Lead Therapist

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Lead Therapist

Postby sandman on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 pm

I recently had the spa owner tell me that the Lead Therapist position at a spa here in California gets registered with the state board (maybe it wasn't the state board but some other official-sounding entity). Can anyone back this up or was he blowing smoke?
sandman
Fresh Hands

Re: Lead Therapist

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:53 am

BS
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:53 am

Some cities may require the "managers" to register and be licensed as facility managers, but it is not a state issue.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby sandman on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:03 pm

hmm.. I'm in San Francisco and I'm still not quite sure. I asked him if he'd gotten me all registered yet he said that he forgot and he'll get to working on it. I'm not sure to believe him or not. Does anyone else have any insight?
sandman
Fresh Hands

Postby JaeMarie on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Honestly, R&R does business in many cities in many states, so in doing so, has to be aware of laws and regulations. While understandably you should never take one person's word for it, in this case I might be inclined to do just that LOL.

Not being familiar with the way things work in California, if you want to check for yourself I'd just plan on spending some time making phone calls. I'd probably start by contacting https://www.camtc.org/ - California Massage Therapy Council (that's the first site Google gave me.) Another place to try would be any professional organization you might belong to.

Good luck! :)
JaeMarie

Postby sandman on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:22 pm

He said it not so much that you "have to" but that you "get to" kind of thing. At the time he was trying to coerce me into taking the LT position and I wasn't sure if I was up for it. Sorry if there was a confusion. I'm going to try to do some more digging later today. Appreciate your responses!
sandman
Fresh Hands

Postby kathryn on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm in San Diego and I second what R&R said. Any mt has to have a license of some sort but there's no special one for "Lead Therapists". You should ask the spa owner to clarify what he is talking about.
kathryn
Registered Member

Return to Spa Techniques