Adding 'spa services' to Menu- Are My Fees Out of Line?

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Adding 'spa services' to Menu- Are My Fees Out of Line?

Postby jcslmt on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:13 am

If everything goes according to plan I will begin an as-needed lease agreement for studio space on Monday. We've discussed terms and everything is agreeable there, just waiting to take a tour of the room on Saturday and sign the agreement. I've been exclusively mobile since I finished massage school except for family and friends I feel close enough to to have them in my home. {read: the ones who don't care if my kids come back from the park early and start arguing on the other end of the house} I've done foot soaks, scrubs and single-area wrap treatments for those people but not the general population. So I've not been charging extra for them since it was more to help me keep my skills fresh, kwim?

So I looked at the cost and estimated cost-per-use of each treatment and this is what I came up with. Please feel free to let me know if the prices are over-inflated.

{note: Where I'll be practicing, the average 60 minute massage rate is $50, which is also my base-rate}

Paraffin Hand OR Foot Add-on: $5, Both $8

Foot Soak: Free with 60 minute treatment, $5 with any other treatment.

Scrubs: $5 single-area as an add-on, $15 for whole-body with 60 minute massage, $30 as a stand-alone treatment

Am I pricing these too high or no? The only other massage business in the entire area {two county area} offering these services is a country club type setting charging at least twice as much if not more. The studio I'll be using is a single room, second floor walk-up in downtown so I don't feel comfortable meeting their rates.

Wraps: $60 - Includes 30 minute post-treatment massage
jcslmt
Fresh Hands

Re: Adding 'spa services' to Menu- Are My Fees Out of Line?

Postby Taoist on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 am

I don't think they're too high at all. Very reasonable, actually.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:30 am

Your wording isn't totally clear for me. How long does a wrap take? Is it 60 minutes PLUS 30 minutes of massage, or 60 minutes total, with half of that being massage? Same with the scrub. Is the stand alone treatment 30 minutes? or....

If your prices are based on $50 for massage and spa treatments, with some added price for the spa treatments, that is reasonable. You also want to take into consideration any prep or clean-up you have to do. That's another reason why spa treatments sometimes cost more. You need to not only account for the cost of product, but how much extra time you're spending setting up and cleaning up, and extra laundry, etc. I usually schedule a bit more time in between spa treatments to account for this extra time, so this means I can do less treatments in a day.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:57 am

Your pricing is awesome as a PROMOTION or introductory special only.

A full body scrub is usually a minimum $45 add-on or min $60 service in my area.

If your paraffin includes a light scrub/exfoliation plus hydrating lotion, you could double the price and still be very reasonable.

Foot soak - Okay if you want to offer it and you want to add this additional time to a treatment - it could be your signature treatment - what makes you stand out from the rest... Otherwise for a freebie, I would consider this a promotion only - your add on again could be double that.

Scrubs - I would make this at least a $25 add-on for full body and at least $45 stand alone...how much time are you allowing? A full body scrub, product removal and hydrating lotion takes 45-60 minutes.

Body wraps should be at least what you charge for massage as a stand alone - even if you are spending 30 minute with the wrap plus 30 min massage your price should be at least 20% higher (product cost). So your $60 is very reasonable - IF your are only taking an hour, if you are taking more time - I would probably bump that up accordingly.
My wraps are 60 min -10 min to apply product, 20-30 min cooking, 10 -20 min product removal and application of lotion.

You will always do far more massages than body treatments - but they are fun to do and you can do all kinds of seasonal specialties...
I designed a Margarita Night for the last place I worked - scrubs, wraps and massages - it was tons of fun...plus they had real margaritas.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby Timedess on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

I just wanted to bump this because we're discussing similar things too, and I find the information helpful. Good luck, jcs!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby jcslmt on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am probably worrying far too much about over charging. This:
http://www.templespaatthelanding.com/bodyrenew.php is the only place in town that advertises wraps and scrubs and it's as I said earlier a super-ritzy place for the area it's in.

The scrubs and wraps- they're based on 30 minutes for the scrub & 30 minutes of massage and 40 minutes of wrap application/bake/removal and 20 minutes of lotion/cream application. The price difference for me as it pertains to the room rental situation is negligible, I will be boxing up linens and re-useable items such as thermal blankets, brushes etc to take home for deep cleaning. The only major difference should be a bit of extra trash to cart down to the dumpster at the end and a bit of extra time ensuring no mud or scrub material seeped through the coverings onto the table or onto the floor. I will be sweeping the floor after every treatment anyways.

I don't sign the papers for a couple more days so I'll be doing some more thinking and speaking with my mentor to get her thoughts as well. Please keep the thoughts coming, I appreciated hearing from those who have been in the beginning stages of their career and have the experience to help me as I am in that place now despite being nearly 3 years out of massage school.

ETA: I may not be on tomorrow. I'm not ignoring the thread, I have an interview at 1:30 EDT for a part-time massage therapist position at a chiropractic office about 10 minutes from the studio space. Positive thoughts and prayers appreciated on that as well. A guaranteed paycheck would be a very welcome thing at this point in my journey, and one that gives me the freedom to build a clientele of my own at the same time is a dream I am hoping to have accomplished in the next 24 hours.
jcslmt
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:02 pm

jcslmt wrote:The price difference for me as it pertains to the room rental situation is negligible, I will be boxing up linens and re-useable items such as thermal blankets, brushes etc to take home for deep cleaning. The only major difference should be a bit of extra trash to cart down to the dumpster at the end and a bit of extra time ensuring no mud or scrub material seeped through the coverings onto the table or onto the floor. I will be sweeping the floor after every treatment anyways.

It does not matter how adding these treatments affects how much rent you pay. It matters how much time you spend. If you are making $50/hr and you spend an extra 15 minutes per treatment on boxing up supplies, taking things out to the trash, prepping the table with blankets, linens, plastic, buying product, and "deep cleaning" at home, that is time you are spending working that you need to charge the client for. 15 minutes is equal to $12.50 at your pay scale. So your treatment should cost $62.50 (or more if you find out that you are spending more than 15 minutes prepping for each treatment), PLUS whatever the product costs, including shipping and time spent ordering product, researching product, mixing product. So I'm guessing a 60 minute spa treatment should be no less than $65.

For each hour spent massaging most of us spend around 1 hour of extra work doing the following: marketing, cleaning, paperwork, taxes, education, and self-care. These are very general categories, I could elaborate on each one with a list of duties. If literally ALL I DID was walk in a do a massage, it would cost a lot less than my hourly rate. That's one reason why spas pay less. They are doing all the overhead, the therapist just does the hourly work. So you need to charge for everything you're doing, not just the time spent at the table.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby jcslmt on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 pm

I definitely follow what you're saying, and I agree. My husband says what's holding me back is fear. And he's probably right. He usually is. After nearly 17 years he knows me well.

So somewhere in the middle between my current rates and the spa's rates is what I'm currently thinking. I mean obviously I'm not offering the same level of service environment they are. Infrared sonic spa, room service to the treatment room, mineral bath etc. But I am alot more centrally located. Parking for longer treatments could be an issue I will have that they don't though. There's a parking garage nearby but they don't do any vendor or store comps at all and all the rest of the parking is typical downtown 2 hour limit parking. So I probably need to take that into account as well. The garage is reasonable, about $5 for under 3 hours. It's about a block away from the street-level entrance to the stairs up to the floor the studio is on. It's not exactly valet service but it's also not a 10 minute drive from downtown in typical traffic.

Gah. Looks like I've got some more thinking to do tonight.
jcslmt
Fresh Hands

Postby squash_blsm on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:35 am

LOL - Don't stress too much!

Several colleagues suggested to me (as I was agonizing over my menu pricing) to put your prices a little higher than you are comfortable with. From that rate you can always offer seasonal specials and promotions - or if needed lower the pricing later.

Some people use a shower curtain liner on the table before layering the linens - or you can buy a plastic cover.

Shiva makes a great point about factoring the extra time and work involved IN a treatment and AFTER a treatment.

e.g. I charge more for a Hot Stone Massage - I have to come in early to prepare and heat stones, set up supplies, and wash and re-sort the stones after each treatment.

I use extra linens for scrubs and wraps, lots of hand towels - and those are WET, so you end up bringing home a load of laundry that has to go right in the washer. If your wrap is a mud you have to use colored towels - those have to be washed seperately. And something always manages to stain my white towels. So there is the expense of the extra linens needed. Solar Blankets are $10-$20, plastic sheeting is $1.50/ea, Product cost $1-$5 per treatment...it really can add up.

Don't go too low in your pricing - even if you don't get a lot of bookings. It isn't you or your pricing...body treatments aren't as popular as massage or facials. But I WANT to offer them...I make them as nice as possible...and every week or so I get a booking. And the reality is that often a small spa or solo practitioner provides a MUCH nicer service than the big ritzy spas, for FAR less money.
If you can afford it - go get a scrub and wrap somewhere and check it out.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby Mila on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 pm

I find your prices a bit low, considering you`ll have to wash a ton of towels after those scrubs and buy products.
At a place where I work in San Francisco (it`s not really a spa, more like a Massage Center), we offer the following add-ons (note, they do not add time to 60min massage, they just become part of it):
- foot scrub (3 towels, scrub, essential oils) $25
- aromatherapy (essential oils) $20
- full body scrub (5 towels, scrub) $30
- hot stone (2 towels, stones) $45

These things are messy and I find that they take time away from the much needed bodywork. I think they would work much better if they were a part of a 90 minutes massage. Especially Hot Stone.
Mila
Fresh Hands

Return to Spa Techniques