Wanting to do facials

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Wanting to do facials

Postby Amberlynnmassage on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:46 am

I am wanting to add facials to my service menu. But not diagnosing, treating, extractions. Just a nice deep cleaning relaxing facial. But i'm clueless about which products are good. Bioelements i have been told is very good. But when i sat down and did my list of products i would need it totaled $450 just to get started. Can some one who does facials point me in the right direction or give me some hints. I'm thinking, cleanse, lip buffer, tonic, exfoliant, mask, moisturize. Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Amberlynnmassage
Fresh Hands

Re: Wanting to do facials

Postby maestra on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 am

Well, you need to be careful because in some states the use of something that exfoliates puts it firmly in the realm of skin care, thus making it part of the cosmetology or aesthetics world.
This can of course, vary by state so check with your state and how it regulates such spa treatment like things.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby squash_blsm on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:20 am

Yes - you would need to be a licensed esthetician to offer facials.

In Ohio it is a 600hr program.

If you want to get your business shut down by practicing without a license (and putting you in a bad position to obtain your license in the future) then go ahead with your plans. :grin:
Seriously though -
Your best bet if you want to start with facials now is to hire someone who IS licensed. And go ahead and contact the Ohio state board to make sure that you have any other appropriate licensing and insurance.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby pear2apple on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:39 pm

If in Ohio you have to be an esthetician to do facials, how do you administer spa treatments then? Or can you not do those? I thought you could get CEUs in some spa treatments to use to supplement your income.
Licensed Massage Therapist at Fringe by Carrie Salon Studio
www.facebook.com/fringebycarrie
www.fringebycarrie.com Toledo, OH 43614
http://www.etsy.com/people/PearsPalette
pear2apple
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:35 pm

There are lots of spa treatments that are not facials. Body wraps and scrubs come to mind.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby pear2apple on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:51 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:There are lots of spa treatments that are not facials. Body wraps and scrubs come to mind.

Ohhhhh so body wraps don't count! I have to do more research!
Licensed Massage Therapist at Fringe by Carrie Salon Studio
www.facebook.com/fringebycarrie
www.fringebycarrie.com Toledo, OH 43614
http://www.etsy.com/people/PearsPalette
pear2apple
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:25 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:There are lots of spa treatments that are not facials. Body wraps and scrubs come to mind.

Again, please check with your state cosmetology board as the body wraps & scrubs also come under the cosmetology (as skin care) board in my state. I just hate to see anybody get in trouble because they are doing something not in the scope of practice of a MT in their state.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Return to Spa Techniques