International Massage Schools?

Interested in a particular curriculum or just want to find more information about a certain institution. Looking for colleagues from your alma mater? Gather 'round, we've got a place for you.

Moderator: stonegirl

divarose1
Fresh Hands

International Massage Schools?

Post by divarose1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

Has anyone attended or researched international massage schools? I'm looking at leaving my job and hometown to go to massage school and would like to take advantage of an international (and warm) opportunity. Costa Rica, Bali, Hawaii (I know it isn't int'l but it is warm!), Mexico..others? I've found a good looking program in Costa Rica, nothing accredited in Bali, and a selection in Hawaii.

I'd love any input from others on good places to look internationally for massage school. I would like to practice in the US (primarily California) afterwards so it would need to prepare me for board certification here.

Thanks!
Rose

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: International Massage Schools?

Post by JasonE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 am

divarose1 wrote:Has anyone attended or researched international massage schools? I'm looking at leaving my job and hometown to go to massage school and would like to take advantage of an international (and warm) opportunity. Costa Rica, Bali, Hawaii (I know it isn't int'l but it is warm!), Mexico..others? I've found a good looking program in Costa Rica, nothing accredited in Bali, and a selection in Hawaii.

I'd love any input from others on good places to look internationally for massage school. I would like to practice in the US (primarily California) afterwards so it would need to prepare me for board certification here.

Thanks!
Rose
While this is an appealing idea, I counsel against choosing a massage school based on the beauty of its surroundings.

Where do you plan to practice massage? Do the laws regarding licensing specify what you will need to learn, number of hours (devoted to various topics and/or total), accreditation, etc? If so, make certain that the massage school you attend will give you the training needed to practice legally.

Most/all of the information you need should be available online via relevant government web sites. If not, look up the contact information for the relevant massage board and ask for guidance regarding how to prepare.

In general, I usually recommend being overprepared. You can also hedge your bets by choosing an accredited massage school based in the geographic area that you wish to practice in.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Return to “School & Curriculum Discussion”