New Therapist Starting At A Spa

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

New Therapist Starting At A Spa

Postby alleycat_lady on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the boards and a new therapist. After getting licensed I decided to start working at a spa to get some experience. I eventually want to work in chronic pain relief. I was so happy to land a part time job (working 2 days). However I was bummed that on my first days there I only had one client a day. I expected a spa to be a little busier, but I think they focus more on hair treatments. I am trying to build clients by offering foot massages to clients while the stylists are doing their hair. I'm extremely grateful that I am getting paid hourly while I get started to build regular clients. But I am worried that after a few months I still won't have the clients I need to support myself financially.

So, experienced spa people, is this just a part of the normal process of starting out? Thanks for all your help.
alleycat_lady
Fresh Hands

Re: New Therapist Starting At A Spa

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Sounds like this might be more like a hair salon with a treatment room or two than a spa.

Any job in the massage world tends to be random, until you build your own clientele in your own business where you control the schedule. And even then it can be inexplicably slow or slammed! Just the nature of the beast, I am afraid.

Howeverm ask to see the schedule for the past 6 months for the days of the week that you work to see if the average of all the randomness is something worth waiting for.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Return to Spa Techniques