Supplies? Website, Stores, etc?

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Supplies? Website, Stores, etc?

Postby Arete on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 am

This may be a dumb question :smt017, but I want to do spa treatments for dry rooms, like salt glows and body wraps.
Where can I get the plastic sheeting and space blankets (the ones with the blue side and the reflective side)?
Vegetable brushes, bowls, spatulas etc. Plus how do I clean the space blanket and brushes?
I know of massagewarehouse.com to get a few things, but I've haven't seen space blankets.
Can anyone recommend books for spa treatments? :oops:
Can I charge more for treatments if I used organic sugar and sea salt scrubs?
What size tub would be good for giving foot scrubs?
Arete
Fresh Hands

Re: Supplies? Website, Stores, etc?

Postby moogie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 am

Arete wrote:This may be a dumb question :smt017,

No such thing as a dumb question! :altwink:

Where can I get the plastic sheeting

I usually go to my local hardward store and buy plastic sheeting that is used as paint drops. The size I buy is big enough to cut in 1/2 and get 2 uses out of one sheet.

and space blankets (the ones with the blue side and the reflective side)?

I got mine online, don't remember where but if you google it (I think thermal space blankets?) you should find lots of spa supply stores online that sell them. You might even be able to find them in the camping supply dept.

Vegetable brushes, bowls, spatulas etc.

While you can certainly buy these from online spa supply stores, I bought mine in either the hardware or kitchen dept. in my local store.

Plus how do I clean the space blanket and brushes?

The blanket can be cleaned using a sanitizing spray cleaner and a clean towel. Spray it on and wipe it off. I actually throw the brushes in with the laundry and wash them in the washing machine. Just make sure you don't accidentally put them in the dryer.

You can charge whatever you feel is an appropriate price.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby Arete on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 am

moogie wrote:
Arete wrote:This may be a dumb question :smt017,

No such thing as a dumb question! :altwink:

Where can I get the plastic sheeting

I usually go to my local hardward store and buy plastic sheeting that is used as paint drops. The size I buy is big enough to cut in 1/2 and get 2 uses out of one sheet.

and space blankets (the ones with the blue side and the reflective side)?

I got mine online, don't remember where but if you google it (I think thermal space blankets?) you should find lots of spa supply stores online that sell them. You might even be able to find them in the camping supply dept.

Vegetable brushes, bowls, spatulas etc.

Thanks for replying to my post.

While you can certainly buy these from online spa supply stores, I bought mine in either the hardware or kitchen dept. in my local store.

Plus how do I clean the space blanket and brushes?

The blanket can be cleaned using a sanitizing spray cleaner and a clean towel. Spray it on and wipe it off. I actually throw the brushes in with the laundry and wash them in the washing machine. Just make sure you don't accidentally put them in the dryer.

You can charge whatever you feel is an appropriate price.

Angie
Arete
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Arete wrote:Where can I get ... space blankets (the ones with the blue side and the reflective side)?

I'd suggest using the emergency mylar blankets instead - you can get them for as low as $1.00 per on Amazon. Maybe even less expensive elsewhere.

It makes clean-up much easier. Roll it up and toss it. This is what we used in a large day spa I worked in years ago. Worked like a charm.

Also, instead of using plastic sheeting, we used heavy thread count sheets on the floor. Again, clean up was much easier this way. Roll them up (take it outside... shake it off / or just roll them up and take home). Wash.

I see they have the blue/silver space blankets at Sam's for about $10.

REI carries one in red/silver for about $17.

Amazon has it in multiple colors - orange, olive, red & blue + silver. - http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdoors- ... anket+blue

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 am

Arete, are you dual licensed? In my state our license for MT does not allow us to do such spa services as salt glows, sugar scrubs, etc
Each state is different however... so would recommend you check it out in the state in which you reside.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Arete on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:01 pm

maestra wrote:Arete, are you dual licensed? In my state our license for MT does not allow us to do such spa services as salt glows, sugar scrubs, etc
Each state is different however... so would recommend you check it out in the state in which you reside.

Im in Florida and we can perform treatments such as wraps and sugar scrubs
Arete
Fresh Hands

Postby squash_blsm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 am

I would suggest checking into whether or not your clients would even want these services. They are costly in materials and supplys...and labor intensive. I doubt you can charge more by using "organic" products - but you can try it. :D

The body treatments (scrubs/wraps) are the LEAST likely of any of my services to be booked at my current location. But I keep them on the menu as massage add-ons for the clients that like them.

But otherwise - yes, I have gotten a lot of treatment supplies at other than spa supply stores. Plastic sheeting - defintely look at Home Depot. I hate the way the disposable mylar space blankets sound - they are so noisy and crinkly! Get the reusable ones that you can wipe down from a camping supply place for less than half the cost of what they charge at pro shops.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Return to Spa Techniques