Finding quality training/dvds

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

tofupup
Fresh Hands

Finding quality training/dvds

Post by tofupup » Sat May 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Hello-

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but....

There are so many dvds and seminars out there, both for CEs and for general knowledge. I've taken several weekend seminars that were a h-u-g-e waste of time and money. Ditto with dvds. I read through reviews and whatnot, but I still end up with some not-so-good stuff. How do you all "weed through" all the fluff out there? I know word of mouth is good, but any other ideas?

Right now, I'm looking at lomi lomi training (or loku lomi), and sports massage. I was thinking of getting the dvd/CE thing from Tom and Donna......any thoughts? And there are a few dvds set on sports massage (Russian) that look like they might be good. Any opinions as to the best one?

I know hands on training is the best, but I've wasted so much time and money on crummy stuff.

I really appreciate any thoughts you have in general, and regarding the two mentioned dvd ideas.

Thank you so much!

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Finding quality training/dvds

Post by pueppi » Sun May 26, 2013 6:10 am

I'd suggest reading through this thread for Excellent CEU Courses, and when you run across an "excellent" one, adding it for others to read about.

I'd also suggest going through all of the threads in our Resources section. There are some good DVD's listed in that section.

Additionally, I've tried to create this "Topic" search for you, which may also help to see what else may be lurking on the forum.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

tofupup
Fresh Hands

Post by tofupup » Sun May 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Thank you for your effort on my behalf. I've been perusing this forum for a little while now, and you are always so helpful to everyone. It's so nice to have a generous person around!

I've read the CEUs thread already, but not the resources one, so I shall check that one out.

If I'd spent as much time practicing a new modality as I have trying to find good resources, I 'd be a master already :)

Thanks again.

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm

tofupup wrote:Hello-

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but....

There are so many dvds and seminars out there, both for CEs and for general knowledge. I've taken several weekend seminars that were a h-u-g-e waste of time and money. Ditto with dvds. I read through reviews and whatnot, but I still end up with some not-so-good stuff. How do you all "weed through" all the fluff out there? I know word of mouth is good, but any other ideas?

Right now, I'm looking at lomi lomi training (or loku lomi), and sports massage. I was thinking of getting the dvd/CE thing from Tom and Donna......any thoughts? And there are a few dvds set on sports massage (Russian) that look like they might be good. Any opinions as to the best one?

I know hands on training is the best, but I've wasted so much time and money on crummy stuff.

I really appreciate any thoughts you have in general, and regarding the two mentioned dvd ideas.

Thank you so much!
It would be easier to understand what recommendations to give you if I knew what you considered to be a huge waste of time, or "fluff". What are you looking for? Forget about modalities, because that's a secondary thing. What is it that would make a seminar, DVD, or whatever NOT a huge waste of time? What are the things you have found to be good investments? What is it you want to change/improve about your skills/practice?

When we know what you are looking to avoid and hoping to find, it will be easier to give you specific recommendations.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

LineageofLight
Fresh Hands

Post by LineageofLight » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Aloha BodyworkOnline!

My whole life has changed profoundly studying Lomi Lomi Nui with Jody Soltau Mountain. Jody studied directly under Abraham Kawai'i and transmits many kaona (or layers) of this transformational work! There is a training coming up November 8-13th on Maui.

Much Aloha,

Angelina
Maui Organizer
http://www.LineageofLight.com

Return to “CEU's”