Massage Bar Fiasco

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Knead2care
Fresh Hands

Massage Bar Fiasco

Post by Knead2care » Mon May 16, 2005 1:34 pm

Help, Please :)

I have been experimenting with making my own massage bars (mostly for personal use) but every time they harden they get spots in them???? They work great, and the firmness of them is perfect. I think that it has something to do with the melting temperature of the Coconut butter? My recipe is as follows:

1/2 cup coco butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
essential oil of choice

Melt butter and oil together (low heat). When melted add ess. oil and pour into molds.

I have searched high and low for possible clue of proper temp. to melt the butter and oil at and nothing. I have done the double boiler thing, and very low heat.

Anyone have a clue??? Any hints at how to make them solidify without uneven colored spots in them would be appreciated. They would be PERFECT otherwise.

Thank you.
Jules

moogie
Site Admin

Re: Massage Bar Fiasco

Post by moogie » Mon May 16, 2005 4:09 pm

Once you melt the cocoa butter, continue to simmer it on low for 2-3 minutes.  This should help to make it a smoother consistency.

Hope this helps

DoLLz
Registered Member

Post by DoLLz » Mon May 16, 2005 7:41 pm

what's a tablesthingy?

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Mon May 16, 2005 8:33 pm

a "tablesthingy" is the ever helpful message board naughty word replacement for tablespoon

Gaspen
Registered Member

Post by Gaspen » Tue May 17, 2005 6:01 am

Okay - color me stupid, DOHH! But...what's the purpose of a massage bar? (besides smelling good)
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com

SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Post by SpiritedJen » Tue May 17, 2005 6:42 am

Gaspen, don't feel all alone, I don't know what a massage bar is either. When I read the subject I was thinking it was like a juice bar, or oxygen bar, lol.  ;D
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller
www.spiritedawaymassage.abmp.com

Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Post by Masthera » Tue May 17, 2005 6:52 am

Gaspen, don't feel all alone, I don't know what a massage bar is either. When I read the subject I was thinking it was like a juice bar, or oxygen bar, lol.
I believe by massage bar they are meaning a bar that is used as (made out of)a massage lubricant that melts with someone's body temp.  

Correct me if I am wrong.  :)
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford

Gaspen
Registered Member

Post by Gaspen » Tue May 17, 2005 7:54 am

How would you use it? It would make sense to use it prior to warming up the body since it would no longer be at 'body temperature' anymore. Wouldn't lotion in a bottle be as good (especially as you're able to make your lotions to your preferences anyway)?
www.SpencerMassage.com

DoLLz
Registered Member

Post by DoLLz » Tue May 17, 2005 10:37 am

A massage bar is like a cream that keeps its shape and doesn't dry out.  It melts with the warmth of your hands.  I prefer to use this type of medium for massage also.

As for melting the butters, I believe it's supposed to be melted at about 160-170 degrees?  I've never had cocoa butter discolor or get colored spot, so I have no idea what would be causing it.  Possibly the EO?  What temperature are you adding the EO at?  Maybe the EO is not getting mixed in thoroughly.  

Try making the bars without the EO and see if it still discolors.

Knead2care
Fresh Hands

Post by Knead2care » Tue May 17, 2005 12:27 pm

Thanks Dollz:

Quite honestly do not know the exact temp. I am adding the EO's at, I just let it sit for a few minutes (off the heat) about 3-5 minutes. I have not found any references anywhere that mentioned the temp. to add the Eo's at, only to not add them over the heat. But to make them without EO's? I have the worst time trying that, I love everything scented with them :). But I might just try a sample batch to see if that makes a difference, if it does, I know it must be the EO's. I will let you know.

Thank you for the advice.

Dollz, what exact formula (quantities and ingredients) do you use for your massage bars?

Oh, and to everyone that was not sure about the massage bars, sorry, they are in fact what Dollz mentioned. A solid bar (made out of various natural butters, and oils) that melt with the heat of your body. They are dreamy, I love them for an alternative to lotion. They are great after a shower, just rub over body, and enjoy.
Jules

SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Post by SpiritedJen » Tue May 17, 2005 1:18 pm

How do you use it during a massage though? Break off a chunk? What is the consistency like when it is hard?
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller

Staggnant
Registered Member

Post by Staggnant » Tue May 17, 2005 2:57 pm

How do you use it during a massage though? Break off a chunk?
I THINK (not sure, I'm just as confused as most of us here) she's wanting to make them for the client to use on themselves for personal coco-butter-ing after a shower. She'd mentioned that they were mostly for client personal use. Not sure why they'd be called a massage bar though? If you used it more than once, wouldn't that cross-contaminate?

DoLLz
Registered Member

Post by DoLLz » Tue May 17, 2005 3:53 pm

I use 2 different recipes.  

This first recipe ends up being quite soft.  You can pour it into a mold, but it probably won't come out.  I put this into 1oz or 2oz jars.  I use this on clients I know that have EXTREMELY dry skin.  I, myself, have extremely dry skin.  I use it after my shower.  Anyway, here is the first recipe:

18 grams cocoa butter (not deodorized)
42 grams shea/mango/avocado butter (depends on what I have on hand)
40 grams jojoba oil
20 grams rice bran oil
20 grams beeswax

The second recipe is one that I use more frequently.  It doesn't feel as "greasy" and is harder.  

28 grams beeswax
42 grams cocoa butter
42 grams shea butter
56 grams almond or jojoba oil
Do not pour into mold until temp has reached about 150 or lower. I use plastic candy bar molds.
The measurements of the ingredients is by weight.

cnelson44
Fresh Hands

Post by cnelson44 » Tue May 17, 2005 4:34 pm

I have seen massage bars listed on http://www.lush.com. I have never used one, I assumed it was to be held in your hands like a hot stone.

SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Post by SpiritedJen » Tue May 17, 2005 4:46 pm

But you can't just smudge it directly on someone's skin right? You'd have to break off a bit in your hand and then use that? But you couldn't smother a client with something thick and lumpy so you'd have to wait until it melted a bit? I'm completely confused, LOL  ::)
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Tue May 17, 2005 5:25 pm

I think the solid ones are more a retail line - an option for a massage without needing to worry about spilling any oil - perfect for home use.<br>Personally, of the lush stuff, their massage powders are lovely, you don't have to worry about oily sheets :) and you don't have to wait for them to melt (though their massage bars melt on contact pretty quickly).  Their powders have a little bit of cocoa butter in them.

Gaspen
Registered Member

Post by Gaspen » Wed May 18, 2005 5:21 am

Sorry, but my male gene must be kickin' in. Can't seem to get my brain to wrap around the concept. I'll have to see it in action first. I mean I can understand clients using them after a shower, but a therapist during a massage?...
www.SpencerMassage.com

SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Post by SpiritedJen » Wed May 18, 2005 5:35 am

I can't get my female brain to wrap around this concept either, lol. Again, don't feel bad  :)
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller

DoLLz
Registered Member

Post by DoLLz » Wed May 18, 2005 7:58 am

But you can't just smudge it directly on someone's skin right? You'd have to break off a bit in your hand and then use that? But you couldn't smother a client with something thick and lumpy so you'd have to wait until it melted a bit? I'm completely confused, LOL  ::)
*grinning*  I am not sure how to explain without possibly making you MORE confused.  On occasion, I have smudged it directly on their back.  Well, it wasn't necessarily smudging but I held it in the palm of my hands while doing effleurage on the back.  It was a flat chunk with the corners rounded off a bit.  I tested this on a family member first and they did not know I was applying it directly.  

As for the thick and lumpy, it isn't lumpy.  Think of it like breaking off chunks of chocolate and letting it melt in your hands.  Anyway, the butters in the massage bar will melt with your body heat.  The candy bar molds I use have 8 sections and 4 cavities (to pour into).  It's about the size of a Hershey's bar.  I use about half of the ‘candy bar’ per massage.  So, there are 4 pieces for me to work with if I break up the bar into the divided sections.  I break off small chunks from each piece and rub it in my hands to melt.  It doesn’t take long to melt.  It takes the same amount of time it would if you were to apply OIL into your hands and warm it up.  On some occasions, it MIGHT take awhile for it to melt if the bar is too hard.  When that happens, I SQUASH it with my thumb into my palm to break it up quicker.

Anyway, a little bit goes quite a long way.  It doesn’t get absorbed by the skin too quickly.  It sits on the skin nicely.  It gives you the ability to do deep work without sliding all over the place.  You don’t get oil stains on your sheets.  Your client won’t leave looking like a grease ball.  But, your client WILL leave with super soft skin!  

I hope that explains it better.

SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Post by SpiritedJen » Wed May 18, 2005 8:04 am

Thanks for the explanation, I think I get it now! ;D It sounds like a neat option. Do most people make their own or purchase them already made?
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller

Knead2care
Fresh Hands

Post by Knead2care » Wed May 18, 2005 1:37 pm

Thanks Dollz for the recipes. The second one sounds like the one I fiddled with yesterday, it had the coco butter and shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax. It came out fine, no splotchies. It was a little softer than I preferred but I am still experiementing. I did make sure of the temp. 150 when melted and waited a few before pulling it off heat, then put EO's in at 125, worked fine.

I personally have not used these during a massage, only for personal use at home. I am hoping to perfect them a little better and give out as "Thank You's" as an option for clients if they so chose one. But I do have to say, they are wonderful. They do not leave you feeling coated with lotion/oil, and really help with dry skin. They have been a life saver. I like them for my hands too!! Since we wash up so much mine are usually really dry, this has cured that.

Thanks again Dollz for the recipes, and help. Truly appreciated  ;)

Julie
Jules

DoLLz
Registered Member

Post by DoLLz » Fri May 27, 2005 8:29 am

I was just curious if you ever figured out what was causing the discoloration.

Knead2care
Fresh Hands

Post by Knead2care » Sat May 28, 2005 4:54 am

Dollz:

I am not 100% sure, however, I have made 2 other batches since the one that got splotchy and they have turned out fine. I do think I may have added the EO's originally too fast (at too high of a temp) and they possibly had not been mixed all the way through. I am just extra careful to put the EO's in after it has set a bit and really stir them in.

Dollz, do you use deodorized Coco butter or undeodorized. DO you leave them just unscented when you make them? I am looking for something besides EO's to add to them. For an interesting twist.
Jules

SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Post by SpiritedJen » Sat May 28, 2005 5:28 am

It sounds like these are very moisturizing and could be used as a lotion bar correct? For your own personal use, or to sell?
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller

DoLLz
Registered Member

Post by DoLLz » Sat May 28, 2005 9:10 am

Yes, these are lotion bars.  I use them both for personal use and on clients.  I also sell them.  The ones I sell, I actually don't put into candy bar molds.  They are in push-up containers.  They are great for dry, cracked feet and rough elbows.  A little bit goes a long way and lasts awhile.  

As for the cocoa butter, I use regular cocoa butter.  It smells like chocolate!  Yummy!  For "chocolate massage" I make the recipe a lil different by adding MORE cocoa butter and reducing the amount of shea.  Then, just light up some highly scented chocolate candles in the room and massage.

I usually leave everything unscented.  Occasionally, I will add a few drops of essential oil into the mix.

Return to “Spa Techniques”