Halloween Spa Treatments

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Post Reply
kclark3858
Fresh Hands
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 am

Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by kclark3858 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Does anybody do anything special for Halloween? I just bought some Keyano pumpkin spice scrub & Cream. Thought I could do foot srub & massage special. I would love to hear any ideas about what everybody else is doing.

User avatar
shivashiva
Registered Member
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by shivashiva » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 am

Hm. I don't normally think of "Halloween" as something I want to associate with the spa. I prefer to do fall special treatments or "Harvest" or something. We do a Fall Harvest special body scrub & wrap...cranberry pomegranate sugar scrub and pumpkin cream body wrap.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats

User avatar
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Mid Atlantic region

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am

We don't do Halloween but rather fall specials. A pumpkin peel facial and massage with milk and honey body butter, the nail tech does a hot apple pedi, and we also offer a pomegranate and cranberry body scrub and massage.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

User avatar
squash_blsm
Moderator
Posts: 1111
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by squash_blsm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 am

I usually just keep it to "Fall" Treatments too...

I love that Hot Apple Pedi!

But for Halloween specifically you could look at pumpkin treatments and Chocolate treatments for "treats"
The Keyano pumpkin scrub gives me contact dermatitis when I use it, and I haven't used the butter cream in that scent,but I have had no problem with their chocolate butter cream.

Skin Script Rx just came out with a Cranberry Sugar Enzyme and a Vanilla Clove masque that I am looking at for fall facials
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

User avatar
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member
Posts: 1921
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:06 am
Contact:

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:33 pm

I find the seasonal spa treatment schtick to be overdone and time for retirement.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

maestra
Site Admin
Posts: 3886
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:24 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by maestra » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 pm

So then RelaxandRejuvenate, what do you suggest to keep guests interested in coming in to the spa more regularly?
What do you think... is "the next big thing" in day spas?
What do you think would get the client to take action and book now?
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

User avatar
squash_blsm
Moderator
Posts: 1111
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by squash_blsm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:24 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:I find the seasonal spa treatment schtick to be overdone and time for retirement.
I think your business is a little different.

My clients LOVE my specials and ask about it if I haven't put anything up yet.
My christmas promo last year was so popular I had to add one of the treatments to my permanent menu because I had clients asking for it for months.

Besides - having specials gives me the opportunity to try out new products, services, and equipment. And changing things up makes it much more fun for me!
And if it's not fun... well, why bother ? :D

(although - to partly concede your point...I am soooo over pumpkin peels!)
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

User avatar
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member
Posts: 1921
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:06 am
Contact:

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 am

squash_blsm wrote: I think your business is a little different.
We do run 5 bricks and mortar spas, including 4 that focus on travellers, who are a perfect market for seasonal treatments to coincide with their visit.
maestra wrote:So then RelaxandRejuvenate, what do you suggest to keep guests interested in coming in to the spa more regularly?
What do you think... is "the next big thing" in day spas?
What do you think would get the client to take action and book now?
If I knew what the next big thing is in day spas, I would not be telling the world!

Too often, seasonal treatments are gimmicky and not based on a clear strategy.

"Spas love treatments like pumpkin facials and cranberry scrubs for fall and cinnamon massages in winter because they offer something new to their menus—a special of the day, so to speak. But unless your summer papaya facial is coming straight from the spa Cuisinart, you’re just getting slathered in a spa product from a jar that’s available year-round."
http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2009/08/0 ... r-pay-for/

Why are you adding them?
squash_blsm wrote:My clients LOVE my specials and ask about it if I haven't put anything up yet.
My christmas promo last year was so popular I had to add one of the treatments to my permanent menu because I had clients asking for it for months.
Sounds like for your clientele, seasonal items should be on the menu year-round. As you saw, a treatment that works is what should be on the menu, regardless of its seasonality. If Corn Husk scrubs have a benefit to your client, why deny them just because the season changes?
squash_blsm wrote:And changing things up makes it much more fun for me!
Spa treatments should be about the clients, and the benefits to them, not to the technician. I can think of lots of fun things that won't deliver any benefits to the client, but I don't think it is right to ask them to pay for my amusement.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

User avatar
squash_blsm
Moderator
Posts: 1111
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Halloween Spa Treatments

Post by squash_blsm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:47 am

I think that God put us here to live full out and to bring our authentic self into being...and that can be through a business.
I believe that the best life is lived with love and joy.
If ones work brings that joy to yourself and others, well then...yeah!

I would NEVER do any treatment just because a client wants it....like "snail" facials...yuk.
My clients are my clients because they see that I love my work and what I choose to provide them has never been "gimmicky". I have quality products and great equipment and technology that I believe in.
So what if it's fun? (ya scrooge)

I think that someone who has a business that does not bring meaning, purpose and joy into their own lives in addition to others lives has already missed the boat and is living only half a life! :D

Have some fun every once in awhile (jeez).
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

Post Reply

Return to “Spa Techniques”