So now he's actually considering adding spa stuff!

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Timedess
Registered Member

Re: So now he's actually considering adding spa stuff!

Post by Timedess » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Oh, Shiva-- no hijack at all! I want to watch those videos-- I might wait till he can watch them with me though.

Mel, thanks for the info on IDI. It seems worth looking into!

I've come to realize, after an un-related but revealing conversation, that his current clients don't WANT "spa-type stuff". They come to us because they want to FEEL BETTER. So anything we add/do should have much therapeutic value, or we'll end up having to "reinvent" ourselves-- which we do not want to do!
~Renee

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Noticable effective results, less wear and tear on the body, I'd recommend craniosacral. You mentioned Upledger was coming to the area - was that for craniosacral? I will say that craniosacral is such a light touch that it can be difficult to get the head around if you're used to deeper work. I've done 4 of the Upledger CST courses CSTI, CSTII, SERI, SERII, and I'd say I realy only 'got' the previous course about half way through the next course. It was only after SERI that I felt like I was up to doing a full hour CST treatment rather than just 'using CST techniques'. It's definitely much easier on the body and hands and wrists. I've spoken to quite a lot of people and it's a fairly common experience with the training. Each course I did had quite a few retakes on it too - always a sign that people feel like they missed something.

A lot of people think they need a deep massage because of their tight shoulders or back or whatever, but what can have the biggest effect can be stress reduction, because of the stress they are holding their back/shoulders/whatever. 5 min of a good scalp and face massage at the end of a treatment can have amazing results, but you usually have to learn a 30min routine so you can get the secrets of the moves then throw out the ones you don't feel comfortable doing (hand size, the way the thumb sticks out, finger pressure, etc).

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:52 am

I just want to throw my 2 cents on TWO things in the above discussions ...

First - the recommendations to explore the light touch therapies - CranioSacral & Lymphatic Drainage.
The time and investment to train is high - but if it's a good fit for him, will extend his working life dramatically.
I have LDT I and CST up to SERI - but I NEVER offer the sessions by themselves...the work is incorporated into what I already do.
(Massage Envy has been touting CST since they opened - however most of the locations don't have staff trained in this...the ones that do, the therapists are usually CST I, not advanced practitioners)

Second - I really picked up on your comment about ONE price for sessions. Honey - I think it's time to raise those rates on Deep Tissue work! It is harder physically AND mentally. If his schedule is full (or too full for his body) then that is a CLEAR sign from the Universe that he needs to raise those rates. $5 to $10 increase isn't much...it's scary, but do-able.
:D
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Been a busy weekend. Few things I want to say:

1) I actually came back to say that I've checked with our insurer (ABMP), and they will NOT cover "homemade product" (other than bulk-purchased and repackaged commercial product and essential oils). So making my own is out, unless I get my herbalist certification and get insured with that somewhere-- not gonna happen, at least not for A Very Long Time.

However, we HAVE recently (as in, this morning!) discussed making space on a wall for a product display setup. This won't happen for A Long Time itself (note the lack of "Very" in there), but he's still thinking about additional streams of revenue. This is good! Our neighbor in this building has something called slatwall in his little warehouse section, and he has all sorts of neat hooks and bins and shelves to go with it. He also had a fabulous CD holder that fit perfectly in there, which he said he got at IKEA and was extremely reasonably priced-- that would be AWESOME for selling music CD's! The company he got it from is a local place (well, down in Dallas, but that's still "local" esp. if we can find someone with a truck to help us pick it up), and I was surprised how inexpensive a 4'x8' piece of the stuff is! I don't even know if we need a piece that big! Of course, the truly frugal way to start out would be to just get a set of nice bookshelves somewhere (my favorite thrift store!) and use that for display, and take the profits from the first sales to save up for the slatwall and hooks/shelves/etc..

2) Yes, Upledger is coming for CST in November. I think that I am more "passionate" about it than he is, because maybe I have more ideas of whom it could help. I recently learned that CST (more advanced, I suppose) is good for Autistic children, and there is a school for them literally right down the street, half a block away (we can walk there)! I've also met someone who works for a counselor who works with autistic children, AND for a few years I've known of an equine program that works with all sorts of special needs children. This means something to me, way deep down inside. "Serendipity". I think Dh could use CST very successfully in his own practice, with the population with whom he works already in his pain relief/therapeutic sessions, while I would *love* to get educated enough to be able to use CST with pregnant women and children (special needs or not!).

3) Squashy, I hear you about the price increase. I really do. We have just moved, though, and out area has been hit hard by the recession *and* the drought. We can't raise prices right now. Perhaps after the first of the year or so... after we've had time to 1) get some additional training under our belts, like CS1 and we're also (come Hell or high water!) going to attend Walt's MFR class when he comes here in March, and 2) hopefully our area will have had some time to recover. Many of our clients are suffering because of this drought, whether by being unable to feed their livestock, or not being able to book activities due to the heat (which is why our son hasn't had any work in over a month!), or whatever. We'll also need time to get used to the concept-- I need to learn Spa-Booker better, and so will he, and we've just done things this way for so long, it'll take an actual "act of the will" to wrap our brains around a change like that. Besides, our clients *like* that we don't charge extra for... hmmm, er... well, "extras". Good point, there, although since we don't actually do any PRODUCT ($$) "extras" it hasn't seemed so bad. But I promise, we will discuss it and think about it. Too many changes happening around here to actually DO that right now, though. My brain is already on overload!

At any rate, we have a good start going! He's thinking and actually starting to wrap his brain around the idea of earning money in ways OTHER than 'working himself to death", and that is *always* a good thing. Our first Qigong classes (we did two "intro" classes on Saturday) went really well. He was literally "walking on air" the rest of the weekend. This is what he wants to eventually transition into full time. *Eventually*.
~Renee

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Timedess wrote:...that would be AWESOME for selling music CD's!
Sugo music has wonderfully made stuff. They allow for retail as well. You can find them here:
I've never retailed their music, but have thought about it on and off for years.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 pm

We use *two* CD's in massaging; both with an "oriental"-ish feel. Dh is *very* picky about his music, and I just like these two. We're not very adventurous, but we've never had *anyone* complain about hearing the same music for each session. I don't know that they even notice the music, honestly. The last massage I did, I actually forgot to turn the CD player on until halfway through, and of course by then it was too late to worry about it. But it would be *nice* to explore and to have some deep calming/de-stressing music to offer, wouldn't it? Give us an excuse to explore. I'll check out that link tomorrow-- when it's more appropriate to listen (kids getting ready for bed now and all that jazz). Thanks, Pueppi!
~Renee

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Post by TouchofGrace » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:52 am

Timedess wrote:Been a busy weekend. Few things I want to say:

1) I actually came back to say that I've checked with our insurer (ABMP), and they will NOT cover "homemade product" (other than bulk-purchased and repackaged commercial product and essential oils). So making my own is out, unless I get my herbalist certification and get insured with that somewhere-- not gonna happen, at least not for A Very Long Time.

However, we HAVE recently (as in, this morning!) discussed making space on a wall for a product display setup. This won't happen for A Long Time itself (note the lack of "Very" in there), but he's still thinking about additional streams of revenue. This is good! Our neighbor in this building has something called slatwall in his little warehouse section, and he has all sorts of neat hooks and bins and shelves to go with it. He also had a fabulous CD holder that fit perfectly in there, which he said he got at IKEA and was extremely reasonably priced-- that would be AWESOME for selling music CD's! The company he got it from is a local place (well, down in Dallas, but that's still "local" esp. if we can find someone with a truck to help us pick it up), and I was surprised how inexpensive a 4'x8' piece of the stuff is! I don't even know if we need a piece that big! Of course, the truly frugal way to start out would be to just get a set of nice bookshelves somewhere (my favorite thrift store!) and use that for display, and take the profits from the first sales to save up for the slatwall and hooks/shelves/etc..

2) Yes, Upledger is coming for CST in November. I think that I am more "passionate" about it than he is, because maybe I have more ideas of whom it could help. I recently learned that CST (more advanced, I suppose) is good for Autistic children, and there is a school for them literally right down the street, half a block away (we can walk there)! I've also met someone who works for a counselor who works with autistic children, AND for a few years I've known of an equine program that works with all sorts of special needs children. This means something to me, way deep down inside. "Serendipity". I think Dh could use CST very successfully in his own practice, with the population with whom he works already in his pain relief/therapeutic sessions, while I would *love* to get educated enough to be able to use CST with pregnant women and children (special needs or not!).

3) Squashy, I hear you about the price increase. I really do. We have just moved, though, and out area has been hit hard by the recession *and* the drought. We can't raise prices right now. Perhaps after the first of the year or so... after we've had time to 1) get some additional training under our belts, like CS1 and we're also (come Hell or high water!) going to attend Walt's MFR class when he comes here in March, and 2) hopefully our area will have had some time to recover. Many of our clients are suffering because of this drought, whether by being unable to feed their livestock, or not being able to book activities due to the heat (which is why our son hasn't had any work in over a month!), or whatever. We'll also need time to get used to the concept-- I need to learn Spa-Booker better, and so will he, and we've just done things this way for so long, it'll take an actual "act of the will" to wrap our brains around a change like that. Besides, our clients *like* that we don't charge extra for... hmmm, er... well, "extras". Good point, there, although since we don't actually do any PRODUCT ($$) "extras" it hasn't seemed so bad. But I promise, we will discuss it and think about it. Too many changes happening around here to actually DO that right now, though. My brain is already on overload!

At any rate, we have a good start going! He's thinking and actually starting to wrap his brain around the idea of earning money in ways OTHER than 'working himself to death", and that is *always* a good thing. Our first Qigong classes (we did two "intro" classes on Saturday) went really well. He was literally "walking on air" the rest of the weekend. This is what he wants to eventually transition into full time. *Eventually*.

Renee... just adding in my two cents about the price rates. I hurt myself by keeping my prices down to what "I thought" people could afford. People are going to give what we expect them to give. I know that the very same people who we 'feel' for and want to give breaks to are the same ones who will take the money we saved them and buy a pizza or burger for dinner (in most cases). Think of it this way.. if someone calls your office and asks if your husband specializes in deep tissue and you say yes and it's the same price as Swedish. Or if they ask if you do pre-natal and you state that even after the extra time and money you put into that, you charge the same as Swedish, that is going to transfer to them into 2nd rate service. People have a tendency to choose the provider who charges more money because in their mind, they must be better. It would be a good business move to up those prices on Deep Tissue and Pre-natal and the clients who are coming regularly to your husband who know how hard he works on them, will not balk at the price increase. Important thing is to hold your head up, look them straight in the eye, and tell them that even with the price increase, they are still getting a very good deal. Take it from the one who has learned this the hard way and is still learning.
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks for your thoughts, Sandra. I promise, I am taking these ideas into consideration. I just don't want to change too much, too fast. OTOH, it might be a good thing to consider this and have the new system in place for when the new web site goes up. I'll bring it to him for consideration, and let him decide. If I can get S-B set up, it'll be easier for him to just check ppl in and out if he already knows what they want.

Would you charge more for cupping? Also, we don't really DO Swedish massage. So it seems a moot point to charge more for other stuff, since everything we do is "specialized" in some way. KWIM? I have a hard time figuring out how to price the "extras"....
~Renee

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Post by TouchofGrace » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:56 am

Maybe you can pull up prices from a competitor near you. Just because you don't do Swedish doesn't mean you can't figure pricing from a scale of what other's charge for Swedish and for Cupping, Deep Tissue, etc. However, I have a competitor nearby who only charges $30 for an hour deep tissue massage. I charge double that rate, but I still have clients drive from his town to my town for massage. It's not about price, it's about gaining their loyalty, and there is nothing wrong with charging enough money to stay in business while we are doing that. Would I increase everyone on my client list? Knowing me, probably not. There are those that I will give a break to no matter what, but if you have your new clients come in at a higher price, you have a cushion to give those breaks. Ok.. I've used up my two cents. lol

It's moving out day here and I have a lot to get done yet. I am not feeling bad though... I am soo excited and things are working out so well... Later Gators :)
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 pm

I talked with him about prices this morning, and he pointed out that our prices *are* very fair, for our geographical and demographical area. This isn't about that, it's about the fact that he has finally begun to "see with his own eyes" the whys and hows of adding extra "streams of income". We actually charge more than you do for an hour, Sandra. ;)
~Renee

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 pm

TouchofGrace wrote:Think of it this way.. if someone calls your office and asks if your husband specializes in deep tissue and you say yes and it's the same price as Swedish. Or if they ask if you do pre-natal and you state that even after the extra time and money you put into that, you charge the same as Swedish, that is going to transfer to them into 2nd rate service. People have a tendency to choose the provider who charges more money because in their mind, they must be better. It would be a good business move to up those prices on Deep Tissue and Pre-natal...
Not to be a contrarian, but, I charge the same fee for all of the forms of massage work I provide. And, I actually put forth as much energy output with my swedish massage as I do with my deep tissue work - albeit a different kind of energy (and more physical force with the deep tissue work). At least for me, a physical force can be equal to a mental and emotional force - and each type of session takes one or the other from me. So, I can understand why someone may not want to increase prices based on the massage form.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Spa Techniques”