Additional Curriculum Hours State to State?

Interested in a particular curriculum or just want to find more information about a certain institution. Looking for colleagues from your alma mater? Gather 'round, we've got a place for you.

Moderator: stonegirl

Additional Curriculum Hours State to State?

Postby Arete on Tue May 28, 2013 3:41 pm

I am LMT in Florida & I already have 600 hours of massage education under my belt, Im looking to attend another school in Virginia to get an additional 400, how would I go about making sure those hours are added to my Florida State license?
Arete
Fresh Hands

Re: Additional Curriculum Hours State to State?

Postby pueppi on Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 am

I would contact the Florida state massage board first and ask if they have ever had someone transfer hours from a school in another state to Florida as an "add-on" of education hours.

Then, I would contact the school you plan to go to in Virginia to ask if they have ever transferred hours before. See what their protocol is and how they normally do this.

Then, I would follow up again with the Florida state massage board and let them know what your school in Virginia proposes to do and make sure that will fly with them.

Of course, I usually double and triple check things like this because depending on the person you get on the phone you may get a different answer than if you call back in 15 minutes and get another person.

A prime example of this happened to me just the other day when I contacted Microsoft to purchase "Office 2010"... I called and spoke to someone about the new version I purchased that doesn't work with Windows XP. He told me I needed 2010 and that I could purchase it through them. So, I took the wrong version back to the store (they aren't carrying 2010) in our local stores anymore. Then I came back to work and got on the phone with Microsoft again and spoek to another gentleman who told me they *don't* have a 2010 I can purchase and that I would need to get it from Amazon or whereever. After 15 mins. on the phone with him and figuring out he was clueless as to what he was jabbering about, I hung up and called Microsoft again, and got a lady who was able to create the transaction for a 2010 version right that minute. I purchased it via credit card, it was sent to me and the rest is history. You just can't trust everyone on the phone, even though they tell you they know what's going on.

I'd be sure to get as much in writing too.

Please come back and tell us the proceedure and how it all shakes out for you. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby MTSI on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Good response by Pueppi. I'd like to add that take the specific courses and get them individually pre screened and approved prior to putting in the time and investment in getting your hours.
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY
MTSI
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:07 am

Get details in writing from each party -- course, hours and transferability.

Have VA describe the process they use to communicate with FL, get FL to sign off on it.

Get the name of the school director and a manger/dept head in FL for accountability...a year from now who knows who you will be talking to
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Return to School & Curriculum Discussion