Commission in a new luxury spa??

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

kooltech
Fresh Hands

Commission in a new luxury spa??

Post by kooltech » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:01 pm

I am a highly qualified and experienced Aesthetician,Electrologist and Laser technician with long working experience internationally.
After a long un employment Recently i have been offered an Aesthetician position(Houston TX)with flat 40% commission with no benefits and I have to take care of my taxes.The basic facial and most services are from 85$ to 100$ and we will be doing facials,mic-derm and body treatments.
The Spa is a full services luxury with latest fixtures and have bath tubs,standing showers and advance equipments.This is a luxury upscale high end spa in a very posh area.
I was wondering if 40% commission and 10% on retail is reasonable while we have to start from scratch with no benefits and no clienteles.
PLEASE guide me and any suggestion so i can to negotiate better.They are not offering any hourly.
I was thinking to ask base plus % but they not agree.
PLEASE friends tell me how much is a fair Commission.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE???

I look forward to hear from you all.
PLEASE HELP.

naturalhealing
Registered Member

Re: Commission in a new luxury spa??

Post by naturalhealing » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:39 am

A fair commission is whatever YOU think is fair. Can you live off of that $? It's not the % that matters. There's many posts here on this subject, you can search for them.

GreenDragonfly

Post by GreenDragonfly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Kooltech,
I remember your previous posts regarding similar questions and responses:
Kooktech wrote:What about if I ask hourly($18-20) for 3 months and then go for 30/40 % commision??
In the period of 3 months I will try my best to build up the clientèle and switch to a commission?
PLZ advice me ASAP.thanks
Kooltech wrote:I honestly told him 2yrs back the last job i quit on $18 hrly.
Greendragonfly wrote: You'd have to know how many people you were going to be seeing regularly if on commission and what the price for the services are and also what your cut would be. I'm sure I am missing some things here as I have never worked for a spa.
Which you now know to be:
Kooltech wrote:i have been offered an Aesthetician position(Houston TX)with flat 40% commission with no benefits and I have to take care of my taxes.The basic facial and most services are from 85$ to 100$ and we will be doing facials,mic-derm and body treatments.
The Spa is a full services luxury with latest fixtures and have bath tubs,standing showers and advance equipments.This is a luxury upscale high end spa in a very posh area.
Greendragonfly wrote:Is this spa the ONLY place hiring in your area? Why not go around and get some interviews and compare what they have to offer.

I'm thinking what is the harm in trying out what they offer you, seeing as you have been unemployed for the last 2 years, anything is better than nothing and I would think you would be somewhat out of practice. From your post, it sounds as if you walked away from earning $18 per hour to make nothing so maybe I am not understanding.
JaeMarie wrote:I can only mimic Green Dragonfly's post, as it's hard to make a suggestion when we don't have all the information (how busy they reasonably expect to be, what they will be charging, how heavily staffed are they starting).

A couple things to keep in mind though. Commission doesn't always mean percentage. I get paid by commission (as a massage therapist, but my point should translate to other spa services) but it's a fixed amount based on the time spent/type of service. Also, a high percentage doesn't necessarily mean more money. Example - getting paid 60% might sound nice, but if they charge $30 for a service, you're getting $18... BUT if they're paying 40% but are instead charging $60 for that service, you'll be making $24 - MORE off the lower percentage. That's why you can't truly make a judgment on a "fair" percentage, unless you know the fees that will be charged. As for picking an hourly rate, I guess it depends on what's considered average for your area.

When all is said and done though, fair is what you are freely agreeing to work for. You may scoff at pay that someone else is happy with, while the next person thinks you've sold yourself short.
In the end, seeing as you have been unemployed for so long, you may want to examine your reasons for turning down any employment in your field that is reasonable.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:18 pm

I know Houston well.

As a rule, there are enough people wanting the jobs in Houston, that negotiation is probably still limited. Although the economy is better than many other places in the US, even during good times there is usually little room for negotiation.

I'd suggest you try to talk to some of the other esthetics practitioners working there if you are wondering if you are being offered the same deal the business normally offers.

40% / no benefits / you do your taxes - is average for the area, even near the Galleria and in River Oaks.

Unless you can afford not to work, with the economy like it is, you may want to consider the job and try to make it work for you. Especially if you have been jobless for a long time, I would think.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Spa Techniques”