Body Wraps and Detox

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Body Wraps and Detox

Postby JasonE on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:45 pm

I've been inundated with people that want to tell me about their wonderful body wraps. They have lots of pictures showing results and a ton of glowing testimonials. In truth, it sounds lovely until... they claim that their body wraps "detox" the body. Over and over, they always claim that their wraps "work" by "detoxing" the body. Never once have I seen one of these companies offer an alternative explanation for the positive results shown in the before and after pics posted on their web sites and Facebook pages.

My problem with that? It's a load of crap. :smt013 There is no scientific evidence indicating that body wraps (even those loaded with essential oils and other natural ingredients) can significantly affect the body's natural detoxification processes. From what I've learned about cellular biology and biochemistry, such claims are essentially impossible. I have repeatedly asked these companies and their supporters to provide me with some bit of evidence showing how their claims MIGHT be possible, but not one of them has ever done so.

The sad thing is, with all their lovely testimonials and pictures, they could drop the whole "detox" claim and simply sell based on perceived results alone. Instead, however, they are choosing to brazenly lie in order to sell their products. Because such products are largely unregulated, there seems to be little incentive to be honest about their products.

If you sell/provide body wraps, please do not use "detox" claims in your sales pitch. If you have evidence to support such claims (i.e. scientific research; testimonials and pictures do not provide objective verifiable evidence of sufficient quality), please post it here in reply.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Body Wraps and Detox

Postby squash_blsm on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:01 am

People have been using muds, clays, poultices, and herbal packs for centuries.

While I am not defending some of these claims...I am certainly no scientist or researcher, I DO believe that these traditional alternative therapies have lasted for a reason.

The "proof" may be more in how the people feel afterwards...and anecdotal and personal experience are what counts most with a lot of people.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby pueppi on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am

I agree with s_b that traditional alternative therapies have lasted for a reason.

My only concern with complaints of no scientific evidence from a 21st century research study, is that there are just not enough dollars to go around to provide research studies in every needed aspect of holistic work. Additionally, most individuals in the allopathic realms don't want to know about any forms of holistic medicine anyway. So, manytimes, to the allopaths, anything that is not prooven by our new research methods simply must not work (and any suggestion that the oral history provided by ancestors/healers is taken as bull-larkey) and their querys can be taken to an extreme.

Many of us provide work that is not "scientifically" proven, and yet we see results on a regular basis. Our allopathic friends may appreciate this, and then again they may not. So, if you are bringing an allopathic bias with you and may also well be using knowlege within your understanding of bichemistry --- at the same time, you may have to be open to the consideration that you may not live long enough to see the scientific evidence you feel you need in order to feel comfortable providing a certain type of therapy.

I can only suggest that while you discount the description of the process of muds, clays and/or botanicals vehemently, you consider making a more open statement such as "I feel like it is a load of crap."

I don't provide wraps. But, I've certainly had some amazing effects with them. I prefer to use myself as the guinea pig in these circumstances, when I don't have any reason to think something would be beneficial. I have found that for my body, a clay or mud wrap doesn't do a thing. But, a seaweed wrap makes me feel like I just stepped onto a new planet. I have no idea as to if it "detoxed" me or not, and I really don't care. I'll take a seaweed wrap any day of the year when I'm feeling lousy. Something certainly happens.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby kathryn on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Agreed Jason, I also get tired of seeing ads for wraps claiming not only detox but that they make you lose weight. The images shown are pretty dramatic, but you have to wonder how long it lasts. In my opinion, the fat just gets molded a different way.

I do body wraps and scrubs in my practice and tout it for what I know it does, make the skin soft and relaxes the nervous system. I don't mind if folks want to advertise wraps, but to make outlandish claims and then sucker other mt's into becoming distributors -- on the claims that the mt who sells them will make a lot of $$ is just wrong.
kathryn
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 am

squash_blsm wrote:People have been using muds, clays, poultices, and herbal packs for centuries.

While I am not defending some of these claims...I am certainly no scientist or researcher, I DO believe that these traditional alternative therapies have lasted for a reason.

The "proof" may be more in how the people feel afterwards...and anecdotal and personal experience are what counts most with a lot of people.

While these therapies may have lasted for centuries and make people feel good, that doesn't necessarily mean that they "detox" the clients. The term detox is thrown around a lot without any physiological proof.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby JasonE on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:53 pm

kathryn wrote:Agreed Jason, I also get tired of seeing ads for wraps claiming not only detox but that they make you lose weight. The images shown are pretty dramatic, but you have to wonder how long it lasts. In my opinion, the fat just gets molded a different way.

I do body wraps and scrubs in my practice and tout it for what I know it does, make the skin soft and relaxes the nervous system. I don't mind if folks want to advertise wraps, but to make outlandish claims and then sucker other mt's into becoming distributors -- on the claims that the mt who sells them will make a lot of $$ is just wrong.

THAT sounds like a great way to handle it. Sell the product without making stuff up. Love it! :grin:
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby truepeacenik on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am

In one room at the spa, the owners have a body wrap advert/poster. (Side note, advertisements are not decor)
It has detox in the small print.

It struck me last week that detox= sweat.
And that is, technically, detoxification.
truepeacenik
Registered Member

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 pm

I offer mud wraps, have 3 different types of mud/clay I offer. I've had someone recently want me to perform and retail their dramatic weight loss plastic wraps in my office, which I'm not doing. I don't do retail and I don't want to do those wraps.

I'm honest with my clients, I tell them that any difference they see will not be dramatic and will only be temporary. I tell them it's a SKIN treatment vs a BODY treatment. Muds do detoxify the skin, the clay ones can absorb oil (which is why as an aesthetician, I will use a clay mask on someone with oily skin) and temporarily tighten the skin. Another one I use is very hydrating and nice for dry, sensitive skin, but I tell them the truth and tell them also that anyone who tells them they're going to lose a lot of weight is scamming them. If being wrapped in plastic made you really lose weight, I'd be buying stock and walking around in Saran Wrap 24/7.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 pm

tranquilspirit2006 wrote: If being wrapped in plastic made you really lose weight, I'd be buying stock and walking around in Saran Wrap 24/7.

:lol: :lol: :smt007 Loved this!!! :smt007 :lol: :lol:
moogie
Site Admin

Return to Spa Techniques