Ayurvedic Panchakarma seminar - I'M ACCEPTED!!!!

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

shivashiva
Registered Member

Ayurvedic Panchakarma seminar - I'M ACCEPTED!!!!

Post by shivashiva » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:24 pm

I just had to squee a little bit :smt040 :smt041 At the Ayurvedic Institute this June/July they are having a two week Panchakarma training. Panchakarma is basically a healing cleansing series of treatments including massage, shirodhara, sweating, herbs, diet, enemas, etc that one does from 3-7 days or more in a row. I would be learning more about how to administer this therapy. I already know a little *holds up fingers a few centimeters apart*

The reason I am so excited is because I do not technically have the prereqs (though I have ayurvedic experience and training, I have not graduated from an *approved* program), but I was able to get a phone interview and I passed! On the condition that I take a homestudy course that I was already wanting to take anyway, so this is just a really good excuse to do it.

After I go, I will be sure to post an update of some sort and let ya'll know what it was like.

I'm SO EXCITED! How can I wait 4 months?!?!
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Congratulations!!
Sharon

AngEngland
Registered Member

Post by AngEngland » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:05 am

That sounds really interesting. When I did my brief study about aryuvedic treatments it seemed like some of the traditional "steps" in this particular treatment were outside a massage therapists scop of practice (enemas for example).

I'm curious as a therapist - do you just do the parts you can do? Are you licensed seperately for the aryuvedic treatments that fall outside scope as an MT? Do clients just do other parts at home themselves if they feel like it? Etc.

Just curious and fascinated!! I've loved your posts about some of the other things you do. :-D

Angela <><

shivashiva
Registered Member

Post by shivashiva » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks guys!

Yes, the things that are out of our scope of practice I would just explain to them how to do it at home if they want. I think in some Panchakarma clinics they may even do the enemas right there with the rest of the treatment, but they are "self-administered" because the client inserts it themself.

The other things that are similar to that are: Vamana (basically induced vomitting) and virechana (induced diarreaha). Both are induced through various herbs or diet practices. Ideally in this kind of cleansing practice you would be an Ayurvedic Practitioner who has been well schooled (500 hrs) in these things and be able to tell the client how to do it themself. Or there is an Ayurvedic Practitioner who is handy who can be consulted.
Are you licensed seperately for the aryuvedic treatments that fall outside scope as an MT?
Yes. I am not currently, but I hope to be in the future. There is a local woman trained in Ayurveda, she did a lot of training in India, that I hope to be able to use as a consultant. I am also hoping that between my 300 hr homestudy course, this upcoming seminar (74 hrs) and other trainings I have done, that I will be on my way there. The Ayurvedic training that is recognized is 500 hrs and actually does not include much if any hands on bodywork, which is a big part of the system so I feel I'm already way ahead. I hope!
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats

AngEngland
Registered Member

Post by AngEngland » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:51 am

Yeah - I know traditionally there was even a specific blood letting componant so I wondered about the integration into a massage therapy type setting.

That sounds very reasonable and I appreciate you taking the time to answer. :-)
Congratulations on getting in for the course you wanted. Your knowledge must have been evident during the interview - I know you're going to learn a lot!
Angela <><

shivashiva
Registered Member

Post by shivashiva » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:09 am

Oh yeah, the bloodletting! I think, at least in the West, they pretty much don't do that any more. It's called Rakta Moksha and they now use other methods to get similar results (purifying the blood): herbs, gem therapy, or color water therapy.

Here is a great introductory article: Introduction to Panchakarma by Vasant Lad It explains the various parts of panchakarma and their purposes. Massage and sweating are actually preperatory measures leading up to the grosser things we're talking about.

Induced Diarreaha does NOT sound fun. I guess I'll find out, since we will be receiving these treatments as well during the seminar, from classmates, of course. :)
Shiva

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:39 am

That's exciting! I have a client who went through a month-long panchakarma retreat many years ago. He tells me (repeatedly HA!) that it was one of the greatest experiences of his life.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 am

Isn't it great to get the training you really feel is perfect for you? Congratulations, it sounds like it's a wonderful fit.
-Beccy

IntuitiveHealers
Registered Member

Post by IntuitiveHealers » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Vasant Lad is the greatest teacher of Ayurveda in the West. I am so happy for you!

Now, how much does it cost? :)
Blessings and Be well!

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 am

Great! You will have to tell us all about it!

shivashiva
Registered Member

Post by shivashiva » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:51 pm

I will definitely post back about it! Believe me, ya'll will probably be tired of hearing about it. :lol:

The cost is *cringe* $1695 for 76 hrs continuing ed. It is steep, considering I will also have to find lodging, and I have to do the homestudy course which costs about $450. and buy about 5-6 books.

But honestly, compared to my other options (go to india, or do the whole residential, 2yr program) it's a steal. I'm happy. And yes, getting to learn from Vasant Lad will be a treat.

And BJB-LMP, you put it perfectly. It feels like an exact fit...and I'm so blessed to have it only @3 hrs away from me!
Shiva

karansharma
Fresh Hands

Re: Ayurvedic Panchakarma seminar - I'M ACCEPTED!!!!

Post by karansharma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:57 am

Ayurvedic treatments require years of skills and experience along with an environment that should be equally alleviating. The creation of such an atmosphere becomes easier in places which have nature in abundance.

Return to “CEU's”