowe
Registered Member

Post by klowe » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:19 pm

This sounds so GREAT!! I was wondering if you need a special certification to do this? I live in PA and wondered if this was regulated by an estitician license..<br><br>thanks<br>any links for info?

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:16 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't need an estitician license. Probably it would be best to contact Diamond Way Ayurveda  They lecture all over the place eg Miami conference, plus run full courses (mainly in California, but I have seen dates outside of that area) If anyone would know about licensing, I think it would be them.<br><br>Their Shirodhara Training details give you a bit of an indication that it's a bit more than a bit of oil dribbled on the 3rd eye :)<br><br><br>

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:28 pm

I will also add Hydroco's Suzi has a shirodhara attachment :) It does colour therapy, steam treatments, washes, conditions, massages, aromatherapy, all with a power recliner chair :) Solves the problem of what to do with a greasy head of hair.....   ;D I wouldn't recommend this piece of equipment, but it may give you an idea of what some of the spas might be using.....

happyhands
Registered Member

Post by happyhands » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:05 pm

Good question? Or I need to ask a question. What do you do with the hair after the treatment and what do you charge for the treatment. I've wanted to learn this for some time now. But like they said the expense was a little much for me. But, A copper pot, a hole and thats what Im talking about baby.  Treatment that don't cost an arm and a leg and part of your rent.
HappyHands

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:59 pm

I don't offer it even though I did the training because of the oil.<br><br>I think the training said charge as much as a normal massage plus the cost of the oil.  Round here the cost of the oil is about 50% of a normal massage, so charging 150% of a normal massage, I just can't justify.  I've heard some practitioners list the price as the same as a massage and say "oil additional" which is sort of fair enough since different oils are different prices, different people require different oils, but people don't expect oil to be THAT expensive.  They send you home with your oil, which is a good sign they use fresh oil on each person, and it also means they're not clogging up their own drain with it (not that they should be putting it down the drain anyway).<br><br>A friend that would get it done quite often would just wear a beret/hat after the treatment and keep the oil in as long as possible.  Otherwise you let them wash their hair, you can try putting a cover over the hair, but more often that not it will get into the hair, so don't bother trying to stop it.  Or you have that Suzi machine :) <br><br>This is all part of the reason it isn't done at every business.  I'd say shirodhara done properly IS one of those treatments that can cost an arm and a leg and part of your rent.  I wouldn't want to keep 2-4 pints of a few different oils on hand in case someone needed that type of oil for their treatment, unless I was doing it often.  

happyhands
Registered Member

Post by happyhands » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:04 pm

So, is what you are saying is that it is relly an expensive treatment to offer. Unless you have quite a large client wanting the service.  :o I thought it would add a great additional income. But, ........ It sounds like alot of trouble. ???
HappyHands

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:05 pm

The general oil for the treatment would be 1qt of sesame oil.  Not sure of the pricing in the US, but a bit too expensive where I am.<br><br>Done well it is a wonderful treatment, done poorly it can be VERY off putting. <br><br>Maybe someone that does offer it on a regular basis can explain how they manage the volume of oil used? Moneywise and room AND client clean up?<br><br><br>
I've wanted to learn this for some time now
quench your curiosity and learn it. <br>Funnily enough, I found the course very worthwhile even though I've not done anything with the actual shirodhara training.

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:01 am

Good question? Or I need to ask a question. What do you do with the hair after the treatment and what do you charge for the treatment.
we would conclude with a shower cap over the oiled hair/scalp.. but before you remove the protective plastic from under the head. the cap goes on from under the neck, gathering the hair into it, and finish with the scalp's front edge.

the oil remaining in the bowl was put into the trash, not down the sink.

i have only performed this in a spa, that offered showers. i have never done this in a dry room environment, but that's not to say it couldn't be done  ;)

pricewise~ this was priced at: 80 minute shiro for $150, the shiro plus a full body massage ... assumably 30 minutes for shiro and 50 minute massage. this price is from 6 years ago, it is now offered at the same spa for $185.
red rocks 9/2005

happyhands
Registered Member

Post by happyhands » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the info. I think Iam just going to go ahead and take the course and see for myself. Maybe it will be worth it. Never know till you try. And I like trying new treatments. ;D
HappyHands

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:58 pm

I just found these details of an upcoming course, if anyone is interested.... The training I did was just with Melanie Sachs, but very similar format, so I would expect this course to be just as good :)

Tibetan Shirodhara Class in San Luis Obispo, California with Robert and Melanie Sachs

November 14th-16th, 2005

The Tibetan Shirodhara treatment is a seamless combination of four stress reducing Tibetan marma and massage protocols that lead into shirodhara, pouring a fine stream of warm oil over the forehead. The result is profoundly relaxing and places your client in a deep, positive, reflective place where they can experience an enriched sense of personal awareness.

The program will include-
  • · Presentations on Ayurvedic and shirodhara theory
    · Non-denominational meditation instruction
    · Use of Primavera-Life’s customized Ayurvedic blends of face and body oils and sprays
    · Demonstrations of-
    • Tibetan Psychological Stress Marma series
      Abdominal massage
      Tibetan Eye rejuvenation - use of Tibetan Lotions
      Shirodhara
    · Practice time for giving and receiving all parts of the treatment
    · Questions and Answers Time

Cost $395 which includes notes and a full lunch everyday.
A $125 deposit is requested to confirm your place.

Please call 1-866-303-3321 if you have questions or email for details of accomodation Etc.

shivashiva
Registered Member

Post by shivashiva » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:59 am

Another old thread I am resurrecting~ :)

I use oils from www.banyanbotancials.com The Shirodhara oil is about $75 a gallon, and the sesame is about $30. I mix both together, using 32-40 oz per treatment. I think the oil probably costs about $10 per treatment. I charge $20 more than a regular massage because of the initial cost of the equipment, and also because it takes me about 30 minutes after the treatment to fully clean up, and it produces more laundry. I do send people home with the oil, but often they refuse. (I've found offering them 32oz of oil can be daunting. If I offer them instead 8oz in a pump bottle, they will almost always take it) I actually probably have about 5 or 6 gallons of oil in my closet. I think that throwing it away is also not the proper thing to do, and it may need to be disposed of with other waste oil, such as restaurant cooking oil. I am still looking in to where I can dispose of it. (Maybe I will get a diesel engine that takes vegetable oil and use it for gas!)

I have a shower in my treatment room and make that available to everyone to use. But I recommend they keep the oil in their hair for at least 2 hours. I instruct them to bring a cap or something they don't mind getting oily. If they don't bring anything I let them take a towel home if they want (cost to me=$2). At the end of the treatment I spend a bit of time thoroughly squeezing all the oil out of their hair and doing a long head massage. If they have longer hair (more than shoulder length) before the oil starts I will either braid or clip their hair over to the side, so the oil doesn't have to travel through all the hair before it goes into the collection pot below.

I don't currently use a pump, but I am in the process of getting one. I can understand the sentiment that you are "taking away from the organic-ness" of the treatment, I used to feel that way myself, but after doing the treatment manually for about 9 months, where I have to switch out the pots below and use the full pot to fill up the vessel above about 4-6 times per treatment (depending on how much oil I use and how long the treatment is), and accidentally clanging pot against pot, or bumping into the stand and causing the oil stream to go astray -- I have decided that no matter how graceful I get, I will still make mistakes and it is more important for the treatment to flow smoothly and not be disturbing than to stick to my idea of "organic" and be clanging pots around.

I have gotten the pump from www.ajarabeauty.com and it is very very quiet, especially after it is submerged in the oil. I am excited to start using it. This way I can focus more of my attention during the treatment to holding space for the client, and at times directly the flow of oil on the forehead. It is really wonderful for the therapist to hold the upper pot and let it move slowly back and forth across the forehead. Very hypnotic!

Because I love this treatment, I have found the investment to be very worthwhile. It did cost about $600 initially for the equipment, and a bit for the oils. (However, you can use plain grapeseed oil with a few drops of essential oil. This will cost only about $5 per treatment and still be lovely. Washes out easier, too). I have had a majority of my clients eventually inquire about the treatment and try it out. I have the equipment in my treatment room and frequently people comment on it and ask what it's for. I am in a small town that is far from any big town....I am the only one in town offering it, and when tourists find my website they frequently choose me (even if they're not getting the shirodhara, abhyanga, or other ayurvedic offerings) because "You have so much cool stuff!" Very worthwhile.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats

peacenut
Registered Member

Post by peacenut » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:11 pm

What about a water shirodhara? I read about that on Wikpedia.

Return to “Spa Techniques”